Speculation: The prediction thread 2014-2015

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
-Anderson or Lehner flip out at least once during the season or say something controversial
-Im wary on this one but i think MacArthur cements himself as the sens number 1 winger and has a breakout year.
-Defense play poorly overall and we lose many games despite outshooting the opponent because constant defensive break downs lead to prime scoring chances. This leads to our goalies having meh save percentages despite playing well overall.
-People demand we trade Anderson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hmmm.....this is surprisingly difficult. I started making a post in this thread at least 3 different times over the past few days and deleted before posting. My predictions will vary way too wildly depending on the latest news from camp, or last preseason game on TV, or just the jerks on the main board trying to press Sens fans buttons. One day they look great, the next day everyone's bailing out on the team and I dunno. So hard to get any kind of read on these guys.

So, ok, disclaimer and rant over, I'll give it a shot.

1. Turris is in for a bumpy ride. I keep looking at how skinny that kid is, and I just wonder how he'll manage to put up points at a steady pace over 82+ games as the #1C. I expect to see a monster drought with him sometime between February and April...but hopefully start to rebound by the end of the season. He'll be anywhere from 50-65 points.

2. Zibby...the kid has such amazing potential, but sometimes he gets into a tentative rut. That zest for life we see on twitter and other places, and those flashes of brilliance on the ice have to be more consistent. he's going to be slow out of the gate...but should turn on the light switch around Xmas...and if things go well, he'll end up with a nifty 60+ points and end the season on fire.

3. Goaltending. They won't get back to pesky Sens level, but they will be better than last season. Expect Andy to get 45 starts, but by the end of the year we will be wondering who is king for the 2015-16 season. I see Lehner pulling a Hextall sometime in the year and making some schmuck forward eat his blocker. The fire in that kid's belly will rise to the surface and ignite the team.

4. There will be a coaching change during the year. I don't know if it'll be MacLean on the block or the assistants, but something's going to change. If the team starts of slow (which I think it will), I can see the newspapers riling up the casual fans out there and panic will set in.

5. If we stay healthy, we'll get a wildcard. If we lose a key guy this year, we're in the draft lotto. I'll be that close.

6. Fans will be pulling their hair out all year trying to find the freaking games on TV. TSN, Sportsnet, CBC....you are not prepared! The TV powerplayers switchover will be a hot mess for most of the year.

7. I expect to lose every away game against Toronto and Montreal, as usual. But, we should eak out a few wins against those two snobby original sixers at home.

8. We will destroy that jinx Boston has on us. I expect us to win the season series against the Bruins. Our newest jinx team will be Tampa.

9. I get the crazy feeling management is going to panic this year and make a really bad trade. Expect to lose one (or more) of Lazar, Puempel and/or the first round pick in 2015.

10. I don't see Lazar, Weir, Gryba, Puempel, or Pageau making the team. I doubt Methot or Greening are sens by the end of the year.

11. And last, we sign Ryan sometime around Xmas. Perfect present for the fans.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
1) Sens get last wildcard spot
2) Hoffman gets 20 goals
3) Michalek plays less than 41 games
4) Methot re-signs for 4.6 mil
5) Sens trade Wiercioch for a ~30 yo winger

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011
The Sens finish the year with an astonishing eight 20-goal scorers: Ryan, 37; Zibanejad, 29; Turris, 27; Mac, 24; Michalek, 23; Stone, 23; Karlsson, 23; Chiasson, 20.

Cowen shores up his defensive game and becomes a good partner for Karlsson. Methot plays with Ceci to help his development when he starts struggling, but ends up playing okay. Karlsson is not quite what he was before the injury but becomes a little more solid in his own end, adds 54 assists for 77 points, and a norris nomination.

Anderson plays okay, but around New Year's Lehner will be playing very impressively and take the top job in time to ship Anderon+ for something nice at the deadline, which will push us into the playoffs as the second wild card, where we'll be ousted by Tampa.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
If we have eight twenty goal scorers as well as Cowen becoming a servicable top pairing defenceman and our goalies playing well we'd probably win the Presidents Trophy.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
- Sens make the playoffs in the last week of the season
- Wiercioch & Prince are traded to Buffalo for Drew Stafford or Chris Stewart.
- Condra is waived & bought out
- both Ryan & Methot sign 5 yr contracts to play in Ottawa
- Boroweicki stays in the lineup & Ceci stays on the 2nd pairing
- Cowen rebounds with a much better yr
- Greening, Stone & Legwand become a dynamic line
- it is found this season that the dwarf planet Ceres has water on it

There were some pretty good predictions this year by some but mostly pretty bad ones by everyone. I was 0/3.

I was almost super impressed by this one until I noticed that the discovery was made in early 2014, not early 2015. ;)

Water Found on Dwarf Planet Ceres, May Erupt from Ice Volcanoes

January 22, 2014 01:01pm ET

Astronomers have discovered direct evidence of water on the dwarf planet Ceres in the form of vapor plumes erupting into space, possibly from volcano-like ice geysers on its surface.

Using European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory, scientists detected water vapor escaping from two regions on Ceres, a dwarf planet that is also the largest asteroid in the solar system. The water is likely erupting from icy volcanoes or sublimation of ice into clouds of vapor.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is my prediction:

Karlsson scores 23 goals 52 assists and 75 points
Ryan scores 32 goals 40 assists and 72 points
Turris scores 20 goals 43 assist and 63 points
Mac scores 24 goals 30 assists and 54 points

Sens not only win the Atlantic division, but they also win the presidents trophy.

They beat the Islanders in round 1 of the playoffs
They beat the Habs in round 2 of the playoffs
They lose to the Bruins in Eastern Conference finals

It will be a Bruins vs. Blues cup final and the Bruins will win in 6

Karlsson wins the Norris
Anderson wins the Vezina
Murray wins the NHL General Manager of the Year award
Maclean wins the Adams
Anderson and Lehner win the Jennings

I was close on the Turris prediction.

Nailed the Karlsson winning the Norris prediction ;)

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
-Anderson or Lehner flip out at least once during the season or say something controversial
-Im wary on this one but i think MacArthur cements himself as the sens number 1 winger and has a breakout year.
-Defense play poorly overall and we lose many games despite outshooting the opponent because constant defensive break downs lead to prime scoring chances. This leads to our goalies having meh save percentages despite playing well overall.
-People demand we trade Anderson

I felt i did decent. More lines up with the Cameron sens until Hammond took over.

MacArthur prediction was was bold and off but he was injured and was ppg in his return from injury to help the sens make the playoffs

I'd say 3/4.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Lots of reasonable predictions last year!

Mine for next season:

Sens make the playoffs

Karlsson wins his third Norris

7 Senators get to 20 goals on the year most in the league.

Senators are top 5 in the NHL in goals scored

Hoffman and Stone both get more points this year then as rookies.

Pageau doubles his offensive output

Wideman and Puempel make the NHL as regulars before Christmas.

Cowen basically is only an injury fill in for Borowiecki as he inevitably misses some games due to injury.

Hammond is in fact a great backup and plays consistent and well all year even though Anderson is the #1

Ryan gets over 25 goals

Turris sets his career best in points

Stone and Karlsson are the Senators All-star game participants.

Erik Condra is great in Tampa but we don't really miss him.

By the end of the year Lazar ends up a centre and not a winger.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There were some pretty good predictions this year by some but mostly pretty bad ones by everyone. I was 0/3.

I was almost super impressed by this one until I noticed that the discovery was made in early 2014, not early 2015. ;)

In my defence, I hadn't heard that they had discovered water on Ceres in 2014, in fact, I don't think I had ever heard of the dwarf planet Ceres located in the asteroid belt before 2015. Now we are finding out there are numerous dwarf planets out past Pluto as well including Charron which is either a moon of Pluto or a twin dwarf planet & the dwarf planet Make-Make along with others. Who knew? :D

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Lots of reasonable predictions last year!

Mine for next season:

Sens make the playoffs

Karlsson wins his third Norris

7 Senators get to 20 goals on the year most in the league.

Senators are top 5 in the NHL in goals scored

Hoffman and Stone both get more points this year then as rookies.

Pageau doubles his offensive output

Wideman and Puempel make the NHL as regulars before Christmas.

Cowen basically is only an injury fill in for Borowiecki as he inevitably misses some games due to injury.

Hammond is in fact a great backup and plays consistent and well all year even though Anderson is the #1

Ryan gets over 25 goals

Turris sets his career best in points

Stone and Karlsson are the Senators All-star game participants.

Erik Condra is great in Tampa but we don't really miss him.

By the end of the year Lazar ends up a centre and not a winger.

so Zib gets a big injury?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ok here I go;

-Karlsson leads the team with 80pts, wins Hart and Norris (this is my big bold prediction)

-Stone (68), Turris (66) and Ryan (28g and 63pts) all finish north of 60 pts. Not on the same line.

-Zibanejad (57), Hoffman (30 and 55pts) MacArthur (51) all finish north of 50pts.

-Weircoich ends up with 38pts, plays the whole year on the second pairing. Ceci and Methot both get from 20 -30 pts as well.

-Pageau and Lazar both take huge steps towards becoming great players, nearly doubling the previous seasons totals. They anchor the 3rd line next year, and are regarded by many as one of the most effective by years end.

-Andy has a phenomenal year, and says **** the trend.

-Cowen forces his way into the lineup, plays a big role on the PK, and anchors the 3rd pair with Wideman.

-Sens fans as a whole don't feel the need to find a top 4 d as our #1 priority anymore by years end.

-Sens come second in the division, and 4th overall in the conference.

-Lose in the conference final to a Pens team that goes red hot at the end of the season (wild guess).

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Enjoyed reading Bonktastics post...agreed with some stuff for sure.

My bold prediction is Lehner stinks it up this year and proves not to be our goalie of the future once our fanbase loses faith in him.

Cowen Continues to be Cowen and never amounts to be more than a quicker Andy Sutton, but not an expert.

Legwand has a solid impact early on the team, much like Macarthur of last year

and... Karlsson remains to be hands down the most impressive defenceman in the league, but the rest of the league out of jealously remains skeptic and hates on his "defensive shortcomings" getting a Norris nomination, but Petr Buzek comes back to the NHL out of retirement to steal the Norris.

Fairly happy with my predictions, with the exception of Legwand.

This year...my predictions are as follows...

Karlsson wins his 3rd Norris...this is a given, not question about it...co-leads the team in points with Turris
Zibanejad doesn't break 20 goals...
Chiasson does nothing again
Ceci struggles this year
Hoffman continues to show flashes of brilliance but is still shuffled throughout the lineup, still scores 22 goals
Michalek plays 66 games...lol

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Ok here I go;

-Karlsson leads the team with 80pts, wins Hart and Norris (this is my big bold prediction)

-Stone (68), Turris (66) and Ryan (28g and 63pts) all finish north of 60 pts. Not on the same line.

-Zibanejad (57), Hoffman (30 and 55pts) MacArthur (51) all finish north of 50pts.

-Weircoich ends up with 38pts, plays the whole year on the second pairing. Ceci and Methot both get from 20 -30 pts as well.

-Pageau and Lazar both take huge steps towards becoming great players, nearly doubling the previous seasons totals. They anchor the 3rd line next year, and are regarded by many as one of the most effective by years end.

-Andy has a phenomenal year, and says **** the trend.

-Cowen forces his way into the lineup, plays a big role on the PK, and anchors the 3rd pair with Wideman.

-Sens fans as a whole don't feel the need to find a top 4 d as our #1 priority anymore by years end.

-Sens come second in the division, and 4th overall in the conference.

-Lose in the conference final to a Pens team that goes red hot at the end of the season (wild guess).

I would say if your predictions came true we are 1st or 2nd in the Conference and maybe the league.

I would love that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad