The poke checking is ruining this game ...

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I've been playing EA's NHL competitively since NHL '99 and I can say this is up there as one of the weakest NHL games they've ever released, when referring to the gameplay .

The poke check is simply too effective . Online has become a joke , there's no open space and it's nearly impossible to create anything since everyone just poke checks 24-7. The new defensive strategy is just pressing the right trigger over and over . They have to fix it the poke check was already exploited enough in previous versions but now it's out of control in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Its terrible. People just hold down R1 on defense. I'm losing to middle schoolers because I don't have the patience anymore.

Why there are no skating ramifications for poke checking is beyond me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They need to do something about the fidelity of the puck in stick battles, or implement a more nuanced stick battle system that includes poke checking. On one hand, I like that defense finally has a tool that has the same effectiveness level as RS maneuvering is on offense. On the other, the way the game has become in the corners with "poke check battles" is absurd.

Last edited:

ToppsSmith

Oct 6, 2013
The poke check isn't that hard to get around. You have a skill stick on offence too. Use it. It has been easier this year then years prior to walk in and get a decent shot off.

InChuckWeTrust

Apr 18, 2016
The poke check isn't that hard to get around. You have a skill stick on offence too. Use it. It has been easier this year then years prior to walk in and get a decent shot off.

Totally agree. The defensive skill stick is one of the best recent additions to the game. It gave balance to defence and gives you the ability to keep your stick in passing lanes, which was impossible to do before without taking a ton of penalties. Good players will find a way to use it to their advantage, and the ones who don't will complain.

Reactions: ToppsSmith

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Totally agree. The defensive skill stick is one of the best recent additions to the game. It gave balance to defence and gives you the ability to keep your stick in passing lanes, which was impossible to do before without taking a ton of penalties. Good players will find a way to use it to their advantage, and the ones who don't will complain.

This.

However, I wish they would players able to skate while moving the skill stick left and right. Makes no sense to me why a player shouldn't be able to skate while doing basic puck handling (exception of course being if you're controlling the puck too far out on your backhand or forhand).

Reactions: ToppsSmith

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
That's why I don't play online.

I have fun offline with my own sliders...

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

Yup, as a Dman in EASHL we have been forced for close to ten years to adapt. Now we have a weapon and the figure skaters/cross crease QC 420 crosby dangles whiners are screaming bloddy murder. The salt tastes soooo godd.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
If you're good enough, like anything you'll adapt to the pokechecks and figure a way around it. Create your own space. Sometimes it's a bit absurd...I've seen a guy pokecheck from two paces behind me and somehow manage to grab the puck through my legs...but aside from that I have it figured out.

The biggest detriment to my overall record is how the goalies play game to game. Sometimes they stop anything and other times they let it everything. That and the fact my internet connection has booted me a few times.

The biggest issue to fix is picking up a loose puck. It's pretty annoyingly hard. You circle around it sometimes and just friggin cant...

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
I love the defensive skill stick. I HATE that players are not punished for rushing at a player full speed and poking. You would get roasted for doing that in the NHL. Absolutely, have the DSS allow for better coverage, forcing the puck to area, knocking down passes, etc. But the lack of risk to being hyper aggressive, plus the insane amount of pokes from behind on breakaways is totally counter-intuitive to defensive hockey.

Don't reward bad hockey.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Agreed, but there's no other way to defend and get the pck from someone asid from pokechecks and hitting.

That's what you get when EA produces an arcade game.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It's called a "Skill Stick" they spent all year working on it. As in you need super skill to get around it, but they're terribly proud of this accomplishment in the past year, so don't expect it to go any time soon.

Oh yeah, they added mascots. That won somebody employee of the year.

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
Defensive skill stick is great but the poke check is stupid now. No penalties, spam all you want.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
yea just changed my tune about it after last night. played 4 straight games and lost...just couldnt find any room at all and spamming poke check just makes everyone bunch up together and the puck slithers about

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In 3 on 3, hitting is actually more overpowered.

If you are in their radius (I.E. anywhere you need to get to score). your controller seizes to work and you get smashed.

You're allowed to hit from behind, charge, elbow, whatever, no penalties.

Cunuck

Jun 12, 2010
Vancouver
I've only played 3v3 EASHL so far, but it's probably the most fun I've had playing club since NHL 14. I play forward and I don't think the poking is a problem at all. Good body positioning actually pays off much more now as I can feela distinct advantage when I'm along the boards as a power forward compared to previous games.

Defensive tools have been completely ignored for several years so I'm glad they've finally made them more on par with the forward tool set.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Some guys can protect the puck in a way that you just poke through/over the puck over and over again.

Does anyone know about this glitch?

Same people can lift your stick when they are behind you (?), without ever getting a penalty.

How?

It's enough that I look the wrong way at someone and I get a pen for tripping..

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

In what way is this poke checking realistic? There's ways around it no doubt, but how is one little jab within a couple feet of the puck makes you unable to handle it and immediately forfeits possession, I like the idea of blocking passing lanes etc. that actually works now. But multiple times I enter the zone and a light jab from the opposition knocks the puck loose and gameplay also won't allow me to regain possession despite standing over the puck still. I'm all for improvements but let's keep the gameplay realistic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad