Speculation: The Price Paid for Douglas Murray - What would the Flames have offered?

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
As per TSN "On Monday, the club [Pens] acquired defenceman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2013 NHL Draft and a conditional 2014 draft choice. The 2014 draft choice is conditional upon the Penguins winning two playoff rounds this year or the team re-signing Murray for the 2013-14 season. Should either event occur, the Sharks will receive the Penguins second round selection in 2014, should neither occur, the pick becomes a third-rounder."

What would the Flames have given up to get this package from the Pens?
I would have been fine trading Stempniak and Sarich for that pacakge
Seems like the Pens overpaid big time based on this picture alone

2854.gif

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
As per TSN "On Monday, the club [Pens] acquired defenceman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2013 NHL Draft and a conditional 2014 draft choice. The 2014 draft choice is conditional upon the Penguins winning two playoff rounds this year or the team re-signing Murray for the 2013-14 season. Should either event occur, the Sharks will receive the Penguins second round selection in 2014, should neither occur, the pick becomes a third-rounder."

What would the Flames have given up to get this package from the Pens?
I would have been fine trading Stempniak and Sarich for that pacakge
Seems like the Pens overpaid big time based on this picture alone

2854.gif

I would have traded Stempniak for that package.

I believe we will get a 3rd from some desperate team for Sarich.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I would have traded Stempniak for that package.

I believe we will get a 3rd from some desperate team for Sarich.

Assuming he wants to move. He does have a NTC, he's already won a cup with Tampa, he's from Saskatoon.

Sarich might not want to go anywhere.

To answer the topic, I think Murray in the right system is more valuable than Stempniak or Sarich (the sum of two players isn't necessarily more w/ cap hits). The Pens have lacked overall team D since they when they cup, and big and/or slow defensive-minded D like Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi weren't really replaced.

So, I think it was better acquistion for their team, the price seems a bit high though. Then again, the Preds gave up a 1st for Gaustad last trade deadline.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I call BS on this, why would he re-sign if he wanted out?

I can vouch for CoRD, I heard it mentioned on the radio last year. As for why he re-signed... maybe he didn't think he was going to get any other offers? Maybe Feaster promised him more playing time? Maybe his family wanted to stay here? There could be a multitude of reasons that no one here can understand.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I can vouch for CoRD, I heard it mentioned on the radio last year. As for why he re-signed... maybe he didn't think he was going to get any other offers? Maybe Feaster promised him more playing time? Maybe his family wanted to stay here? There could be a multitude of reasons that no one here can understand.

I'm not saying Warrner didn't say it, I am saying it wasn't true.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He signed because he likes money? :laugh: I dunno I would have bet thousands on him not resigning here. But he did, and he's still not playing.

Bottom line is, he will def waive his NTC to go somewhere else if asked.

Again he wanted out at the deadline last year but still wasn't used down the stretch and ended re-signing before free agency, if it sounds made up it probably is. If he wanted out he could have walked, but instead Calgary brought in Wideman and he stayed it makes no sense unless he never wanted out.

No proof of that at all.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Again he wanted out at the deadline last year but still wasn't used down the stretch and ended re-signing before free agency, if it sounds made up it probably is. If he wanted out he could have walked, but instead Calgary brought in Wideman and he stayed it makes no sense unless he never wanted out.

No proof of that at all.

Hard to say for sure. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would say no to a trade to a team whos making a cup run. He'd be Pejorative Slured to say here IMO.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hard to say for sure. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would say no to a trade to a team whos making a cup run. He'd be Pejorative Slured to say here IMO.

I think he would waive to go to a playoff team, I am merely saying that what Warrner said last year doesn't peove anything in fact because Sarich re-signed so quickly I think it proves Warrner made it up.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Wow I hope the other buyers are as generous as the Pens are.. Those two deals seem like an overpayment to me. If Murray can fetch a 2nd and a conditional pick, I have no doubt Stemps can get us atleast a 2nd.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He has never came out and said something like that before, or since. Warrener and Sarich are old buddies. Nobody thought he was lying then, you're the only one thinks he's lying now.

Regardless, most can agree Sarich would waive to go to a playoff team. Which was my point to begin with.

I thought he was lying then and I do now, again what makes more sense Sarich wanted out due to lack of playing time but after Calgary brought in Wideman he thought yea that press box wasn't that bad, or Warrner was wrong and Sarich never wanted out.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
The Pens did not overpay. Everyone on this site thinks teams overpaid when they dole out draft picks, because everyone overvalues draft picks here.

Remember Tim Erixon got two seconds and Horak. Is Tim Erixon more valuable than Douglas Murray? I wouldn't say so.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Pens did not overpay. Everyone on this site thinks teams overpaid when they dole out draft picks, because everyone overvalues draft picks here.

Remember Tim Erixon got two seconds and Horak. Is Tim Erixon more valuable than Douglas Murray? I wouldn't say so.

To completely different kinds of value there. Erixon's value lies in his ELC, his potential and his RFA status. Murray on the other hand holds value primarily because of his experience, followed by size and physicality. A team adds an Erixon when their building for down the road, they add Murray if they're looking to compete now.

But given the potential and on-ice play this year, Erixon > Murray. Murray's slow, ineffective and no where near as physical as he used to be. Given the comparison you provided, the Pens overpaid and badly for a 7th or 8th defensemen.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm primarily laughing at the fact that Sharks fans were PRAISING Wilson for getting rid of Murray when the trade was announced. Two 2nds for a guy they pretty much maligned is an outstanding return.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm primarily laughing at the fact that Sharks fans were PRAISING Wilson for getting rid of Murray when the trade was announced. Two 2nds for a guy they pretty much maligned is an outstanding return.

Dallas fans were doing the same with Brenden Morrow.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he is saying that Warrener is a lying sack of ****.

I share this opinion. Warrener has done everything possible to become Eric Francis 2.0 since he got his radio gig.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Yup. And since nothing has really changed, he should still want the same thing.

Sure it has (if it's even true). He then signed a 2-year contract for $2m a season and a NTC.

meh, the same thing happens every year on HF. And half the time, the veteran player goes to the new team and plays well, and makes HF look like the circus it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad