Prospect Info: The Premature 2020 Draft Thread

How Many Seasons Until Yaroslav Askarov is an NHL Starter?

• Ready

• 1 Season Post Draft

• 2 Seasons Post Draft

• 3 Seasons Post Draft

• 4 Seasons Post Draft

• 5 Seasons Post Draft

• More than 5 Seasons Post Draft

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not sure if this was mentioned but Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway. Don’t know much about him but from his description he sounds like another McLeod (low offensive upside, speedy). Hard pass IMO. Mercer is taken later and sounds like a better pick.

Reactions: McDoused and voxel

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I never show up in these draft threads. whoops, wait, what?

14 pick is such a crapshoot. Much more so if its Oilers.

If your posts never show up that can only mean one thing ;)

Two months of waiting until the draft. So much for pro sports coming back. Ugh.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Not sure if this was mentioned but Pronman has the Oilers taking Holloway. Don’t know much about him but from his description he sounds like another McLeod (low offensive upside, speedy). Hard pass IMO. Mercer is taken later and sounds like a better pick.

I like McLeod but he's pretty much a bottom-6 type that scouts pray will explode somehow offensively. With #14 go for the player with highest upside (most skill/IQ and don't care for size... see Yams/Parise/etc).

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
It looks like it is going to be a choice between Seth Jarvis, Jack Quinn, and Dawson Mercer for forwards.

For goaltending, there is only one option Askarov.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I like McLeod but he's pretty much a bottom-6 type that scouts pray will explode somehow offensively. With #14 go for the player with highest upside (most skill/IQ and don't care for size... see Yams/Parise/etc).

Yeah I agree. Re-read Pronman’s mock draft and he said doesn’t appear to have “too end offense”, which doesn’t sound as bad but still sounds underwhelming. If that means something like Nuge level of offense or slightly less, not bad.

Personally I liked the sounds of Mercer at that pick. Sounds like good upside and at least a top 9 forward as a floor.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
So I was reading up on Jake Quinn, Connor Zary, Seth Jarvis and Dawson Mercer.

My first impression takeways.

Jake Quinn: Underdog that had to grind to get recognition. Only started working out when he was 15-16 years of age. Shot up the charts dramatically ever since.
Offensive oriented, sniper but rounded his game to be more a complete player.

Connor Zary: Likes to work in thr dirty areas, seems to like the front of the net. Battles, hard forechecker, 200 ft player, natural leader, good at faceoffs. Makes the right choices.

Seth Jarvis: Pure sniper, pest, can get under the defence and goalies skin. Excellent skater, explosive, good speed not great. Can be a playmaker, might be small for a future NHL center and projects more as sniping winger. Needs to gain strength.

Dawson Mercer: Leader, does the little things that support team wins, very good at everything it seems, though his defensive game is his strength, hard back checker, plays down-low, face-offs a strength but needs work. Seems to be an effective center and I would agree with his comparisons and projections ala Jonathan Toews Type player.

Have to be honest, all these players would fill some big holes. I don't really know who I want. Though I have admit, having a Jonathan Toews character type in the locker room is enticing. I'm really excited for this pick. Its like getting a top 10 pick at 14.

Reactions: B33K33PING

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Jake Quinn: Underdog that had to grind to get recognition. Only started working out when he was 15-16 years of age. Shot up the charts dramatically ever since.

Connor Zary: Likes to work in thr dirty areas, seems to like the front of the net. Battles, hard forechecker, 200 ft player, natural leader, good at faceoffs. Makes the right choices.

Seth Jarvis: Pure sniper, pest, can get under the defence and goalies skin. Excellent skater, explosive, good speed not great. Can be a playmaker, might be small for a future NHL center and projects more as sniping winger. Needs to gain strength.

Dawson Mercer: Leader, does the little things that support team wins, very good at everything it seems, though his defensive game is his strength, hard back checker, plays down-low, face-offs a strength but needs work. Seems to be an effective center and I would agree with his comparisons and projections ala Jonathan Toews Type player.

Have to be honest, all these players would fill some big holes. I don't really know who I want. Though I have admit, having a Jonathan Toews character type in the locker room is enticing. I'm really excited for this pick. Its like getting a top 10 pick at 14.

I love the pest factor with Jarvis. Would be funny to see him "Tkachuk" the Flames :laugh:

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Mercer sounds like Nuge no?

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Who realistically drafts askarov before us other than Carolina? I just want a future goalie at this point.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I feel like we're going to end up with Dawson Mercer. Seems like an Oilers type pick. He played together with Olivier Rodrigue for two seasons so Oilers brass should be very familiar with him and will also obviously have some insight into who he is, what he's like as a teammate etc. Also he's ranked pretty much exactly where the Oilers pick.

I've got the same feeling, and I wouldn't be disappointed at all. Jarvis and Quinn are my two top options, followed by Mercer, Zary, and Askarov.

Quinns position reminds me so much if Gagner. Both highly ranked because of their elite linemate

Not at all. Quinn didn't play with Rossi at 5v5, and he led the CHL in even-strength scoring. I actually think that it's the opposite, where people jumping to assumptions about him being a product of his team end up underrating him.

FWIW, Quinn started playing hockey very late. He played baseball for most of his childhood at a very high level, and he decided to transition to hockey later on. He hasn't had as much time to develop. He also grew an inch or two over the last year, so he could still be growing.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I think you take Quinn no question if he is available at 14. Perfect winger for Connor. I have a feeling Askarov goes in the top 10 which is kind of a relief because while I think he ends up being a great goalie I’m worried about taking a goalie with the first. You can get a decent potential starter with picks at anytime.

Aside from that I’d be happy with the following (that should be available) in this order of preference:

Jarvis - like the sounds of his pest attributes, Oilers could use more of that, have some in Yam, Neal etc but could use more. Sounds like great potential otherwise (Great skater, sniper) but that stands out a lot

Mercer - sounds like a solid bet to be a good winger. Two-way, good forechecking, physical, Toews-like leadership etc.

Zary - two hundred foot guy and a Bo Horvat comparable? Sounds good as Connors winger, and as a natural C could run the third line as well

Holloway - Sounds solid but “unsexy”. Character, coaches dream, seems low risk to make the NHL but also doesn’t sound like he’s got a super high ceiling compared to the others. If the other guys are gone, he’s the pick IMO. If he gets picked and the other guys are on the board, I’d be disappointed but hopeful.

Really hoping Quinn falls though, I think they get exactly what they need with him. All of the guys sound like 1-2 years out which isn’t too bad.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My Mock Draft:

:rangers

Alexis Lafreniere

:kings

Quinton Byfield

:sens

Tim Stutzle

:wings

Cole Perfetti

:sens

Jamie Drysdale

:ducks

Lucas Raymond

:devils

Jake Sanderson

:sabres

Marco Rossi

:wild

Alexander Holtz

:jets

Anton Lundell

:nashville

Jack Quinn

:panthers

Brendan Guhle

:canes

Yaroslav Askarov

:edmonton

Seth Jarvis

:pens

Dawson Mercer

Reactions: McDoused

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I honestly couldn't care less about the Oilers not winning the draft lottery. If the Oilers won it, they would have selected Lafreniere and had three years until they had to give him a max contract, which they're really not going to be able to afford. On top of that, he'd need to play next year (as a 1st overall), which he might not be ready for as a result of not playing for, what, 10 months?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I honestly couldn't care less about the Oilers not winning the draft lottery. If the Oilers won it, they would have selected Lafreniere and had three years until they had to give him a max contract, which they're really not going to be able to afford. On top of that, he'd need to play next year (as a 1st overall), which he might not be ready for as a result of not playing for, what, 10 months?

Yeah I’ve come around to it with the same line of thinking. In three years they would have a tough time affording him and find a Leafs-like situation. Though I think he’s better (or at least more ready) than Jack Hughes from last year, the time off could see him having a slow start or maybe even not starting in the NHL altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad