Line Combos: The "Power Play"

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What would you like to see on the power play? Things need to change I can't take it anymore!!

0 - 5 on 4 goals
1 - 4 on 3 in OT

4.8% 2nd last.

But it's only 7gp!

13.4% last year. Better but still 2nd last.

6yeizt.jpg
HuGo acquiring a PP QB - until then no game planning will magically improve it

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Dach, Suzuki, and Matheson on the first unit can do zone entries. (then you have Caufield and RHP).

On the 2nd unit, one of Guhle or Mailloux, plus Newhook. Then you have Monahan, Slaf, and Anbderson or Ylonen.

1) We need to win the initial PP faceoff; Monahan will help a lot.

2) The drop pass from hell creates 0% deception because the player that drops it doesn't break the trap. The opponent doesn't back off and our carrier has to stickhandle through 3-4 guys in order to enter the zone. The breakout that starts the sequence is very non-chalant and disorganized. It's not the drop pass that is supposed to create the chaos, it's the guy who skates it up the ice first that has to create it.

Reactions: jrom and Rapala

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1) We need to win the initial PP faceoff; Monahan will help a lot.

2) The drop pass from hell creates 0% deception because the player that drops it doesn't break the trap. The opponent doesn't back off and our carrier has to stickhandle through 3-4 guys in order to enter the zone. The breakout that starts the sequence is very non-chalant and disorganized. It's not the drop pass that is supposed to create the chaos, it's the guy who skates it up the ice first that has to create it.
I'm liking the personnel this year. Do we have McDavid and Draisaitl or Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares? No. But that only means we won't be top 2. Suzuki, Cole, Dach, and Matheson are good pp players - and so is RHP in the slot/bumper.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm liking the personnel this year. Do we have McDavid and Draisaitl or Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares? No. But that only means we won't be top 2. Suzuki, Cole, Dach, and Matheson are good pp players - and so is RHP in the slot/bumper.

Newhook is going to be a great bumper too.

There is no reason to look incompetent on the PP this season. It's one of the things that I really expect the team to start improving on starting this year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think we have to overreact to much from tonight, but the PP is genuinely concerning. Think we need Matheson back badly.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Preseason roster- of course the powerplay isn't going to work. That's not a realistic gripe.
Tonight was the 1st unit we'll ice during the season except for Norlinder. They barely managed to shoot on net. We can be critical of the strategic aspects even if not all elements are present.

Reactions: Naslundforever

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Tonight was the 1st unit we'll ice during the season except for Norlinder. They barely managed to shoot on net. We can be critical of the strategic aspects even if not all elements are present.
There's plenty of other stuff to be upset about tbh lol. They aren't going to whip out their best stuff for a preseason game.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Pp needs 5 talented players. Habs cream of crop are… 2 players. And even they are paid for potential over accomplishment. Super mid. Kovalev would still make this pp1 and look like a player from a different league I bet. Hopefully some of the ahl prospects have crazy development curves.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pp needs 5 talented players. Habs cream of crop are… 2 players. And even they are paid for potential over accomplishment. Super mid. Kovalev would still make this pp1 and look like a player from a different league I bet. Hopefully some of the ahl prospects have crazy development curves.
Dach is getting there. That's 3. Moneyhands can play PP1, that's 4. And... that's it. We have no quarterback, that's the real problem.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
It’s frustrating. Pp is literally how you make the playoffs. Coaches and players both should be ashamed, they almost sound like victims talking about the pp in montreal for like a decade.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Dach is getting there. That's 3. Moneyhands can play PP1, that's 4. And... that's it. We have no quarterback, that's the real problem.
Sure, but even with Hutson, Engstrom and all maxing out eventually this is a clear throwaway season again. Pp is supposed to be the bit that takes us out of our seats during the regular season, not facepalm.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Sure, but even with Hutson, Engstrom and all maxing out eventually this is a clear throwaway season again. Pp is supposed to be the bit that takes us out of our seats during the regular season, not facepalm.
We aren't going anywhere until we get at least two qb's... Matheson isn't a playmaker, Guhle has a bit of that in his game. And after that it's Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, Engstrom maybe... none of those guys are particularly close to sniffing top 4 minutes yet. They might GET top 4 minutes, but... I guess Suzuki is a defacto qb. Dach will have to be one too. Need at least one more tho...Farrell is a long way to never off. Don't really have any playmakers in the system either. Not sure why they sent Roy down.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad