Value of: The price for the Flames to get rid of the Huberdeau contract this summer

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
No point in them moving him. The flames are going to be bad for a few years, they should burn off a few years of that contract before looking at moving it or buying it out. It’s not like they will need the cap for a few years.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Best shot would be to find a couple of the NHL's worst contracts, strap a top 10 pick to Hubby and hope they are optimistic enough to accept.

Maybe Gallagher + Anderson for Huburdeau, 2024 first and Wolf. Contracts would be expired by the time the flames are ready to compete again in 2027.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Best shot would be to find a couple of the NHL's worst contracts, strap a top 10 pick to Hubby and hope they are optimistic enough to accept.

Maybe Gallagher + Anderson for Huburdeau, 2024 first and Wolf. Contracts would be expired by the time the flames are ready to compete again in 2027.
I don't think this year's 1st and Wolf would be enough for the final 3-4 years of Huberdeau's contract to make it worth taking the risk of acquiring him. If Montreal made the deal it would be more painful to Calgary than that.

Price's LTIR
Gallagher
Anderson

For

25 1st
27 1st
Huberdeau
Pelletier
Wolf

Only reason Montreal does this is to free up $25M of deadcap in exchange for taking a risk on Huberdeau, allowing Hughes to start building his roster sooner. Price needs to go only because Montreal can't spend to the max with him only going on LTIR once the season starts, a problem Calgary should not have in a rebuild.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not one of them would cost more than 10.5x7, again except maybe reinhart. And I would take every single one of them over huberdeau in a heartbeat, not even considering contract.

I would not give huberdeau a penny more than 5 mill on a 7 year deal if he was an unrestricted free agent this offseason. a poor defensive winger with 27 goals combined in the last 2 years who's already in his 30s?
Huberdeau is a better player than a number of those forwards, who are all likely to sign contracts that have a fair amount of risk attached to them at the trail end of it.

For a team like the one I mentioned previously, it's a realistic alternative for a team that may not be at the top of the list of places those top UFAs are looking to sign.

As for Huberdeau at $5m, that's just nonsense. And that's coming from someone who criticized that signing from the very beginning. Calgary fans will remember.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Even if it was possible there's really not a ton of motivation for the Flames to pay to offload him right now. They have nothing to spend the cap space on anyway and they need those young assets a lot more than cap room. It'd be one thing if he was Alexei Yashin pouting and phoning it in every night bad juju in the room but he's not that, his attitude has been surprisingly good. He's just not producing at a level expected for his deal.

Which ya you could put a good portion of that on him but tbh the Flames don't have a single top line forward for him to play with. He was a star complimentary winger in Florida, he just has nobody to compliment here because this idiot franchise keeps thinking they can build around wingers.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It’s immovable unless you take a long bad contract back likr PLD or Meier.

You will need to eat the contract.
The Meier contract is fine.

Overal on the year a 33 goal pace, and outside of the stretch in december where he was blatantly playing through injury (admitted by him, admitted by coach, skating speed down more than 20%), he has 23 goals and 47 points in 54 games.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders

Engvall 6 years @ 3M
Lee 2 Years @ 7M

Flames

Huberdeau 7 Years @ 10.5M (2 Million eaten up by the Flames)

If Flames do this they probably can turn around and trade Lee @ 50% for something decent

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Calgary isn't rebuilding and Huberdeau isn't going anywhere.

We're re-tooling and he is going be an important part of it even if at an exorbitant salary.
Flames management might say they are retooling, but the team is definitely going into a rebuild.

Their two best centers are mid 30s. They have two top four defencemen. Their #1 goalie is reaching the end of the road.

They had to overpay for free agents when they were a playoff threat. What's the option in the offseason? Zadorov for $5 million?

The team is likely to spend the next 2-4 seasons just bottoming out.

The course here is to just let Huberdeau's contract expire naturally because it''ll take that long for the Flames to get back into a position to compete.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Even with 50% - that's still $5.25M for 7 more years! For a 30 year old that hasn't above 55 points in the last 2 years. Even getting Calgary's 1st round pick this year - would the 7th or 8th pick be worth $5.25M for 7 years? NO.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
He is going to cost an arm and a leg to move. Just keep him because it does not matter, the Flames are entering an rebuild.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Flames management might say they are retooling, but the team is definitely going into a rebuild.

Their two best centers are mid 30s. They have two top four defencemen. Their #1 goalie is reaching the end of the road.

They had to overpay for free agents when they were a playoff threat. What's the option in the offseason? Zadorov for $5 million?

The team is likely to spend the next 2-4 seasons just bottoming out.

The course here is to just let Huberdeau's contract expire naturally because it''ll take that long for the Flames to get back into a position to compete.
Let's just say your crystal ball is different from mine.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

I kind of like this idea if they were to retain some salary and get Hubs cap hit to around 7.5m to 8m a season of course the adds would have to be worked out though.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Is he cooked? Seems like a terminally bad fit in Calgary who could be a reclamation project somewhere else. Or is there an injury I'm not aware of? The Pens have money to burn and nothing to lose by taking on reclamation projects, but that's a little too long of a contract to hold onto. Ideally the Pens have burned it down, post Crosby, and are back into playoff contention before that contract is up. Doesn't really fit the push to get younger. Maybe a bad contract for bad contract swap? Can I interest you in a slightly used Ryan Graves and Ricard Rakell?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've suggested in the past:

Ryan Graves + Rickard Rakell for Huberdeau + 2024 Van 1st / 2024 Cal 2nd

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This is going to get worse. Hubs is over 30 and really doesn't have anything to play for. Guy is putting up 50 something points and the Flames aren't going anywhere. If he is bought out he gets all his money minus 6.33 mill which he would probably make if he still wanted to play somewhere else.

I am not saying he is going to quit on the Flames I am just saying his motivation is at an all time low and that could impact his thought process.

That contract is terrible.
Isn't the main thing they don't play the way that got him success, make a line for him that does ?

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't quite understand why Calgary should be spending assets right now to get under from the Huberdeau contract. That seems like something a team would prefer to do if they were competing. Is Huberdeau keeping the Flames from bottoming-out during the rebuld? No. Do the Flames need the cap room? No. Is he sulking and being part of a toxic environment? No.

I don't understand the logical rationale as to why the Flames should even consider moving him. Sure, if someone offers to take Huberdeau off their hands, by all means trade him. Otherwise, there is no point. If the Flames rebound to the level where they can legitimately start competing again, and Huberdeau still seems like too much of a cap-negative deal to have on a contender, then that's when it should be addressed. Right now, he is in the first year of his 8 year deal, which means it would be the most expensive time to get from underneath it, coupled with zero need to do so. Down the line, it will be cheaper to unload - years will be taken off the deal, millions taken off, and the cap will go up so the percentage will go down making it less burdensome.

So unless I am missing something, this would be the exact worst time to try and move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad