OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That is a cheap signing. He was looking for almost double that amount. No way he was going to get that, but still to sign him under $5 million for three years is pretty amazing.

It also enables the Steelers to look elsewhere with that pick.

Perhaps this guy?

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I won't believe anything until the NFL fires Al Riveron and he takes his Patriots jersey with him when he goes.

If the JJ play stood and the Steelers won the division, I’m 100% sure Tomlin would have been abused by BB or basically anyone other slightly above avg coach he faced in the playoffs.

It’s all good though. Pats had the call go agt them when it mattered most, so things worked out in the end.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I even like how the tone of the quips were. It wasn't "we want to redefine what a catch is", it's more "these were catches and we want to make the rules say so".

And yeah, they likely still would have gotten mopped up by someone in the playoffs, but a man can dream.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
That is a cheap signing. He was looking for almost double that amount. No way he was going to get that, but still to sign him under $5 million for three years is pretty amazing.

It also enables the Steelers to look elsewhere with that pick.

Perhaps this guy?

Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Poor athlete, average arm, terrible vision, a few mechanical issues and we have too many needs right now to waste a 2nd round pick on another project QB. James Washington made Rudolph look a hell of a lot better than he actually was.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
CBS has Steelers drafting Lamar Jackson in Round 1. Sounds like Kordell Stewart Part Deux. Most of what I've heard is that Pro Scouts don't think he'll play QB in the NFL.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
CBS has Steelers drafting Lamar Jackson in Round 1. Sounds like Kordell Stewart Part Deux. Most of what I've heard is that Pro Scouts don't think he'll play QB in the NFL.

He will 100% play QB in the NFL. Whether he's a good QB remains to be seen, but I don't think there's any chance that he's going to switch positions. Full disclosure: I love him as a prospect. Yes, he has flaws, but they're fixable. He's a smart kid and he's got a dynamite combo of arm strength and athleticism. If he has the opportunity to sit and learn for a couple of years, I think he'll be a big success. Honestly, the thing that worries me most about him is that he's incredibly thin. He's barely 200 pounds. He definitely needs to add some bulk, but he's got a really narrow frame so that might be difficult. I don't mean this condescendingly, but have you watched him play? He might sound like Kordell, but he sure as hell doesn't look anything like Kordell on the field. Kordell wasn't nearly as talented and he sure as hell didn't have a fraction of Jackson's intelligence.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
He will 100% play QB in the NFL. Whether he's a good QB remains to be seen, but I don't think there's any chance that he's going to switch positions. Full disclosure: I love him as a prospect. Yes, he has flaws, but they're fixable. He's a smart kid and he's got a dynamite combo of arm strength and athleticism. If he has the opportunity to sit and learn for a couple of years, I think he'll be a big success. Honestly, the thing that worries me most about him is that he's incredibly thin. He's barely 200 pounds. He definitely needs to add some bulk, but he's got a really narrow frame so that might be difficult. I don't mean this condescendingly, but have you watched him play? He might sound like Kordell, but he sure as hell doesn't look anything like Kordell on the field. Kordell wasn't nearly as talented and he sure as hell didn't have a fraction of Jackson's intelligence.
my nfl draft has us taking rash evans ilb. they have been close before, but its still early.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I’ve only seen him play a few times against good teams, so for the most part, I’m just relating what I’ve heard. I was comparing him to K only in the sense that he’s a high pick on whom the “experts” are somewhat divided on whether he’ll play qb or some other position.

I’m not a draftnik, but I’ve seen mayfield play a bunch of times and he just jumps out to me as a guy who will be successful at the next level, but experts like kiper didn’t even have him going in the first round early this year. Now most have him going in the top 10, but I wouldn’t say he’s much different now than he was a year ago. I was hoping the Steelers would have shot at him but it doesn’t look like it will happen now.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I was told by an individual present at PSU’s pro day the Steelers were heavily scouting and talking to S Troy Apke. The individual told me you couldn’t separate the two.

I personally don’t like him as a player, he gets beat due to positioning, but he’s fast and a good kid from all accounts. He’s projected at a UDFA, so I hope we don’t blow a 5th or something on him.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I’ve only seen him play a few times against good teams, so for the most part, I’m just relating what I’ve heard. I was comparing him to K only in the sense that he’s a high pick on whom the “experts” are somewhat divided on whether he’ll play qb or some other position.

I’m not a draftnik, but I’ve seen mayfield play a bunch of times and he just jumps out to me as a guy who will be successful at the next level, but experts like kiper didn’t even have him going in the first round early this year. Now most have him going in the top 10, but I wouldn’t say he’s much different now than he was a year ago. I was hoping the Steelers would have shot at him but it doesn’t look like it will happen now.

I understand why there are people who are skeptical of Jackson. His accuracy is subpar, he floats too many passes for having such a great arm and there are some mechanical adjustments he'll need to make (mainly with how he uses his lower body on certain throws). On the other hand, he's very comfortable under center, he shows poise in the pocket and he generally makes good decisions - three things that you would never associate with a guy who needs to change positions. I don't want to play the race card, so I'll say this - any "expert" who thinks he can't and shouldn't play QB in the NFL is not somebody worth listening to. He was literally a one man show at Louisville so I can't rag on him too much for the sub 60% completion rate. I do think if he was taken top 5 and expected to start right away, he'd be set up to fail. If there's a team that can afford to wait on him, I think they'll reap the benefits for a long time. He's a comparable athlete to Michael Vick, but he's a better QB.

Mayfield's alright IMO. He has that Oklahoma QB stigma working against him and he has the dreaded combo of being both a very short QB and a QB who played in a spread offense. I think that he was initially underrated and now he's become a bit overrated. He's not bad, I don't see any red flags that make me think he can't succeed, I'm just not a huge fan. I'd certainly rather have him than Mason Rudolph, though. Rudolph has looked like trash every time I've seen him play. Let me put it this way, Landry Jones has a better arm than Mason Rudolph.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I understand why there are people who are skeptical of Jackson. His accuracy is subpar, he floats too many passes for having such a great arm and there are some mechanical adjustments he'll need to make (mainly with how he uses his lower body on certain throws). On the other hand, he's very comfortable under center, he shows poise in the pocket and he generally makes good decisions - three things that you would never associate with a guy who needs to change positions. I don't want to play the race card, so I'll say this - any "expert" who thinks he can't and shouldn't play QB in the NFL is not somebody worth listening to. He was literally a one man show at Louisville so I can't rag on him too much for the sub 60% completion rate. I do think if he was taken top 5 and expected to start right away, he'd be set up to fail. If there's a team that can afford to wait on him, I think they'll reap the benefits for a long time. He's a comparable athlete to Michael Vick, but he's a better QB.

Mayfield's alright IMO. He has that Oklahoma QB stigma working against him and he has the dreaded combo of being both a very short QB and a QB who played in a spread offense. I think that he was initially underrated and now he's become a bit overrated. He's not bad, I don't see any red flags that make me think he can't succeed, I'm just not a huge fan. I'd certainly rather have him than Mason Rudolph, though. Rudolph has looked like trash every time I've seen him play. Let me put it this way, Landry Jones has a better arm than Mason Rudolph.
Mayfield also ran up big numbers in the Big 12. So that’s another strike, but some of the throws I’ve seen him make to all parts of the field are pretty spectacular. The height is a drawback, but Brees and Wilson (although the latter is more athletic and the former is more accurate) have certainly overcome that to be incredibly successful. Plus he’s smart, works hard, and despite some immature actions seems to have his act together. He seems a mix of Favre and Brees.

Speaking of bad mechanics, again I’m not an expert, but Cam Newton’s throwing motion, particularly the apparent lack of using his lower body, makes me wonder how he gets so much juice on his throws.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Mayfield also ran up big numbers in the Big 12. So that’s another strike, but some of the throws I’ve seen him make to all parts of the field are pretty spectacular. The height is a drawback, but Brees and Wilson (although the latter is more athletic and the former is more accurate) have certainly overcome that to be incredibly successful. Plus he’s smart, works hard, and despite some immature actions seems to have his act together. He seems a mix of Favre and Brees.

Speaking of bad mechanics, again I’m not an expert, but Cam Newton’s throwing motion, particularly the apparent lack of using his lower body, makes me wonder how he gets so much juice on his throws.

Yeah, Mayfield definitely looked great in college and, like I said, I don't see any critical flaw that suggests he can't make it in the NFL. I don't care at all if he's cocky. Every great QB is cocky. It's hilarious how people will tear these kids apart for "thinking too much of themselves", then turn around and praise the same attitudes once they make it in the NFL. The most important thing, nay the only important thing, is that his teammates respect him.

Re: Newton, generally speaking, footwork has a much larger impact on accuracy than it does velocity. Vick, Jackson and Newton are all guys who have subpar footwork, yet extremely strong arms. The problem is when you've got a guy like Rudolph (have I mentioned that I hate him as a prospect?) who has a weak arm and poor footwork.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. Poor athlete, average arm, terrible vision, a few mechanical issues and we have too many needs right now to waste a 2nd round pick on another project QB. James Washington made Rudolph look a hell of a lot better than he actually was.

While watching him he reminds me a little bit of Carr and a whole hell of a lot of Bortles. Bortles is more athletic than Rudolph is as well. He's one that would need reshaped. But still I'm not sold on his arm strength.

Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
While watching him he reminds me a little bit of Carr and a whole hell of a lot of Bortles. Bortles is more athletic than Rudolph is as well. He's one that would need reshaped. But still I'm not sold on his arm strength.

Yeah, I can definitely see the Bortles comparison in terms of his arm. Bortles is on another planet in terms of athleticism, though.

If I'm taking a project QB, I want someone with premium raw tools. I don't really see any of those with Rudolph.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
For those interested, the Pittsburgh Riverhounds start their season away to Nashville today. 20K+ crowd expected.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, I can definitely see the Bortles comparison in terms of his arm. Bortles is on another planet in terms of athleticism, though.

If I'm taking a project QB, I want someone with premium raw tools. I don't really see any of those with Rudolph.

You mean like Ryan Leaf?

Reading this last page would make me assume your track record in evaluating college QB isn't very good.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
You mean like Ryan Leaf?

Reading this last page would make me assume your track record in evaluating college QB isn't very good.

Reading this post would make me assume that you struggle with simple logic.

What does Ryan Leaf have to do with anything? If someone said that they preferred tall receivers, would you respond with, "You mean like Limas Sweed"? If you're going to be needlessly antagonistic, at least try to make sense.

Reactions: USMC607

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh hiring Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel
Pittsburgh is expected to hire Duke assistant Jeff Capel as its next head coach, sources told ESPN.

Capel, 43, has worked under Mike Krzyzewski at Duke for the past seven seasons, establishing himself as one of the best recruiters in college basketball. The Blue Devils have landed the No. 1 class in the country in four of the past five seasons, with Capel the top recruiter on staff.

Capel also spent five seasons as the head coach at Oklahoma and four seasons as the head coach at VCU. At Oklahoma, Capel led the Sooners to two NCAA tournament appearances, including an Elite Eight run in 2009 with Blake Griffin. Capel went to one NCAA tournament with VCU in 2004.

Sources: Pitt hiring Duke assistant Capel

It is a much better hire than I expected to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87 and Oxide

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Jeff Capel is the best recruiter in the country. Both OU and Duke had massive spikes in recruiting when he went there. He's had some issues with X's and O's and personality clashes, but I've heard he's mellowed since his father died. Definitely an exciting hire and probably the best case scenario for Pitt after missing on their top candidates.

Reactions: Oxide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad