The "Power Play"

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Ok, I feel like this has become a big enough problem to warrant its own thread at this point. At this point the Blues PP sits at #23 in the NHL at 16.7% which honestly to me is much higher than I thought.

There are 3 major things that I am seeing that are the biggest concerns. Followed by what I would do to correct it.

#1. Our zone entries, simply put, are trash. We simply over abuse a play where after usually several neutral zone drop passes that one player gets the line drops the puck to another player just inside the line. Now if the defending team is giving us the line this is not a problem as we are then able to set up in the zone easily. However, if the team is standing up at the line, which is what teams are doing against the Blues, that player is then stuck with only one option. That option is to dump the puck behind the net, which is easily predicted and gathered by the opposing teams defenseman who is the first to puck since none of the Blues players are able to enter the zone with speed.

My Solution. First we need to identify what strategy they are using if they are backing in and surrendering the line, great. Enter the zone and setup our PP ( the setup of our PP is another concern for later ). If they are standing us up at the line then we need to get center ice and dump the puck in synchronization with our forwards hitting the blue line with speed. You send three forwards in deep, two forwards to the strong side to overpower the defenseman retrieving the puck and the third one to the opposite to cutoff the reverse.

#2. Our PP setup. On the rare occasion we actually gain possession in the offensive zone we seem to favor what I call a 2-2-1. 2 men straddling the point (defenseman), one man on the half boards (Tarasenko), one rover on the soft side and one who plays net front presence or man down low (Schenn/Schwartz). The problem with this is that this drives the team to play on the perimeter. We work the puck to Tarasenko who tries to penetrate the middle and shoot. Often a shot lane doesn't appear and he is forced to peel off and dish it back to the point. Then they either try again or work it to the other half boards after going D to D. Whether it is Schenn or Schwartz they will act like they are trying to penetrate to the middle, which fools no one, and then they dish it back to the defense. Rinse, repeat until we either turn it over or one of Pietrangelo or Tarasenko take a perimeter shot that is either blocked or saved.

My Solution. I would like to see us setup a system where we move two men down low on either side of the net. The main goal would be to work the puck down low and then attack the net. You have one the opposite side defenseman move down low into the slot for rebound opportunities. Now I know that the other team will adjust to handle this kind of attack but any kind of adjustment is going to take attention off our shooter on the half boards eventually opening more space. Right now the other teams don't have to respect the man down low because we don't use them effectively.

#3 The Pace and Predictability. I don't know what happens to our players when we go on the PP but for some reason we slow down the tempo of our game to a snails pace. All of our players stand still waiting for a pass. The pass itself is slow and undisguised. It makes everything we do unbelievably predictable. I am at a point now where I can call what we are going a solid 3-5 seconds before our players do it.

My Solution. This is the easiest one to solve in my opinion. Play with the same pace and urgency that we do when we are at even strength. Our players need to be decisive the moment the get the pass. Far too often our players get the puck, stop and survey and then react. This gives the defending team every chance they need to cover the appropriate lane. The puck movement speed has to improve in order to get the defending team moving. Moving quickly becomes scrambling and I am firm believer that opportunity can be born through chaos.

These are my thoughts but I would love to hear the rest of the boards because as I said when I started, this has been become a big problem.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
The answer is to get a real PP coach and move Yeo 100 feet away from it. His PPs are historically terrible and this really hurt us in the playoffs last year. We should probably have some better set plays to get our guys moving through the umbrella, too, but an actual pp coach would pretty quickly get the wings moving and take care of that.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Take Sunqvist off the PP and put Eddie in, then flip Steen and Dunn. Double shift Tarasenko. Put Pie and Colt into the middle of the Blueline with Ed and Dunn closer to the net. Cycle better and shoot whenever there is an opening.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Dunn-Pietrangelo

Steen-Stastny-Tarasenko
Edmundson-Parayko

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ok, I feel like this has become a big enough problem to warrant its own thread at this point. At this point the Blues PP sits at #23 in the NHL at 16.7% which honestly to me is much higher than I thought.

There are 3 major things that I am seeing that are the biggest concerns. Followed by what I would do to correct it.

#1. Our zone entries, simply put, are trash. We simply over abuse a play where after usually several neutral zone drop passes that one player gets the line drops the puck to another player just inside the line. Now if the defending team is giving us the line this is not a problem as we are then able to set up in the zone easily. However, if the team is standing up at the line, which is what teams are doing against the Blues, that player is then stuck with only one option. That option is to dump the puck behind the net, which is easily predicted and gathered by the opposing teams defenseman who is the first to puck since none of the Blues players are able to enter the zone with speed.

My Solution. First we need to identify what strategy they are using if they are backing in and surrendering the line, great. Enter the zone and setup our PP ( the setup of our PP is another concern for later ). If they are standing us up at the line then we need to get center ice and dump the puck in synchronization with our forwards hitting the blue line with speed. You send three forwards in deep, two forwards to the strong side to overpower the defenseman retrieving the puck and the third one to the opposite to cutoff the reverse.

#2. Our PP setup. On the rare occasion we actually gain possession in the offensive zone we seem to favor what I call a 2-2-1. 2 men straddling the point (defenseman), one man on the half boards (Tarasenko), one rover on the soft side and one who plays net front presence or man down low (Schenn/Schwartz). The problem with this is that this drives the team to play on the perimeter. We work the puck to Tarasenko who tries to penetrate the middle and shoot. Often a shot lane doesn't appear and he is forced to peel off and dish it back to the point. Then they either try again or work it to the other half boards after going D to D. Whether it is Schenn or Schwartz they will act like they are trying to penetrate to the middle, which fools no one, and then they dish it back to the defense. Rinse, repeat until we either turn it over or one of Pietrangelo or Tarasenko take a perimeter shot that is either blocked or saved.

My Solution. I would like to see us setup a system where we move two men down low on either side of the net. The main goal would be to work the puck down low and then attack the net. You have one the opposite side defenseman move down low into the slot for rebound opportunities. Now I know that the other team will adjust to handle this kind of attack but any kind of adjustment is going to take attention off our shooter on the half boards eventually opening more space. Right now the other teams don't have to respect the man down low because we don't use them effectively.

#3 The Pace and Predictability. I don't know what happens to our players when we go on the PP but for some reason we slow down the tempo of our game to a snails pace. All of our players stand still waiting for a pass. The pass itself is slow and undisguised. It makes everything we do unbelievably predictable. I am at a point now where I can call what we are going a solid 3-5 seconds before our players do it.

My Solution. This is the easiest one to solve in my opinion. Play with the same pace and urgency that we do when we are at even strength. Our players need to be decisive the moment the get the pass. Far too often our players get the puck, stop and survey and then react. This gives the defending team every chance they need to cover the appropriate lane. The puck movement speed has to improve in order to get the defending team moving. Moving quickly becomes scrambling and I am firm believer that opportunity can be born through chaos.

These are my thoughts but I would love to hear the rest of the boards because as I said when I started, this has been become a big problem.

It looks that way to me too. But it looks that way when I see other teams on the power play. They pass the puck around on the perimeter and finally give up and let a point man take a slap shot. They hope that the big forward standing in front of the goalie blocks the goalie's view, or jumps on a rebound for a "garbage" goal.

Does any team try to have the play controlled by getting the puck to the center behind the goal in the offensive zone, or have the goalies gotten too good at clearing the puck? Has the trapezoid hindered this sort of play?

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
One of the problems with our power play is a problem with our play in general. We have to be one of the worst teams in the league at receiving passes. It is almost as if the team buys their stick tape from Flubber Industries because it seems to be an issue with every one who plays for us. So many good plays die on the stick because the player on the receiving end of a pass fumbles it and either turns it over or has to reset and look for the next play.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
They have to stop trying to be cute. They need to drive to the net, create havoc in front, and dig for the puck. I'd like to see more hard work down low instead of pretty passes around the perimeter. As mentioned above, they also seem to be too hesitant. The opposing team is given too much time to react, as the Blues seem to be too concerned with making the perfect play.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
This is more than a simple fix or personnel change. The Blues need someone like Oates, as stated above, to come in and implement a new structure. Just looking at it, it's quite easy to notice that the team can't enter the zone cleanly to save their life. Every time I see Pietrangelo defer to Steen on the wall entering the zone I cringe and predict an offside, it's actually quite hilarious.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
They have to stop trying to be cute. They need to drive to the net, create havoc in front, and dig for the puck. I'd like to see more hard work down low instead of pretty passes around the perimeter. As mentioned above, they also seem to be too hesitant. The opposing team is given too much time to react, as the Blues seem to be too concerned with making the perfect play.
I pretty much agree with this. Also it's absurd that Sundqvist is on the second unit and I feel like Parayko needs to unleash that slap shot more often while the net front guy looks for tips/rebounds. Parayko can scare the other team with that shot, he needs to utilize it and look for the fake shot pass move more often.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Eddy-Petro

Steen-Stastny-Sobotka
Dunn-Parayko

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it’s an Xs and Os issue, not a personnel issue. Tkaczuk and Yeo run the PP from what I can tell. They’re scematics suck right now.

I pretty much agree with everything the OP said. They aren’t gaining the zone, aren’t moving enough and are being very predictable.

What I liked what they did a couple years ago was have one unit play the umbrella and the other unit play the overload. I personally prefer the overload generally but it all depends on the players you have to work with. But by employing 2 different setups, it made it that much harder for the opposition to prepare for both.

Reactions: bluesfanforlife1992

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
stop playing steen on the point ffs

the powerplay was fine until he came back from injury. he fumbles the puck WAYY too much to be last man back that close to the blue line. He cant get his slapshot off anymore and when he does it isnt what it was 3 years ago at all. replace him with stastny and use the umbrella with petro back or one of the dmen and keep the 2-2-1

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
stop playing steen on the point ffs

the powerplay was fine until he came back from injury. he fumbles the puck WAYY too much to be last man back that close to the blue line. He cant get his slapshot off anymore and when he does it isnt what it was 3 years ago at all. replace him with stastny and use the umbrella with petro back or one of the dmen and keep the 2-2-1
Steen on the point always had such an odd look to it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Steen on the point always had such an odd look to it.
It's mainly to utilize his one timer which is very good, but the problem is when he starts trying to distribute the puck as he's not very adept at this. The Blues have used him a few times down low and the PP has actually found success through this, I hope they do it more often.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Its ridiculous that everyone on this board knows the problem, yet the Blues keep going to it. Ok, its not the only problem, but it is a big one. If we ran a poll and asked...

"Do you like Steen on the point for the PP?
(1) Yes
(2) Meh
(3) We should try that out
(4) No
(5) Good god no, please for the love of all that is good and holy never put him there again, please god I will sacrifice onto you my first born child, just keep Steen away from the point."

99% of us would say 5 (with the exception of those who have and love their first born, they might say 4), and the one clueless guy who never actually watches games would vote 3. Yet, they keep rolling it out and wonder why we struggle.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's mainly to utilize his one timer which is very good, but the problem is when he starts trying to distribute the puck as he's not very adept at this. The Blues have used him a few times down low and the PP has actually found success through this, I hope they do it more often.
From team comments I had the impression the main reason Steen is at the point is BECAUSE of his passing. I guess he must look better at it than the alternatives, in practice.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
The team does like Steen on the point because of his ability to pass. I agree that Steen has always looked better down low.

Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Pietrangelo Dunn

Steen Stastny XXX
Parayko Edmundson

Should be our set-up

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Blais or Bergie on the 2nd PP will help. Dunn hopefully stays on the 1PP, he takes the speed of the PP up a notch.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

THE UMBRELLA
Notice that they run 4 forwards - one in the slot, one in front of the net, and two one the circles. The soft area of the ice is nearly always on the LW, and the net-front isn't just there to screen, he's also available for feeds that he can then dish out to the rest of the ice as they collapse, and to get tip-ins. Not having a RHS LW that can rip it like Ovechkin hurts, but having LHS RW in Tarasenko if we can work the play on the left side instead. Unfortunately, this means that we have the majority of the play working on the leftside with LHS - not a good way to set-up one-timers. Stastny would be great down low. Have Tarasenko on the right, Schwartz on the left, and Schenn playing the slot. Schenn should be looking to pick up rebounds and help Stastny distribute while constantly being a threat - this negates a really aggressive PK. Pietrangelo covers LD as a righty for better one-timers. We need to utilize the man in the slot more, and push more to the inside of the ice in order to open up space by drawing defenders.

PP1

----------- Stastny ------------
Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
----Pietrangelo----------------

PP1 will have less problems with zone entries if we aggressively move the forwards and allow Petro to work his magic. That's too many option for a PK to handle entering the zone, and then we set-up shop. That's a dominant PP1.

PP2 is more difficult. We are out of good RWs, and players that can finish down low and distribute from behind the net. Schenn and Tarasenko could potentially be double-shifted, I guess, but here it is with fresh legs:

PP2

----------Berglund-----------
Steen -- Sobotka --Blais
----Parayko------------------

OR

----------Berglund----------
Dunn -- Sobotka -- Steen
----Parayko----------------

Option 1 utilizes Blais as the trigger man for the one-timers, and has Steen as more of a cycler and distributer than a shooter. Berglund is the defacto net-front, but I'm not sure if his distribution would be good enough. Sobotka cleans up the slot.

Option 2 utilizes Steen as the one-timer on the right side for an easier shot, and Dunn works along the boards as a distributor.

What we really need is a LHS RW that can play the second unit as a trigger man. Hopefully that player can help that group with zone entries.

---------Berglund----------
Steen -- Sobotka -- XXX
----Parayko----------------

Then we get Parayko for one-timers that can also prevent shorties, and Steen goes back to distributing along the boards where we know he can be effective. Tryouts will need to be held to see who can be the best distributor from behind the net, and who can finish the best in the slot. I think Sobotka would be good in the slot, but I'm not sure about Berglund as more than a big body.

Our current PP with two defensemen and not utilizing the slot makes it ineffective. We also don't have enough speedy options to enter against a stacked-line PK for our zone entry. This fixes both issues. We are really missing Shattenkirk as the RHS and distributor, and we're missing Fabbs for his quick entry and finish. Both those guys brought firepower and zone entry to the second unit by bumping Petro down and having another triggerman/entry man in Fabbri. Getting another LHS RW scorer with speed would work wonders.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Its ridiculous that everyone on this board knows the problem, yet the Blues keep going to it. Ok, its not the only problem, but it is a big one. If we ran a poll and asked...

"Do you like Steen on the point for the PP?
(1) Yes
(2) Meh
(3) We should try that out
(4) No
(5) Good god no, please for the love of all that is good and holy never put him there again, please god I will sacrifice onto you my first born child, just keep Steen away from the point."

99% of us would say 5 (with the exception of those who have and love their first born, they might say 4), and the one clueless guy who never actually watches games would vote 3. Yet, they keep rolling it out and wonder why we struggle.
we are taking polls. what do you suggest?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad