OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d rather a C than DeJean. I also like Troy Franklin. He’d be a decent DJ replacement.

There’s only like maybe 6 WR we could select at this point who might be able to start right away on the outside…again, unless we have a trade in place, it’s stupid not to go get a WR in the second round

We don’t need to get a center in round 2 to get a starter

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Well Penix is very fast, maybe they could kick him outside for a season :sarcasm:

Speaking of wild ideas... would it even be legal for a QB to get "if you draft a first round QB in Y1 of my contract, I can sever the contract and will be on offset pay" put in their contract? Cousins has got to be steaming.

Do Carolina still pick ahead after the trade up?

Anyway, Cardinals are an obvious one. Uhm. I keep seeing Frazier mocked to Detroit in the 40s, but dunno if that involved a trade and am too bloody lazy to look it up this morning.

But yeah. Not much in the way I think. Unless a team trades up, which seems a very obvious thing to do if they want a C and they're slipping to right in front of the Steelers.

Yeah I think they got another second in one of the trades they made. I think the Burns one.

Brugler’s updated mock has JPJ sliding to the Steelers second which would be awesome. Just finish up the OL rebuild and move on.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There’s only like maybe 6 WR we could select at this point who might be able to start right away on the outside…again, unless we have a trade in place, it’s stupid not to go get a WR in the second round

Honestly, I agree with you. If we wait until RD3 for a wideout we're getting in pretty murky territory unless several inexplicably drop. So, as you stated unless we have a deal for a WR I'd go WR in RD2.

Reactions: Andy99

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Honestly, I agree with you. If we wait until RD3 for a wideout we're getting in pretty murky territory unless several inexplicably drop. So, as you stated unless we have a deal for a WR I'd go WR in RD2.
It's already gonna be murky at 51. I know people are saying it's a deep class, but it appears to me like that just means there are a lot of guys who deserve to be on NFL rosters, not necessarily a lot of guys who are sure-fire starting receivers, especially guys on the outside.

Reactions: Andy99 and xlm34

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If a first round talent center or DB is there at 51 you can take a couple of flyers on WR's in the later rounds. Are they less sure things? Yes. But that is the benefit of taking a couple and seeing which pans out. I still see a trade coming as well.

They still have one DB candidate on the roster that people forget about who could turn out to be a winner. This guy:

In the end though. you don't fill all the holes that the Steelers had going into this offseason in one draft/FA splurge. Not perfectly. That the Steelers have come close is impressive.

Reactions: T1K

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Finish the OL in round 2. There is a great chance one of JPJ or Frazier is there at 51. Worst case, you might have to trade up a handful of spots, which shouldn't cost more than a 4th.

If you come out of the 1st 2 rounds with immediate starters at 2 areas of major need, it's a huge win.

This is where I'm at. If this comes to fruition, you have 3/5 of your line locked up for the next 3-4 years.

Fix the Oline and you fix a ton of problems. Sadly, it's come down to this, and it may seem like a bit of an over-correction, but the Oline has been neglected for so long.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's already gonna be murky at 51. I know people are saying it's a deep class, but it appears to me like that just means there are a lot of guys who deserve to be on NFL rosters, not necessarily a lot of guys who are sure-fire starting receivers, especially guys on the outside.

That's not a deep class though. Last year pretty much third round WR was playing at a WR3 level with 3 around WR2. There were still another four instant impact WRs left in the draft after that.

If this class can't match that, it's been horribly misclassified.

edit: p.s. Also, yes, as long as Trice struggles to stay fit he can't be part of the equation.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also @Empoleon8771 where did you get the stuff on him being a so-so run blocker cos saw this in The Athletic article

'An outstanding run blocker with top-end athleticism and the right attitude"

This is the website I use for draft information. This is what it said here:

From a draft perspective, Fautanu's quality in pass protection positions him favorably, with the potential for an early selection. His skill set offers immediate value, particularly for teams emphasizing pass-heavy offenses. If he can bridge the gap between his pass-protection excellence and run-blocking potential, Fautanu could evolve into a complete lineman.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
A place to look to trade up would be with Tennessee at pick 38. They don't have a 3rd round pick. So the Steelers could offer 51+98+2025 5th (They have 2 next year).

These are the WR left at this point:

Troy Franklin
Ladd McConkey
Adonai Mitchell
Keon Coleman
Roman Wilson
Ja'Lynn Polk
Malachi Corley

They will easily be able to get one of these guys at 51. Some may even slide to 84. So is there a guy that they think can come in and be a difference maker either from the start or very very early in the season that would be worth the trade up? It feels to me that only McConkey or Ad Mitchell could be in that category.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
A place to look to trade up would be with Tennessee at pick 38. They don't have a 3rd round pick. So the Steelers could offer 51+98+2025 5th (They have 2 next year).

These are the WR left at this point:

Troy Franklin
Ladd McConkey
Adonai Mitchell
Keon Coleman
Roman Wilson
Ja'Lynn Polk
Malachi Corley

They will easily be able to get one of these guys at 51. Some may even slide to 84. So is there a guy that they think can come in and be a difference maker either from the start or very very early in the season that would be worth the trade up? It feels to me that only McConkey or Ad Mitchell could be in that category.

While I want them to take a C, Roman Wilson will be a stud in this league. Be amazing if they could get him AND a C. Give up some draft capital next year to nap these 2 and we're cooking with gas...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is the website I use for draft information. This is what it said here:

I like Draft Buzz for showcasing info well and often being the first to show a range of consensus, but I dunno I trust them that much. In any case, there's a bunch of guys who disagree with them on this.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

I just see JPJ or Frazier having a bigger impact than the WR would be. None of the remaining WRs really jump off the page to me. Lots of similar guys. The guys available in rounds 3-4 are more like 2nd round guys in a normal draft.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather trade for a WR than take one in the 2nd right now. I'd be trying like all hell to trade up for JPJ, but even if that doesn't pan out, I think I'd rather go Milton or Frazier at 51. I'm fully convinced Frazier falls to 51 at this point.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just find it amusing that he was every yinzer’s crush after the senior bowl, only for him to not even be the first center selected in this years draft.

There was potential of that anyway. Barton isn't just a C. He can play 5 positions.

Get a center, the line would be pretty set for 5 years.

I am honestly at this point. Just go f***ing get one of them and be done with it. We don't have to speak about it for another 5-7 years.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
There was potential of that anyway. Barton isn't just a C. He can play 5 positions.

I am honestly at this point. Just go f***ing get one of them and be done with it. We don't have to speak about it for another 5-7 years.

Amen to this. If I don’t have to hear/read the word “trenches” around draft time I will be so happy. Although we’ll probably be talking about DL next year so I may have to wait another year.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Agreed on DeJean. Love him. Surprised he fell out of round 1. Don't count on him being available for more than a few picks if he isn't the 1st guy off the board here on day 2 .

People clamoring for a WR, should remember we have enough draft capital to trade a mid to late round pick for a guy like Courtland Sutton. He won't cost more than that given his age, and contract. But he's still a really good player and would give us a needed vet (and connection with Russ).

To me, you hammer the OL, the DB, and DL the rest of the way. The trenches need to be the main priority IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Agreed on DeJean. Love him. Surprised he fell out of round 1. Don't count on him being available for more than a few picks if he isn't the 1st guy off the board here on day 2 .

People clamoring for a WR, should remember we have enough draft capital to trade a mid to late round pick for a guy like Courtland Sutton. He won't cost more than that given his age, and contract. But he's still a really good player and would give us a needed vet (and connection with Russ).

To me, you hammer the OL, the DB, and DL the rest of the way. The trenches need to be the main priority IMO.

Yeah this is exactly where I'm at. Trade their 4th this year for Sutton and maybe use their later 3rd on a WR, but I don't think they should be doing more than that with the WR group.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Amen to this. If I don’t have to hear/read the word “trenches” around draft time I will be so happy. Although we’ll probably be talking about DL next year so I may have to wait another year.

Trench building is eternal. Next year DL. Year after starting to worry about Guard as it's unlikely value for money from Seumalo/Daniels extends that long and honestly probably still DL. Year after that, maybe looking at a developmental Tackle as insurance for Jones' next contract. And on and on.

We are where we are because the team didn't treat it that way and a bunch of surprises caught them at the wrong moment.

But it'd be lovely for the team to be able to address this from a position of strength.

And it'd be lovely for a team that wants to be a big bad run first team to be actually able to do it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Why not both?

I would wait about ten picks and see if both are there. If so, I look to making a trade to get another second round pick and take both. If the asking cost is too high, stay where you are and take what comes and use your thirds.

I disagree. People are missing that they may already have their C with Spencer. They love him. The reason they wouldn't telegraph this before the draft is obvious.

I still think they make a huge splash trade today. ..........can't wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad