Post-Game Talk: The Rangers Win the League!!

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
40s were the worst for me. TBH - 50s have been better/easier. So, if you guys learn this now, and I know it sucks…you should be in cruise mode for more years later.

In my experience it's a whole lot of life changes that mess up your diet and weight...you're more busy in your 30's and 40's, less time for leisure and exercise, things pile up...I also tend to think I eat worse if I don't pay attention to it but some of that might be from many many years of consistent and intense exercise. I'm programmed to eat a lot, which is bad if I'm not also exercising. But, I do a shitload of exercise so it works out.

it's the tiredness and extra pain and slowness to recover that sucks as you hit your 40's

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's very easy to look at this team that we watch every day and think they aren't good enough, despite their record. As well as they have done, we see the flaws, the things that could cost us in the playoffs.

I think what we tend to forget, however (and I'm guilty of this too, at times), is that the fans of other teams are doing the same exact thing. They see the flaws in their teams that we don't see because we don't watch them in the same way we watch the Rangers.

A team can't do better than the President's Trophy in the regular season. If we win the cup, I'm not going to bemoan how we looked doing it. In the end, advanced stats mean absolutely nothing. Only the actual results matter.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Crazy how many opponents we could still see at this point, only team of the 4 I would hate to play is Pitt, just because of Crosby, guy is a machine even at 36. Caps have that annoying factor plus Wilson is going to run around like an idiot. Detroit would be preferred just to avoid those two elements.

The reason the avoid the Penguins... "The Narrative." The NHL has been doing everything they can to get them in. This doesn't even include two obvious no-goals that were called goals by the refs then quickly overturned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_103013_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_103013_ESPN.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's very easy to look at this team that we watch every day and think they aren't good enough, despite their record. As well as they have done, we see the flaws, the things that could cost us in the playoffs.

I think what we tend to forget, however (and I'm guilty of this too, at times), is that the fans of other teams are doing the same exact thing. They see the flaws in their teams that we don't see because we don't watch them in the same way we watch the Rangers.

A team can't do better than the President's Trophy in the regular season. If we win the cup, I'm not going to bemoan how we looked doing it. In the end, advanced stats mean absolutely nothing. Only the actual results matter.
for sure....I think most other teams, even the other elite teams, have a bunch of crappy games or incomplete games and have fans ranting and raving about how "they are lazy and just not trying hard enough tonight" and stuff like that

no team is a dominant powerhouse anymore and 82 games is an absurdly long slog for players to bring 100% game in and game out

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Here's my (incomplete) list of categories where the Rangers are at least top-5 to help you explain how special this team is:

Top-5 Best Goalie
Top-5 Best Forward
Top-5 Best Defenseman
Top-5 Best PP
Top-5 Best PK
Top-5 Best defense scoring
Top-5 Come from behind wins
Top-5 Wins after trailing in the 3rd

The team set franchise records in win and points. Second ever player scoring 120 points in a season.
Folks seems to concentrate on much smaller negatives than all the significant positives that were components of President Trophy run.
Top 5 head coach

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Here's my (incomplete) list of categories where the Rangers are at least top-5 to help you explain how special this team is:

Top-5 Best Goalie
Top-5 Best Forward
Top-5 Best Defenseman
Top-5 Best PP
Top-5 Best PK
Top-5 Best defense scoring
Top-5 Come from behind wins
Top-5 Wins after trailing in the 3rd

The team set franchise records in win and points. Second ever player scoring 120 points in a season.
Folks seems to concentrate on much smaller negatives than all the significant positives that were components of President Trophy run.

Yes but have you considered the fact that Jacob Trouba and Barclay Goodrow are overpaid?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It's really, really hard to win games in this league and the Rangers won the most. That's impressive. We can bitch and moan about line combos and D pairings till next September but this is a good hockey team with some terrific hockey players. If they simply play up to their abilities, like they've played most of the season, I like their chances against anyone.

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
The reason the avoid the Penguins... "The Narrative." The NHL has been doing everything they can to get them in. This doesn't even include two obvious no-goals that were called goals by the refs then quickly overturned.
That’s such nonsense it’s actually hilarious that you’d seriously believe that.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I think the Caps would be a good matchup for us but i've already seen like 400 Rangers-Caps playoff games so i really don't want them again

Nah killing Ovi and Wilson would be as sweet as it ever was. No way they have the D/Goaltending for a 7 game series. No Jack Hughes game breaker bullshit to deal with or some mystery goalie who has no book written on him.

Can we please cruise a series for one gosh darn time please.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I've been thinking about how, for many, as outstanding as the season has been (and as a Ranger fan for 60+ years this has most certainly been among the best I can remember), it just doesn't feel that great. I remember one post, here or on another board, where someone said, "We have the best record in the league...too bad we stink." These reactions are certainly the result of social media....by nature a negative platform. I think that if the boards were active in say 1972 (that team went to the SC finals) there would have been much criticism. I can imagine the negative reactions even to 1994 when we went through a few rough patches. Negative reactions, as justified as many are, tend to cloud out and obscure all the positives. I'm kind of upset myself for not feeling better about this team than I should. This has been an outstanding season. You don't win the President's Trophy, have as great a record as we do, by accident. We should always remember how great this team has been and how much joy they have brought us, over and over during the year. Yes, some players deserve the criticism they have received. Yes, at times this team has driven us to distraction. But overall? We should appreciate all the pleasure this team has brought us this year. I don't know what the playoffs will bring. There are so many really good teams this year capable of winning the Cup. When people ask me about the Rangers and whether they will win the Cup, I say, that certainly they can win the Cup...but do I expect them to? No. So much as to go right...and hopefully it will. But no matter what happens, this team will always hold a special place in my heart...among the best Ranger teams I have had the pleasure of rooting for in those 60+ years. As someone who saw the Rangers play during the Original Six in the old Garden, I am trying to keep negative feelings down, and just enjoy and appreciate what we have seen since last October.
i'm not sure why it is that i feel like their results outshine their process. There is so much randomness in hockey and so many factors, quantitative and qualitative, that are potentially massively impactful over small and large sample sizes.

I know it's true that we are hypersensitive to the teams flaws - igor's high glove, zib 5v5 dry spells, defensive breakdowns, etc. but i believe that the lack of dominance relative to other recent PT winners (boston florida colorado tampa) is widely espoused by media and fans alike. there is not as much fear of nyr as there was of those other teams. it's not just us being fans.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
You have to beat who's in front of you.

The only one that bothers me is Pittsburgh and that's just because it's kind of shitty to have to play them after winning 55 games.

They're at least top 15 in the league at everything 5v5. It's a fluke that they're not higher in the standings.
While I agree that I'd rather not face Pitt, didn't they have similar metrics/stats last year?

The point being is that it's potentially no longer an anomaly, it's just who they are. They're a good 5v5 team that isn't good at a bunch of other metrics. You could point to them and say 5v5, while important, isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Plus, Pitt no longer has Guetzel.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i'm not sure why it is that i feel like their results outshine their process. There is so much randomness in hockey and so many factors, quantitative and qualitative, that are potentially massively impactful over small and large sample sizes.

I know it's true that we are hypersensitive to the teams flaws - igor's high glove, zib 5v5 dry spells, defensive breakdowns, etc. but i believe that the lack of dominance relative to other recent PT winners (boston florida colorado tampa) is widely espoused by media and fans alike. there is not as much fear of nyr as there was of those other teams. it's not just us being fans.

I mean we had 114 points. That's on the lower end of the Presidents' Trophy (but more than we had last time we won it). So if instead of 1st in the league in a normal year say we're third. That's still a pretty good team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While I agree that I'd rather not face Pitt, didn't they have similar metrics/stats last year?

The point being is that it's potentially no longer an anomaly, it's just who they are. They're a good 5v5 team that isn't good at a bunch of other metrics. You could point to them and say 5v5, while important, isn't as big of a deal as some make it out to be. Plus, Pitt no longer has Guetzel.
Not having Guentzel is big. That guy murders us. Not looking forward to him in the second round.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I mean we had 114 points. That's on the lower end of the Presidents' Trophy (but more than we had last time we won it). So if instead of 1st in the league in a normal year say we're third. That's still a pretty good team.
be that as it may, i stand my thought about perception of dominance relative to other teams and results v process.

btw i acknowledge fully that what fans or media believe about any team does not matter. I am just speaking to the perception of this team and it's success. I think the internal struggle of the fan base to trust their process is related to the larger hockey community's relatively low estimation of their cup potential.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Have the Rangers ever had 5 70+ point scorers in a season?

Not back to 1980 which was as far as I looked.

Year we made the finals a decade ago (Jesus time flies) we didn't have a single 60 point scorer.

You give us that team's depth and we are odds on favorites. You give that team our PP and top players, they win the cup IMO.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad