OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Schrefter saying Dupree is talking with the Steelers among other teams.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pitts effectively being a receiver at this point probably distorted it too.

But you can also go to the 2020 Titans season where the dude had 4 TEs with over 250 snaps, and only 2 WRs only 300, and do the maths.

I do have to say though that if we're going to run a bunch of 2 TE sets, they don't look fantastically well set up for that either. Maybe I believe in Washington and Heyward a lot less than others... part of me wonders if we don't see a ton of Warren/Harris out there together.

I had this exact thought. If they're not going to bring in a true WR2, I'd rather have a better TE2 than Washington or Heyward.

I'm fine with filling the #2 WR role by committee and having all of Pickens, Wilson, Harris, Freiermuth and a good TE2 as main receiving threats. But they need a legit TE2 to do that, and they don't have that.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I had this exact thought. If they're not going to bring in a true WR2, I'd rather have a better TE2 than Washington or Heyward.

I'm fine with filling the #2 WR role by committee and having all of Pickens, Wilson, Harris, Freiermuth and a good TE2 as main receiving threats. But they need a legit TE2 to do that, and they don't have that.
We may not even have one good pass catching TE for large portions of the season given Muth is always injured

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
CA3 is fast, adding more such guys is rather redundant. None of them are world beaters, I guess we'll choose which one is less sucky. There's probably at least two of those guys who will get cut. Competition to be sure, not so sure the quality of said competition. #bestsmurfwins

I just think we're rather ''precarious'' in the WR department. Love drafting RW, however that's expecting quite a lot right out of the shoot.

We need another option. An Aiyuk guy puts this offense over the top, IMO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
CB and DL have potential to be bigger issues than WR imo

I'd say CB is right now the biggest problem area on the team. We have no idea who the slot CB is and that guy is going to play a lot of snaps. I also think the idea that Porter is the single biggest lynchpin to their position room has a lot going for it. At least if Pickens goes down you can try scheming some stuff that relies less on WR. There's not a lot of way to protect CBs.

Part of me wonders if they're planning to use three S or LB in place of a nickel CB a lot. Kazee and Wilson are both as strong an athlete as a lot of slot corners.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would be lying if I said I wasn't really intrigued by Philly's CB duo and how that is going to change the league. Both should be studs. It will be awesome to watch.

Next draft, CB and DL are the biggest needs. We could also use a S across from Minkah. All D.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Kenny Pickett has good leadership qualities? A guy running away from a QB competition to be a guaranteed backup sure screams leader to me. Then there is the entire Seattle fiasco…. But yeah, Kenny has good leadership qualities for sure.

Kenny felt jerked around by Tomlin and I think probably rightfully so.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Najees agent already shot down the rumors he wants out. I don't see why he'd want out anyway. The new offense is going to be as run heavy as any in the league and he's going to have by far the best offensive line he's ever had. He's in position to have his best ever season and then hit UFA a year early due to the Steelers declining that 5th year option. It's a good situation for him.

If I were the Steelers I'd be open to trading him just because philosophically I don't like losing a player for nothing in UFA but it has to be a decent offer. No point in giving him away. Khan has done a nice job of acquiring extra draft capital in each of his first two drafts. That's a nice contrast from Colbert. Felt like we were the ones always giving away draft capital under him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Once more.

I will only believe that Tomlin will be hands off the offense and not screw it up when I actually see it.

He burned through every benefit of the doubt long ago.

Until then, the offense will continue to frustrate and suck and talented offensive players whose contracts depend in performance would be idiots to want to stay.

Reactions: The Old Master

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Najees agent already shot down the rumors he wants out. I don't see why he'd want out anyway. The new offense is going to be as run heavy as any in the league and he's going to have by far the best offensive line he's ever had. He's in position to have his best ever season and then hit UFA a year early due to the Steelers declining that 5th year option. It's a good situation for him.

If I were the Steelers I'd be open to trading him just because philosophically I don't like losing a player for nothing in UFA but it has to be a decent offer. No point in giving him away. Khan has done a nice job of acquiring extra draft capital in each of his first two drafts. That's a nice contrast from Colbert. Felt like we were the ones always giving away draft capital under him.

Correct on shooting it down.

The case for Harris wanting out is pretty easy though and that is he's likely to lose 30 carries and might lose as many as 70. He's going to have to be very efficient to cope for that lost workload.

I've also seem rumous that the Steelers were trying to trade him - this back in April - and speculation that the Steelers not deciding on his 5th year option for so long was due to trying to preserve trade value. Which makes a lot of sense to me.

They also signed that tight end that was in Atlanta last year. Pruitt?

They did but he's only had over 20 targets in a season once. I dunno whether that's great blocking TE subpar receiver or just subpar receiver, but either way, doesn't really cure the desire for a do it all TE 2.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No surprise. But, the reporting says that the new OC will be tightly controlled by Tomlin who will call the shots.

Welcome to Canada 2.01

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

If you're trying to win in 2024, which the Steelers are, you don't dump starters for draft picks just to maximize resources. We went through this debate with DJ before he was dealt, and while I appreciate the idea that you don't want to lose players for nothing, this isn't the NHL or MLB where guys on expiring contracts get dealt just because of their contract status. And really, while I like Warren, he's never been a #1 back, he has significant fumbling issues, and you have nothing after him and now the draft and free agency are done. Play it out with Najee and take the comp pick.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Trade value in the NFL really isn’t there, either. I’m still dumbfounded how we got a 2nd for f***ing Chase Claypool because that just doesn’t happen, haha. Najee’s return likely wouldn’t match the carries/production we’d lose by dealing him.

I didn’t think the Steelers would pick up his option and said as much during this past season. I’m not very high on him, but the loss would definitely be felt this year at this point.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I said it after they acquired Diggs that the Steelers should look to trade for Metchie or Woods - and now the Texans have added another receiver via trade (Skowronek from the Rams, not a significant add but still). So maybe the thought is someone will get released? I realize that's a thing league-wide and not just the Texans but that' a team that seems receiver-rich.

And yes, I know Metchie is unproven and becomes just another guy we hope emerges from the pack, but he at least makes the pack bigger, and with a guy who profiles nicely with NFL receiver skills. Woods is proven but less dynamic even than he used to be - but he's the right profile as a reliable vet who plays on the outside.

Ultimately, it's probably not worth looking at specific teams or players because stuff always happens in camps and a lot of it is unexpected. As many have said, the hope/expectation is that Khan has a plan to fill the 2/3 slot with Pickens and Wilson.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Kenny felt jerked around by Tomlin and I think probably rightfully so.
He felt jerked around because he’s an entitled little baby. Because his play sure didn’t warrant being guaranteed a damn thing. The guy literally requested a trade because he didn’t think he should have to compete and people think he’s a leader? That’s just wild to me

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Heyward and Washington are more than capable at TE2 and TE3.
Heyward and Freiermuth are two guys that need to be focused more. Heyward can really catch the ball. It'd be so nice to turn him into one of these H-backs that can block, run, and receive. It just adds another wrinkle in the offense where the defense doesn't know what is going on when Heyward is there.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
They are absolutely going to run Harris into the ground until the wheels fall off this season.

I don't see that at all. I think it will skew to be more of a 50/50 split from a carries perspective not like last season and will be a 50/50 split from a snap perspective like last season.

And If I was Harris I would absolutely want to be a free agent as soon as possible. Every player does, but especially for a running back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad