The problem starts with.....goaltending

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Only saw the first 30 minutes last night, but goaltending was definitely the difference. Backstrom got outplayed, at home, from a guy with a 3.00+ GAA.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
In this era of hockey, you don't need a Hasek or Roy to win the cup. You only need a hot goaltender at the right time to keep you in games and keep it close.

That being said. Backstrom stays but if he gets anything over $5.5M, I'm going up in arms about it.

Our defense is still below average. And I mean that as a team, not just the blueline

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
We've got Hackett, Kuemper, and Gustafsson waiting in the wings. No need to give Backstrom any contract at all, unless Harding can't play.

Exactly.. No reason for us overpaying for him to stay with those guys waiting on the side..

I personally think Hackett will go tandem with Harding next year, as long as Harding is capable of it.. Hackett would get the biggest amount of games and will come out of it with pride and fame.

If Backs leaves and Hards is not playing, i am thinking something Bernier something,something...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
We've got Hackett, Kuemper, and Gustafsson waiting in the wings. No need to give Backstrom any contract at all, unless Harding can't play.
Agreed.

Gustafsson deserves a legit chance to make the team next year. I can honestly see him making the team, because the Wild can always bring up Hackett or Kuemper mid-season if there is injuries or if Harding isn't working.

Billy Mays Here*

How the hell can some of you be blaming goaltending when we're only scoring one goal a game?

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
In this era of hockey, you don't need a Hasek or Roy to win the cup. You only need a hot goaltender at the right time to keep you in games and keep it close.

That being said. Backstrom stays but if he gets anything over $5.5M, I'm going up in arms about it.

Our defense is still below average. And I mean that as a team, not just the blueline
IMO, giving Backs anything over 4m this summer would be insane. 3 years max. But I just don't believe in Hacks yet either. Sucks to say but I think Hards is done.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
IMO, giving Backs anything over 4m this summer would be insane. 3 years max. But I just don't believe in Hacks yet either. Sucks to say but I think Hards is done.

He's almost 35 years old. Anything over a 1 year deal better be pretty damn low.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Doesn't really start with goaltending at all. While Backstrom's struggled at times, he's also stolen us a couple points and played well in other games where we've played terrible(Anaheim in particular). A goal allowed may deflate the team, but its not going to be the difference between guys burying scoring chances at the other end, which is the problem. It could lead to mental mistakes because guys don't trust our goaltending, but it shouldn't considering Backstrom's been a solid goalie in this league for quite some time now, particularly stopping initial shots.

We need to be smart, disciplined, and finish our chances, while competing for a full 60 minutes. We're not doing any of them really, and goaltending isn't going to make the difference there. Coaching isn't the problem either.

Personally I'm not confident at all with losing Backstrom after this season. Harding had a ton of concerns before MS, and now he's got that too. Considering how Fletcher always signs guys to hold down spots(Powe/Nystrom/Mitchell), I would expect Backstrom or another solid veteran to be brought in and if one of the youngsters is ready, Harding goes on waivers or gets traded(wouldn't shock me if we use a buyout on him either). Disagreed with giving Harding that contract and his play this season supports it.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My question is which of the Houston goalies would get called up right now?

Hackett has always been considered the goalie of the future but Kuemper is completely outplaying him in Houston right now. The organization always seems to give Hackett the benefit of the doubt but I'd love to see Kuemper get a shot if they need to call one of them up.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
As good as Backs has been the first few years under Lemaire, he hasn't really been great under Richards and Yeo. Now I think that's mostly on the coaching system and the personnel, if we are going forward with Yeo, I want a more athletic, reaction type goalie.

Not to mention the shootout...Backstrom has cost us quite a few shootouts over the years, and those points will add up when the team is in the playoff hunt.

Doesn't mean I don't love what Backs did for us from 2006-2008, but that was 7 years ago. He's older (turning 35 next week) and has had some little injuries over the years.

Not a bad thing to move on IMO...not everyone is Martin Brodeur.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
My 2 cents is this:

Harding isn't going to get a new contract and told he can be part of the team in some other capacity, or can sign on with another team if he so chooses. At this point...no one is giving him a #1 spot with exception of maybe the Isles. Think about what Russo said about Bouchard not coming back to this team because of medical issues....you think they want the same chances with a goalie? And I'm not even talking about his MS. Josh is a great guy, but he always gets hurt in some tragic way before he can either get hot or make consistent starts.

Sign Backstrom to 2 year deal for $4M with a NTC build into it. Tell him he's been great for this team and we want him around, but this is his last "#1 goaltender" contract for the Wild and will be splitting time 75/25 the first year and 50/50 the 2nd year with one of the younger guys. Once it is over, he can ride the pine for 2.5M or sign somewhere else.

And no I don't think goaltending is the reason we are losing games. Forwards not crashing boards in dump-n-chase and defense that can't transition between offense and defense is what is killing any type of momentum we can have with being an offensive threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad