The Race for the Calder Trophy

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Nice assist for Bedard there. Unfortunately, he won't get credited with a point because it was a goal for the other team.

I'm surprised at how long of a leash his been given. You want him to feel comfortable making reasonable mistakes, but it doesn't feel like he's being held accountable for his poor defensive decision making.
Are you just watching these games just to criticize him?

Like, I know he f***ed up there, but I went into this thread fully expecting you to call him out on it within seconds of it happening.

Odd you aren't calling out Faber's flubs immediately after they happen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Like, I know he f***ed up there, but I went into this thread fully expecting you to call him out on it within seconds of it happening.
I bring them up if I see something egregious, mostly because people kept asking for specific examples.
Probably because he doesn't make flubs like that, at least not when I've watched.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013

That's definitely Whiskey's goal, not sure what he has against an 18 year old kid. Maybe it was the Bedard > Jack Hughes stuff?

Edit: for real tho whiskey why do you hate Bedard so much. I enjoy your posts and I respect the hustle, but damn.

Last edited:

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

buddy you're not Bedard's girlfriend you can let go.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I bring them up if I see something egregious, mostly because people kept asking for specific examples.

Probably because he doesn't make flubs like that, at least not when I've watched.
How much will you give me if I roll a grenade into this mess and say that in three years the best defender from this rookie class will be Simon Nemec.

Oops…

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, why do we need to compare Faber against Heiskanen, Fox and Makar in a Calder discussion again?

Bedard's season seems pretty "meh" compared to Kucherov, MacKinnon and McDavid.

Maybe both are overrated. Any decent rookie goalie we can give all the votes to?
Pyotr "Pele" Kocketkov has entered the chat.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I can see it, good player and lots of potential!
You are supposed to respond with outrage and righteous indignation. Then I tell you that Bedard will make Faber irrelevant and then you tell me that Luke Hughes and Nemec are one step from playing in a beer league. This is hf get with the program.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Last nights Wild game was a pretty great example of points being a lackluster indicator of play. I thought Brock Faber was excellent, his zone exits were superb and outside of one shift with a board battle turnover, he didn’t miss a single pass all night. Couple of really nice takeaways in his own zone and really dictated play from the back end. It was the Sharks so concessions to be made there, but he executed near flawlessly. Fun stuff to watch!

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
i like the turn this thread took!
200w (2).gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
haters.gif

Bedard had a turnover, let me run to the thread real quick and post about it :eyeroll:

Doing yourself a disservice by not enjoying a potential HoF talent. I learned my lesson from the McDavid threads 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
These stats are completely meaningless to calder trophy and probably pretty dumb too
but still pretty interesting.

Connor Bedard been 82 times** on the ice when Blackhawks have gotten scored on
That is 1.40* goals against while on the ice per game, pace for 115* goals against (full 82 game season)
-74 even strength goals and 8* goals against while on PP, as in SH goals against

*worst in the NHL

His -39 +/- marker is the worst in the NHL among rookies and 4th worst in the NHL

** interesting tidbit, Kucherov's 92 goals against while on the ice, is the worst in the entire NHL
and his 1.31 avg is 2nd worst, right after Bedard

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ryan callahan

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
haters.gif

Bedard had a turnover, let me run to the thread real quick and post about it :eyeroll:

Doing yourself a disservice by not enjoying a potential HoF talent. I learned my lesson from the McDavid threads 3-4 years ago.

i feel like i've missed nothing. haven't seen any of his play (including highlights) other then the two games vs the devils (one of which he was rocked 3 minutes into the game by brendan f***ing smith)

i dont enjoy being force fed nor do i eat from a trough

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Bedard is gonna win it. I don't think it's worth debating. it's clear.

HOWEVER. While I do think Bedard is the better player, what Faber was doing this year was a bit more impressive to me. But I don't get a vote.

Reactions: rynryn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad