The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Collison: April 6th

1713306674478.png

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tony was asked if he was really listening to fans when they pretty loudly expressed that air8ng the Punk footage was a bad idea.

His response was he had a great phone call from someone at WBD about last week's rating and that the ratings were the TRUE measure of fan's opinions.

So I wonder what this week's ratings tell him

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Interesting look at ratings...taking it at face value it's correct

Ehh there context issues when just looking at pure percentage numbers as the size of the percentage entirely depends on the initial size of the audience.

AEW's rating dip is also a more recent phenomenon.

Y2Y is generally a better way to judge this.

It's also a bit of a fruitless discussion because it only matters if the ratings are good enough in the network's eyes, and not whether they are lighting the world on fire.

Smackdown is one of the few shows on TV that has seen growth but FOX still felt it wasn't worth the price because it feels wrestling audiences are too low brow and broke.

If WBD is satisfied then they will get another lucrative TV Deal.

If there is anything to be alarmed about on the business side of AEW it's the not the ratings, it's the attendance, but even that isn't solely a booking issue, but a touring schedule issue too

Reactions: Fro

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some of it is also just the drop in people who have cable.

WWE has been weirdly unique yhe last year or two on bucking that trend but even they see the trend and put their flagship on streaming

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lowest quarters were Young Bucks promo and Trios match along with the back half of the women's match with the BCG and Acclaimed backstage stuff.

Highest quarter (outside of the first which is always the highest thanks to lead in) was the mixed tag.

Jericho did well at the 9PM quarter along with the main event match

The May/Purazzao match and post match stuff fell below 700K. A lot of people on twitter and reddit still talk up the Timeless Toni gimmick but her segments have not been drawing well for a while.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Tony was asked if he was really listening to fans when they pretty loudly expressed that air8ng the Punk footage was a bad idea.

His response was he had a great phone call from someone at WBD about last week's rating and that the ratings were the TRUE measure of fan's opinions.

So I wonder what this week's ratings tell him

I highly doubt anybody from WBD was calling him to celebrate getting ratings back to average anyways lol.

That's the kind of thing you might expect from USA after popping a 3.15M quarter on RAW for the first time in nearly 5 years. Not, "We got our numbers back to what they were 3 weeks ago".

He either didn't get a call at all, or calls are a totally normal, weekly thing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AEW is only ‘in trouble’ if they can’t get a new tv deal, or get a shitty one, like if they ended up on paramount or something.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Dave claims live west coast cost them 8% which would put the number at 742k which is better but not amazing.

Competition definitely a factor but I have to imagine you would want to be around 800k for the first episode after a successful PPV.

Next week is where I am curious because silly or not, this episode created some buzz so they should see a bump next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad