The Red Machine (Vancouver Island gms)

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Hey boys,

I just got a copy of Martin Lawrence's The Red Machine. I haven't finished it yet, but it's absolutely incredible so far. I think I remember Pit reading it a few months ago. It's super hard to find, so consider this an offer (if you're close to me in Victoria) to borrow the book. From what I've read so far, there's some stuff in there that is VERY hard to find anywhere else about Soviet hockey, and I think it's one of those books that just about everyone should read. After reading the chapter on Bobrov, the guy is being completely dropped from my radar in these drafts and the top 100 list.

I recommend everyone do whatever you can to get your hands on this book.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hey boys,

I just got a copy of Martin Lawrence's The Red Machine. I haven't finished it yet, but it's absolutely incredible so far. I think I remember Pit reading it a few months ago. It's super hard to find, so consider this an offer (if you're close to me in Victoria) to borrow the book. From what I've read so far, there's some stuff in there that is VERY hard to find anywhere else about Soviet hockey, and I think it's one of those books that just about everyone should read. After reading the chapter on Bobrov, the guy is being completely dropped from my radar in these drafts and the top 100 list.

I recommend everyone do whatever you can to get your hands on this book.

Hehehehe, I thought this was addressed to us (me and Jungo) at first...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've also got myself a copy and though I haven't read it yet, I have skimmed it and it looked fantastic. There's another one by Martin that is easier to find, "From Behind the Red Line", which I currently have on the way.

I also would never take Bobrov unless I could get him as a 2nd line LW with a 21st round pick or later (and I was sure of this in advance, so I left the spot open for him) - So I'm quite interested to see what the chapter on him has to say.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
I've also got myself a copy and though I haven't read it yet, I have skimmed it and it looked fantastic. There's another one by Martin that is easier to find, "From Behind the Red Line", which I currently have on the way.

I also would never take Bobrov unless I could get him as a 2nd line LW with a 21st round pick or later (and I was sure of this in advance, so I left the spot open for him) - So I'm quite interested to see what the chapter on him has to say.

I won't ruin it, and it doesn't completely ruin him for me, I still like him. However, if you look at my top 100 list, I had him ridiculously high.

"From Behind the Red Line" is a great read as well, probably more entertaining, but isn't as jam-packed with information as "The Red Machine".

Get this though: I found "The Red Machine" in almost perfect condition, hard cover, at a used book store for $8.99!

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I won't ruin it, and it doesn't completely ruin him for me, I still like him. However, if you look at my top 100 list, I had him ridiculously high.

"From Behind the Red Line" is a great read as well, probably more entertaining, but isn't as jam-packed with information as "The Red Machine".

Get this though: I found "The Red Machine" in almost perfect condition, hard cover, at a used book store for $8.99!

Damn, that's awesome. It's usually at least $40 used every time I've seen it.

It certainly is a great book, it gives a ton of detail about Soviet players that I had never read before. There's also some good stuff about some of the great Czech players in the book too. It's certainly worth the read if you have a chance.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
raleh, I found the lines you're referring to. No wonder he had so many goals in Russia. Doesn't sound coachable at all. Combining that with the international results against nobodies, I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole in the ATD.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
raleh, I found the lines you're referring to. No wonder he had so many goals in Russia. Doesn't sound coachable at all. Combining that with the international results against nobodies, I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole in the ATD.

I really like the line by the American coach. Something along the lines of "Bobrov didn't hurt us at all. He just stood between the red line and our blue line like an idiot."

What's funny is that no matter how good he was at putting the puck in the net, the NHL was probably at one of its defensive peaks and there likely wasn't an NHL coach out there who would even consider him as an option.

I also get the impression that he was pretty easy to push around. He definitely seemed to lack toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad