OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Man does this give me heartburn. Can't help but see Dotson 2.0 and 3.0. I have faith but the history is certainly there.

I think it’s just testing to see how they do. Both of those positions have a faster track to starting than LT with Jones and LG with Seumalo.

Well the thing that is interesting is that they are flipping Fautanu. Fautanu probably would have been ranked ahead of Jones if they were in the same draft. Jones has been working at RT for a year. I just think it kind of shows the belief they have in Jones as a LT to so quickly put a really good LT at RT right off the hop.

This camp will be awesome to watch with this new line.

One of them is going to have to learn to adjust to their off-side and that's all there is to it. One thing I don't like about the pick.

Personally, I was pretty worried about Jones falling apart in pass protection at the end of last year. It's why I wanted him back on his left side. If Fautanu looks more natural on the right, it's an easy one for me.

It kind of goes without saying, but a Heyward extension completely depends on how much he wants. Even at 35 and playing with a bad injury, he was better than Ogunjobi. He was still very good against the run but didn’t have any pass rush juice.

I could still see him being at least a useful rotational piece as he gets even older. And it’s not like this team is stacked with talent at DL.

This.

The question is whether the extension he wants will reflect that, or whether he thinks he's still going to be the man for another three years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I realize that shitting on everything Steelers and Penguins that you can is your thing, but this is such a dumb post. Jason Kelce was an All-Pro at age 36 last season. Cam Jordan, Von Miller, Demario Davis, JPP, Trent Williams...there are a lot of active players older than Heyward. The Steelers DL is hardly in the sad state you lol like to lol it to be - Benton was a terrific rookie, Ogunjobi is a solid player, and Cam was still an elite level player prior to getting hurt. If you want to lol about the WR depth or CB depth lol away, but this is a bad post, even for you.

There are very few effective old players in the NHL, especially ones coming off a groin injury…it’s so infrequent that citing a few of them is ridiculous…sure, if they need Cam back this season and he’s a great mentor, fine…but he should not be playing another 2-3 seasons as he says he wants to do…none of those guys you cite except one were very good… what they need to do is do a better job drafting for DL

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There are very few effective old players in the NHL, especially ones coming off a groin injury…it’s so infrequent that citing a few of them is ridiculous…sure, if they need Cam back this season and he’s a great mentor, fine…but he should not be playing another 2-3 seasons as he says he wants to do…none of those guys you cite except one were very good… what they need to do is do a better job drafting for DL
Benton was a great pick just last year, and with other far more pressing needs this draft season I have no issue not going in that direction. As others have noted, it’s all about the details, but he was still playing at a high level headed into last season before his groin injury. There’s little reason to think he just completely lost it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Benton was a great pick just last year, and with other far more pressing needs this draft season I have no issue not going in that direction. As others have noted, it’s all about the details, but he was still playing at a high level headed into last season before his groin injury. There’s little reason to think he just completely lost it.
I like Benton a lot. He’s not a 5 technique like Cam. 35 with a groin injury he’s rehabbing from.. I’d be concerned if I was the Steelers…I know there wasn’t much in the draft to select in round one but when the run on DL started happening in round two, I hope they don’t regret not moving up instead solely being focused on the OL

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

DL take time to mature though and they don't have a time machine. I'm sure they'll draft a DL high next year but that guy isn't going to be an instant fix.

Free agency is where you get Ogunjobis.

I don't see a magic bullet here that means the Steelers can just go "sorry, too old, go away".

I also think you're big time inflating his decline in performance. He was very good before the groin injury. He was still noticeably improving run defence after it. He now has a chance to rehab it fully.

Will he be good for three years? Maybe not but that's why we talk money.

I like Benton a lot. He’s not a 5 technique like Cam. 35 with a groin injury he’s rehabbing from.. I’d be concerned if I was the Steelers…I know there wasn’t much in the draft to select in round one but when the run on DL started happening in round two, I hope they don’t regret not moving up instead solely being focused on the OL

If Frazier is what he's advertised as, nothing will make me regret the Steelers picking him there. Yes the Steelers had other needs but fixing the OL was a huge thing.

The cold truth is it's going to take the Steelers a while to fix the mismanagement that occurred between drafting TJ Watt and Colbert leaving. I'd rather start with an OL that can protect a QB than at any other place though.

Reactions: td_ice and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
DL take time to mature though and they don't have a time machine. I'm sure they'll draft a DL high next year but that guy isn't going to be an instant fix.

Free agency is where you get Ogunjobis.

I don't see a magic bullet here that means the Steelers can just go "sorry, too old, go away".

I also think you're big time inflating his decline in performance. He was very good before the groin injury. He was still noticeably improving run defence after it. He now has a chance to rehab it fully.

Will he be good for three years? Maybe not but that's why we talk money.

If Frazier is what he's advertised as, nothing will make me regret the Steelers picking him there. Yes the Steelers had other needs but fixing the OL was a huge thing.

The cold truth is it's going to take the Steelers a while to fix the mismanagement that occurred between drafting TJ Watt and Colbert leaving. I'd rather start with an OL that can protect a QB than at any other place though.

I like Frazier but both lines needed an overhaul…I wouldn’t have minded if they picked D line in the second and took another center later…I’ll judge based on what I see when the season starts

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Frazier and Peyton Wilson both just scream cornerstone players to me. Wilson and Queen in the middle of this defense is going to be INSANE to see. I'd love to see them bring back some exotic blitz packages with the LBs they have now.

Frazier just looks like a Steeler. I just think this draft and last draft are going to define this generation of Steelers football. I'm so very, very excited for Herbig. What he showed last year, the work ethic he has, I just think he could be a monster. He's so much more explosive than Highsmith - I just don't know if he will be able to hold up to full time workload.

2025 looks like a draft where we can go after the DL and CB. It looks to be lining up decently well for that.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t know any other NFL team employing a 35-37 aged player lol who’s not a QB or kicker/punter…Cam wasn’t very effective last season…it’s sad that our DL is in such a state that we have to consider signing him for another two seasons lol
TBH The only reason they'd consider it is for a lower cap to free up money for a trade with big time WR. If that happens I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe two years not three.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't know where Cam wasn't effective. He is aging...but he's still an effective player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
TBH The only reason they'd consider it is for a lower cap to free up money for a trade with big time WR. If that happens I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe two years not three.
lol, honestly don’t think anyone is coming to save our WR room…let’s hope Roman is the next AB without the dementia lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I like Frazier but both lines needed an overhaul…I wouldn’t have minded if they picked D line in the second and took another center later…I’ll judge based on what I see when the season starts

I'll buy that both lines need as much help when considering the future in a vacuum but for me the OL has a bigger impact. It's really hard to develop guys on offence without much of an OL. I'd rather address OL first.

Also short term, Heyward/Benton/Ogunjobi is going to have a far better season than Herbig would at C.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This next draft seems to have a lot of DL that will fit in well here. I fully expect them to go in the DL/Secondary route.

My biggest curiosity right now is where the organization and Najee stand. Reading that Najee wanted them to decline his fifth year because he's ready to move on. I also heard that the organization wants him to prove himself in the new offense. These aren't typically the most amicable situations. I'm very curious if they will give him a 2-year deal for around what the 5th year would have been guaranteed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This next draft seems to have a lot of DL that will fit in well here. I fully expect them to go in the DL/Secondary route.

My biggest curiosity right now is where the organization and Najee stand. Reading that Najee wanted them to decline his fifth year because he's ready to move on. I also heard that the organization wants him to prove himself in the new offense. These aren't typically the most amicable situations. I'm very curious if they will give him a 2-year deal for around what the 5th year would have been guaranteed.

His agent has said this didn't happen.

Dulac came out yesterday and said the Steelers aren't dissatisfied with Harris and will try to extend him. I'm still trying to gauge what the Khan Steelers mean when they say things but right now I'm very 'believe it when I see it' on that.

Now the exact Dulac quote about possible contract structure that SD picked up runs:

"I think the idea will be to give him a new contract, a two-year contract, and somewhere along the line, that type of money that he was missing out on, 6.9m will be reflected in a signing bonus. And then they'll maybe backload it a little bit and see with the shelf life of running backs in the NFL. I think that's what they're going to do. They are not ready to give up on Najee Harris or move on from Najee Harris."

It doesn't make sense. You can't do a two year contract that's backloaded and is also wait and see. There's also not a whole lot of reason for him to do a two year contract. RBs can get three year contracts when signing at age 27 and that's what he should aim for. If an injury prone James Conner can get a three year deal starting his age 27 season, so can Harris.

Right now it feels like a "we didn't get the reaction we hoped for from 'we want to see him in the new offence' so we're going to make things sound better but are still basically planning to walk away from him". Maybe I'm wrong but that's where I'm at.

Reactions: JTG

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Dulac came out yesterday and said the Steelers aren't dissatisfied with Harris and will try to extend him. I'm still trying to gauge what the Khan Steelers mean when they say things but right now I'm very 'believe it when I see it' on that.

Now the exact Dulac quote about possible contract structure that SD picked up runs:

"I think the idea will be to give him a new contract, a two-year contract, and somewhere along the line, that type of money that he was missing out on, 6.9m will be reflected in a signing bonus. And then they'll maybe backload it a little bit and see with the shelf life of running backs in the NFL. I think that's what they're going to do. They are not ready to give up on Najee Harris or move on from Najee Harris."

It doesn't make sense. You can't do a two year contract that's backloaded and is also wait and see. There's also not a whole lot of reason for him to do a two year contract. RBs can get three year contracts when signing at age 27 and that's what he should aim for. If an injury prone James Conner can get a three year deal starting his age 27 season, so can Harris.

Right now it feels like a "we didn't get the reaction we hoped for from 'we want to see him in the new offence' so we're going to make things sound better but are still basically planning to walk away from him". Maybe I'm wrong but that's where I'm at.
Seems like a rare mistake by the Khan-Weidl team. The fifth-year option was cheap.

But time will tell.

The gamble is that the wheels will fall off next year and beyond. Time will tell if they gambled correctly.

Reactions: Son Goku

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Appreciate the post! Thanks for catching me up!

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
How I view a season being beyond our wildest dreams successful - we can run the ball, and Queen and P Wilson become instant impact players. Imagine this defense with two MLBs that can fly. I'm probably just as excited for that as I am for the running game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seems like a rare mistake by the Khan-Weidl team. The fifth-year option was cheap.

But time will tell.

The gamble is that the wheels will fall off next year and beyond. Time will tell if they gambled correctly.

I find it hard to be down on a GM betting against a RB defying time.

But that's kind of what I don't get. A longer term extension is more a bet on a RB lasting than picking up the 5th year option and saying "cya" after. Sure, they can offer him a long term deal that has the money backloaded and non-guaranteed to try and hedge the bet... I'll be shocked if he says yes before the season. After the season, he's probably taking the highest bid, and if he can't get a higher bid than that it's because he sucked and why do you want him anyway?

Which is why, based on the media stuff, I'm being cynical and thinking the Steelers just aren't that into him but are doing PR spin to avoid admitting it

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
IMO the answer is they’re just not that high on Najee and this is his final year as a Steeler.

Hopefully you can keep Warren for a fair number for 2-3 years and draft an RB in the 3rd-4th next season.

Agree it makes no sense to extend Najee though, that’s where it would be odd.

Reactions: Peat

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Pickens working out with Diontae and Steven Sims

Some good words from his trainer about the importance of Pickens developing his short route game.

I think we will miss Diontae given what has followed. I like the kid from Michigan but Diontae was freakishly good at getting open. He had flaws otherwise and they were well-documented. But no QB suffered from having him as an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad