OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I can see us going ILB with our next 3rd rounder.
I can still see a trade for Sutton to complement Pickens and Wilson. Maybe our 4th.
Then Devonshire in the 6th.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also just a thing on the whole slot thing...

... I think it's assumed that since Smithy doesn't use 13 personnel sets much he doesn't use slot receivers, but this team has been paying attention slots all the way. We sure he doesn't run WRs on slot routes?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Wilson's combine performance was also really good in terms of 40 time, vertical jump and shuttle time. He's not a strong WR, but he seems to have good speed/agility/jumping while also being willing to play a physical style.

I'm not putting some insane upside on him, but he's a really nice pick as a playmaking slot guy IMO. Fills a lot of the same strengths as Johnson while not being a headcase. He's not as physical as Juju but I think the Juju comparison is pretty appropriate for his upside.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Can’t say I love the Wilson pick. But yea the one thing he isn’t is a diva. He’ll win fans over with his effort at the very least.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lay off the booger sugar man
Sounds like you have experience with this sort of thing! Explains a lot actually!

Can’t say I love the Wilson pick. But yea the one thing he isn’t is a diva. He’ll win fans over with his effort at the very least.
The value is tremendous, nothing but good things about this pick at 84.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the thing about Wilson and his future is that so far, he's not really used his pace like he could. Hasn't used it smartly as a route runner, hasn't really been in an offence that wants him to burn the wheels off of people.

So there's untapped upside if he can improve there. And if he can't, then he's still probably a good solid high effort slot WR as fair value.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So far Brugler had the Steelers' picks ranked at 9, 34, and 41. Brugler isn't infalliable, but that's still pretty nice to see.

PFF had Wilson at 44 and since this is a crazy deep class, suggested he would have gone earlier in a normal year:

In a different receiver class, Wilson would be much higher on these rankings. He not only brings NFL-level speed but also NFL-level determination at the catch point and when blocking. His tape shows a player coaches would love to have.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
wtf IS WRONG WITH YOU GET LOST!

MOVE OVER 1974!
1714186727318.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the thing about Wilson and his future is that so far, he's not really used his pace like he could. Hasn't used it smartly as a route runner, hasn't really been in an offence that wants him to burn the wheels off of people.

So there's untapped upside if he can improve there. And if he can't, then he's still probably a good solid high effort slot WR as fair value.

Yeah I think that sums it up perfectly. I almost wanted to call him a "physical slot WR", but he doesn't really have the strength to fit that. But "high effort slot WR willing to play physical" is how I'd describe him from what I've read.

Man, this draft has just been excellent for Khan. Filling huge needs while also getting great value for their picks. I think the Frazier pick was about expected, but Fautanu at 20 and Wilson at 84 are both way lower than they were projected to go at.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Here was CBS’s blurb on McMillan taken several slots after Wilson…they gave this pick a better grade…anyone know why?

Jalen McMillan WR, WASH​

Height: 6-1, Weight: 192

Crafty, complete wideout with a trademark trait. Runs quality routes. Adequate separation. Not a burner. Not slow. Tracks it with good concentrations. Not a huge YAC type nor someone who thrives when leaping for the football in traffic. Robert Woods type with a bit more juice.(Chris Trapasso)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Another small detail I like about this is seeing Arthur Smith out there being a face of the franchise talking a lot. He needs to be a guy calling his shots and taking ownership, it's nice to see some evidence of that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Here was CBS’s blurb on McMillan taken several slots after Wilson…they gave this pick a better grade…anyone know why?

Jalen McMillan WR, WASH​

Height: 6-1, Weight: 192

Crafty, complete wideout with a trademark trait. Runs quality routes. Adequate separation. Not a burner. Not slow. Tracks it with good concentrations. Not a huge YAC type nor someone who thrives when leaping for the football in traffic. Robert Woods type with a bit more juice.(Chris Trapasso)
I liked Wilson better, superior route runner, no regrets!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad