The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
AEW - 963,000
NXT - 698,000
Pretty good week for both considering what was competing. Gained in the key demo and ranking, lost viewers to the NBA and MLB playoffs.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
AEW - 963,000
NXT - 698,000
Pretty good week for both considering what was competing. Gained in the key demo and ranking, lost viewers to the NBA and MLB playoffs.
Good week for both? I wouldn’t say that.

AEW more than doubled the persons 18-49 demo, almost tripled males 18-49, tripled persons 18-34 and quadrupled males 12-34.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Good week for both? I wouldn’t say that.

AEW more than doubled the persons 18-49 demo, almost tripled males 18-49, tripled persons 18-34 and quadrupled males 12-34.
Well it was definitely a better week for AEW as they are killing NXT in the important demo's but it wasn't a bad week for NXT. Trying to be nice lol.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Well it was definitely a better week for AEW as they are killing NXT in the important demo's but it wasn't a bad week for NXT. Trying to be nice lol.
NXT is what it is. I just don’t see any way they’re going to compete with AEW’s demo share as long as they’re still in Full Sail, and until they can get that WWE stench off it. It’s still a WWE brand and WWE has turned people off over the years.

They can fix the Full Sail problem. The second one? It’ll take a long time.

Once the Full Sail problem is fixed though you have to think if they’ll have a problem persist that has plagued them before: selling on the road.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Also, I don’t think WWE expected NXT to not be connecting with the younger crowd the way they haven’t thus far. For the longest time, NXT was the “cool” alternative to main roster programming and as soon as a non-WWE wrestling show hits mainstream television, reality came crashing down for them.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
hot take: moving out of Full Sail will change absolutely nothing on the ratings and NXT will lose its unique intimate feel

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
hot take: moving out of Full Sail will change absolutely nothing on the ratings and NXT will lose its unique intimate feel
I tried watching both live last night and NXT just feels second rate when compared to AEW. I don’t consider it an intimate feel. I find it to look low budget and it made me not want to continue watching, so I turned it off until the final segment.

If you’re going to move the show to contend against AEW, you can’t look like that. Then again, like I said, if I were WWE I’d be worried about looking bad on TV and not being able to sell other arenas even 60% to capacity.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

AEW isn't selling out as it is and that visual aspect is their main advantage. NXT should just stick with what they have. Folks will complain that NXT is turning into Raw or Smackdown if they do move the show on a weekly basis. You can't win.

As I stated last week AEW will end up with about the same figures TNA did on Spike. More will continue to turn out as they realize it's more niche viewing than another WCW and wrestling war/boom scenario.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
AEW isn't selling out as it is and that visual aspect is their main advantage. NXT should just stick with what they have. Folks will complain that NXT is turning into Raw or Smackdown if they do move the show on a weekly basis. You can't win.

As I stated last week AEW will end up with about the same figures TNA did on Spike. More will continue to turn out as they realize it's more niche viewing than another WCW and wrestling war/boom scenario.
It is pretty disingenuous to say that like it is a bad thing. Ratings 10-12 years ago are entirely different then ratings expectations today. It isn't a valid comparison in anyway what so ever. The demand for AEW is there they just need to get a control on the secondary market. Not sure how you can be so confident that so many more people will tune out....because you think so?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

You say that as if Smackdown or Raw have been selling out? They’ve had far more attendance issues than whatever you’re implying with AEW.

The fact is if you’re flipping back and forth, you’re going to stay on the show that looks major league: AEW.

TNA was also hitting viewers in the 900k-1.1m range at their peak, so I don’t know what you’re implying there either. TNA failed by trying to be WWE, AEW has made it clear they’re not going to do that and with the wrestling heavy product that’s evident. It’s also massively appealing to the key demo far more than NXT.

No one with a clue was expecting a boom period.

Oct 18, 2011
AEW - 963,000
NXT - 698,000
I expected a drop but that's not much of one, the concerning thing for AEW is every week viewership has gone down but next week they won't have the world series to compete against

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t know what more NXT can do to fight back in the demos because they really are presenting a high quality show younger people like.

Maybe it is the low budget look from Full Sail. It doesn’t seem as cool when it seems so minor league.

It doesn’t help them that a segment of WWE only fans won’t watch NXT because it isn’t a formulaic as RAW and SD.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don’t know what more NXT can do to fight back in the demos because they really are presenting a high quality show younger people like.

Maybe it is the low budget look from Full Sail. It doesn’t seem as cool when it seems so minor league.

It doesn’t help them that a segment of WWE only fans won’t watch NXT because it isn’t a formulaic as RAW and SD.

Plus they've got so much talent whose names people can't pronounce or even spell. ;)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think a factor in it is there is probably a number of people in that key demo that are so fed up with WWE that they wont watch NXT either that are watching AEW because it is something different and fresh.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Raw’s ratings are so bad in the UK they thought it was a computer glitch. Only 3,000 people watched Raw.

Btw @GKJ you got that good breakdown stuff fam

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well isn't it on from like 2am-5am over there?

They'll never pull the same ratings overseas that they do here. That said.....3k is still pretty bad. :laugh:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
WWE numbers have completely tanked over here in the past few years. As soon as we got into this current crappy era the viewers left, unlike the US where they mostly kept watching. When the TV deal was up last year, Sky wasn't interested in keeping WWE at all, and they moved to BT.

For some more UK number, from the Observer:

In the U.K., the Sunday morning [AEW] show has been dropped, but the Friday night time slot has been moved up to 10 p.m. on ITV 4, which is a major upgrade from an 11:20 p.m. start. Week two ratings in the U.K. were down across the board, although at this point given the U.S. example of week two drops, that’s not a surprise. Although the U.K. did not have the huge TNT level promotion going into week one. The Monday night ITV show on 10/14 at 11:45 p.m. drew 232,000 viewers, which was down 17 percent. The first airing, on 10/11 at 11:20 p.m. on ITV 4, averaged 68,000 viewers, which was down 16 percent. What is great news is that the first Friday airing on 10/4 did great DVR numbers. That show did 31,000 viewers live, but it did 8,000 on VOD and 57,000 on DVR, for a total of 96,000 viewers. As far as audience share, the 2.1 percent of the television audience watching the Friday night version (the first one) made it the 14th best share of all programming on the station during the week, behind mostly movies and the Rugby World Cup. The Sunday morning show on ITV 4 at 8:20 a.m. averaged 24,000 viewers, which was down 34 percent. Really, the most impressive U.K. number for the past weeks may have been Impact, which did 77,000 viewers on 10/18, which was more than AEW did live the previous Friday. WWE numbers have been bad, as the 10/14 Raw did 38,000 viewers, down from 48,000 for the 10/7 show that featured Tyson Fury, who is a huge name in the U.K. Smackdown on 10/18 was down to 23,000 viewers. Raw on 10/21 did 3,000 viewers. It was so bad people thought it was a computer glitch but we’re told the data was sound.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
AEW/NXT comparisons to TNA are interesting, worthwhile, and fair, but remember at the time WWE was pulling in double (?) what they get now.

If AEW can hit the demos they're hitting, 1-1.5 million in the states should be good enough. (as long as they do good PPV numbers too)

wrestling is still cold overall. No idea why people thought we were set for a boom period.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
AEW was up to 150,700 viewers in Canada with no Leafs competition, but the World Series ratings in Canada were close to Leafs numbers. AEW is HUGE in Canada. That’s the equivalent of 1.5m viewers in America in the TV industry.

For comparisons sake, Raw did 169,800 (Leafs competition) and Smackdown did 125,800.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
AEW was up to 150,700 viewers in Canada with no Leafs competition, but the World Series ratings in Canada were close to Leafs numbers. AEW is HUGE in Canada. That’s the equivalent of 1.5m viewers in America in the TV industry.

For comparisons sake, Raw did 169,800 (Leafs competition) and Smackdown did 125,800.
They are 100% going to have to do a show in Canada early in the new year you would think. Show is popular here and they have a couple Canadians at the top of the card. It is a no brainier.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad