Speculation: The prediction thread 2014-2015

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
They may be outlandish or sane, but what are yours?

1: I predict that Zibanejad will not get to play the left trigger-man on the PP:.

2: I predict that Phillips will have more PP-time than Ceci.

3: I predict that Ryan will score 25 goals during 2014 (Before New Years that is).

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Here is my prediction:

Karlsson scores 23 goals 52 assists and 75 points
Ryan scores 32 goals 40 assists and 72 points
Turris scores 20 goals 43 assist and 63 points
Mac scores 24 goals 30 assists and 54 points

Sens not only win the Atlantic division, but they also win the presidents trophy.

They beat the Islanders in round 1 of the playoffs
They beat the Habs in round 2 of the playoffs
They lose to the Bruins in Eastern Conference finals

It will be a Bruins vs. Blues cup final and the Bruins will win in 6

Karlsson wins the Norris
Anderson wins the Vezina
Murray wins the NHL General Manager of the Year award
Maclean wins the Adams
Anderson and Lehner win the Jennings

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
BOLD PREDICTIONS:
- Pageau is on our 3rd line by the end of the year.
- Neil is shopped at the deadline, traded to a top West Conf team for a late 2nd rounder & a "mid-tier prospect" based on his reputation and not his actual recent play.
- Michalek has a Cy Young stats line (more goals than assists - 25g, 20a), finishes with a respectable +/-. People will still say he's overpaid.
- Cowen has a bad start to the year, turns his game around by December, but no one here will notice because they'll have already made up their mind about him
- Similar to Cowen, Phillips will have a nice little rebound year and look fine in the #4/5 role, but no one will notice because everyone has already made up their mind about him.
- Lazar is returned to the Oil Kings after getting a brief audition at the beginning of the year. Team decides that 22+mins a night in the WHL + the WJC is better for his development than 11 minutes/ night in Ottawa.
- Derek Grant plays 25+ games with Ottawa
- Zibanejad breaks 40 points for the first time in his career, but suffers from extreme streaky-ness and his ice-time is all over the place as a result (17 mins some nights, 13 others, etc...)
- Legwand's calm presence is a huge benefit to young forwards - put up ~40-45 points (16G, 26A, 42pts) with solid 2-way play and a huge influence on settling down & teaching a lot of younger forwards, but people will say he was a bust signing because he didn't get 50pts and he's over 34 years old.
- Bobby Ryan is going to be ridiculous good, and he'll be re-signed in early December: 5 years, $7.6mil per.
- Greening continues to underwhelm -> we trade him at the deadline for an even worse player whose contract is expiring at the end of this season just to get out from years #2 & 3 of Greening's deal.
- Condra will play 65 games, be an excellent possession player, and earn a 1-year extension at some point during the season for ~$900k-$1mil.
- Turris plateaus with a ~30G-35A-65pts season, and continues his fine 2-way play. His all-around game continues to be ignored by everyone else in the country outside of the Ottawa city limits.
- MacArthur regresses a touch (to the tune of 3-5 points), but is still a huge impact player for us nonetheless.
- Methot ends up re-signing at some point, and we end up regretting the deal 2-3 years from now (just a gut feeling here, not based on anything but blind pessimism)
- Zack Smith continues being Zack Smith - a guy who has ~20 GREAT games for us, and ~55 games where you wonder what the heck the hype was ever all about.
- Gryba spends the year on the 3rd pair, where he is good enough that the only people who complain about him are the people who are upset that Wiercioch got traded and "now we have no choice but to play Gryba".
- Wiercioch gets traded. Wier goes on to have a very Chris Campoli-like career with his new team.
- Mark Stone struggles, plays most of the year on the 3rd and 4th lines.
- Chiasson plays better with Legwand than Zibanejad (more chemistry, to the tune of a 20g-28a-48pt season), and as a result the 2nd and 3rd lines are in a state of flux all season: we essentially have a 2A & 2B scenario, where Zibanejad fans are angry at the "coaches misuse of Zibby" because he's still not the clear-cut #2 guy (as far as TOI is concerned) in January.
- Ceci plays better than is (reasonably) advertised, is anchoring our 2nd pair by December.
- Hoffman is not in the starting lineup at the end of the year.
- Claesson plays ~5 games with the big club, but only plays an average of ~12 mins a game with very managed icetime, so it's impossible to really gauge anything from that small sample size.
- Karlsson scores 25 goals and is just a shade under a PPG, but it's still obvious he's not as explosive as he was during his Norris year. 3rd in voting for Norris at the end of the year.
- We make a trade early-midseason (possibly including Wiercioch going the the other way) for a winger whose name is not Chris Stewart, when it becomes obvious that Zibanejad is our new Spezza - a center who we have a hard time finding wingers to play with/ mesh with.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bonk... do we need to get you some antidepressants?

I see it as a lot of positives (especially on defence! I might be the only guy here who isn't "LOLPHILLIPSPOINTING" right off the bat, and I've got Karlsson as a Norris finalist)... and a lot of young players going through the motions of slow & steady progression. Just because I'm not probe to overhyping our guys, doesn't mean I'm not excited or positive. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Forgot my goalie predictions though...

- Anderson: 49 games started, 2.38GAA, .918sv%
- Lehner: 33 games started, 2.46GAA, .919sv%

Relative rebound year for our goalies, when compared to last year. Both of them.

Hammond might get in a few games if injuries hit. If so:
- Hammond: 2 games, ~2.80GAA, .905sv%, 1W/1L

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My prediction is we will miss the playoff. I'm seeing a similar season as the previous one.

On the bright side: Ryan, EK, Turris, MacArthur will all have great offensive seasons. Andy will rebound somewhat, Lehner will improve.

The kids will probably be fine, but they can't support our first line enough to make us a contender. Zibby, Stone and Hoffman, Gryba and Cowen I don't get a good feeling about. Lazar, Pageau, Ceci on the other hand, will shine(more or less depending on their ice-time/number of game played).

That's about it for me.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Predictions:

1. One of Wiercioch/Gryba are traded with Sens prospect (Prince/Puempel) for top 9 forward.
2. Sens will make the playoffs as the 8th seed.
3. Cowen struggles continue again this year. It's finally evident to all that he's a draft bust.
4. Pageau has a breakout year in the AHL and turns into a NHL regular by end of the year.
5. Stone struggles in his first NHL year.
6. Methot and Ottawa come to a 3-year 4.75mil/year contract extension agreement
7. One of Greening/Condra/Hoffman are traded placed on waivers.
8. Bobby Ryan signs a 4 year 7.25 mil/year contract extension.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Sens are either going to be mediocre and everyone will say they saw it coming and hate Murray, or they'll surpass expectations beyond our wildest dreams and everyone will talk about that's exactly what they expected. I wish there was some prediction / analysis registry so the remarks of "analysts" would be kept on file and reviewed periodically...the ones who are dead wrong would be banned from speaking.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Zibanejad scores 31 goals.
Cowen is traded.
Drew Stafford finishes the year as a Senator.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Enjoyed reading Bonktastics post...agreed with some stuff for sure.

My bold prediction is Lehner stinks it up this year and proves not to be our goalie of the future once our fanbase loses faith in him.

Cowen Continues to be Cowen and never amounts to be more than a quicker Andy Sutton, but not an expert.

Legwand has a solid impact early on the team, much like Macarthur of last year

and... Karlsson remains to be hands down the most impressive defenceman in the league, but the rest of the league out of jealously remains skeptic and hates on his "defensive shortcomings" getting a Norris nomination, but Petr Buzek comes back to the NHL out of retirement to steal the Norris.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

BOLD PREDICTIONS:
- Michalek has a Cy Young stats line (more goals than assists - 25g, 20a), finishes with a respectable +/-. People will still say he's overpaid.

No one will say that if he pots 25 and is a positive +/-

- Cowen has a bad start to the year, turns his game around by December, but no one here will notice because they'll have already made up their mind about him

If he turns his game around and becomes a top 4 D, the Sens will likely make the playoffs and people will sure as hell notice

- Derek Grant plays 25+ games with Ottawa

Seems to already have been cut ahead of 18-19 other forwards

- Legwand's calm presence is a huge benefit to young forwards - put up ~40-45 points (16G, 26A, 42pts) with solid 2-way play and a huge influence on settling down & teaching a lot of younger forwards, but people will say he was a bust signing because he didn't get 50pts and he's over 34 years old.

BS. He's making 3, not over 4.5

You've taken your ''lost faith in humanity'' to a whole other level. There are real reasons why people are down on certain players. This does not qualify and will not cause people to be down on players. Keep it up though, always refreshing to read these made up conspiracy theories

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sens are either going to be mediocre and everyone will say they saw it coming and hate Murray, or they'll surpass expectations beyond our wildest dreams and everyone will talk about that's exactly what they expected. I wish there was some prediction / analysis registry so the remarks of "analysts" would be kept on file and reviewed periodically...the ones who are dead wrong would be banned from speaking.

It would not take too long for everyone to be silenced! :)

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Is Stafford really that much better than Stone or Chiasson at this point?

Didn't say he was, it was a prediction. I personally haven't seen enough of Stone or Chiasson at the NHL level to have a solid opinion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You've taken your ''lost faith in humanity'' to a whole other level... always refreshing to read these made up conspiracy theories

Yeah... "lost faith in humanity"... "conspiracy theories"...

Keep up the hyperbole train, MAK. Always entertaining to see the exaggerated and heavily editorialized musings of the fringe 1%.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Here is my prediction:

Karlsson scores 23 goals 52 assists and 75 points
Ryan scores 32 goals 40 assists and 72 points
Turris scores 20 goals 43 assist and 63 points
Mac scores 24 goals 30 assists and 54 points

Sens not only win the Atlantic division, but they also win the presidents trophy.

They beat the Islanders in round 1 of the playoffs
They beat the Habs in round 2 of the playoffs
They lose to the Bruins in Eastern Conference finals

It will be a Bruins vs. Blues cup final and the Bruins will win in 6

Karlsson wins the Norris
Anderson wins the Vezina
Murray wins the NHL General Manager of the Year award
Maclean wins the Adams
Anderson and Lehner win the Jennings

Wow those are indeed some bold predictions lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- Sens make the playoffs in the last week of the season
- Wiercioch & Prince are traded to Buffalo for Drew Stafford or Chris Stewart.
- Condra is waived & bought out
- both Ryan & Methot sign 5 yr contracts to play in Ottawa
- Boroweicki stays in the lineup & Ceci stays on the 2nd pairing
- Cowen rebounds with a much better yr
- Greening, Stone & Legwand become a dynamic line
- it is found this season that the dwarf planet Ceres has water on it

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Yeah... "lost faith in humanity"... "conspiracy theories"...

Keep up the hyperbole train, MAK. Always entertaining to see the exaggerated and heavily editorialized musings of the fringe 1%.

lol dude, you're just as guilty with the exaggeration.

You quit the boards once upon a time because of your ''lost faith in humanity'' attitude. Don't tell me it's not real. It's not fun to read that stuff in every post, just saying

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
lol dude, you're just as guilty with the exaggeration.

You quit the boards once upon a time because of your ''lost faith in humanity'' attitude.

No, I quit the boards once because everyone else on these boards decided to be the most pessimistic vacuum of bridge-jumpers in the history of bi-polarism.

I'm the guy who has persistently tried to take the glass-half-full approach to a lot of guys who had down years, and I'm the one who is negative?

Sure thing, chief.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
1. Mark Stone challenges for the Calder/gets 50 points.

2. Ceci is considered a top 4 defenseman by the end of the season

3. Zibanejad puts up 15 goals and 40 points but his season is considered a disappointment by many fans on this board (expectations too high)

4. Lazar doesn't make the team, nor does he stay with the team for a full 9 games

5. Greening and Condra aren't on the roster to end the season

6. Pageau finishes the year on the roster after another excellent AHL season

7. Wiercioch is yet again very productive when he's in the lineup, but he still finds himself stapled to the bench many nights and is eventually moved for help up front

8. Cowen doesn't start the season well and fans start trying to unload him in trade proposals for much less than he's worth

9. Borowiecki surprises and turns into a Radko Gudas-type defenseman

10. Phillips still plays terribly, yet manages to stay in the lineup most games and still gets PP time for some reason I still have yet to understand

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Turris has a down year due to facing number 1 shut down pairs.... (scores 45 points)

Zibanejad breaks out (30G, 30A,) - Following Offseason this team nickels and dimes him, he holds out till camp eventually getting traded or signing a contract straight to UFA.

Karlsson hits 70 points ( 20G 50A)

Lehner becomes the undisputed #1

Dzingel plays 20 games

Puempel snatches a roster spot and gets 15 goals.

Ryan Walks..Traded

Michalek scores 20G

Gryba gets waived

Hoffman becomes a regular

Stone doesn't make the cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad