OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
They are getting love for this pick but really all they did was sit there and draft the guy who fell to them that pretty much any fan with the internet would have taken.
Pretty much, probably a number of these late round picks as long as they don't reach are gonna get solid grades, simply because of the 6 qbs who went early pushing all the talent down the boards.

Reactions: MrBrightside

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Moore starts initially but it doesn't take as long for Fautanu to start as it took for Jones. I'd expect maybe 4 or 5 games with Moore at most before their tackles are Jones and Fautanu.

The easy way of handling Fautanu and Jones should be whoever is more comfortable on the right side goes there - assuming they're both tackles. Which isn't guaranteed. But the comfort level should be the prime factor.

I think the main arguments I'd make are:

1. Fautanu is a mediocre run blocker while Jones is a great run blocker, which may suggest that Jones fits better on RT and Fautanu fits better on LT.
2. Fautanu has never played the blind side tackle position for a QB, which may suggest that Jones fits better on LT and Fautanu fits better on RT.

Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Both of these guys are athletic freaks and should still be amazing tackles even if it's not their 'ideal" side.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah I'm not overthinking the LT/RT discussion, their performance in camp will sort that out. I like that Fautanu has position flexibility though. We got really lucky to suffer no injuries at that position group last year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One comment I'd make: I think the fact that the Steelers have invested 2 1sts in their tackles and 2 $25+ million contracts for their guards suggests they they don't need to invest another high pick in a center.

I wouldn't go below a 3rd rounder for a center, but I don't know that you necessarily have to take a C in round 2. Get Van Pran in round 3 and I'm not really complaining much I think. If they don't trade for a WR, I'm leaning towards taking a WR in round 2 right now.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
We got really spoiled having the first pick in the second last year. Watching a bunch of good players come off the board tomorrow is gonna be painful.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Eagles and Lions got great value with their 1sts with how the CBs fell. That Lions team is going to be fun if Goff can continue being what he has been in the past 2 years for them.

I think Barton goes in the 1st, but I'm thinking JPJ falls out of the 1st at this point. The Cowboys (who have a huge need at C) are trading down, I figure the Cs will go much later than expected.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Let’s find a dancing partner and get Barton. Landing one of these centers would make this draft a huge success regardless of the rest of the picks. They could spray and pray at WR.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the main arguments I'd make are:

1. Fautanu is a mediocre run blocker while Jones is a great run blocker, which may suggest that Jones fits better on RT and Fautanu fits better on LT.
2. Fautanu has never played the blind side tackle position for a QB, which may suggest that Jones fits better on LT and Fautanu fits better on RT.

Honestly, I don't think you can really go wrong either way. Both of these guys are athletic freaks and should still be amazing tackles even if it's not their 'ideal" side.

Shouldn't be that big an issue to go from not guarding the blindside to guarding the blindside as long as he's still making the same movements, right? Or maybe I'm missing something.

For me, if TJ Watt can have a definite preference on it just being easier to play one side, I'm willing to believe it can be a matter for everyone. I have no damn idea what is the case for either of those guys - little suspicion about Jones struggling at the end of the year but who knows - but that's where my mind is at.

I do think the way this league is going, I'm not too fussed where the best run blocker is. They'll run plenty either way. I do think having the best pass blocker on the blindside makes sense... but then long term, that could be Jones anyway. A guy with this speed/height/reach is ideal for that and him not being fully polished there doesn't mean he won't get there given his age/experience.

But we'll see.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We got really spoiled having the first pick in the second last year. Watching a bunch of good players come off the board tomorrow is gonna be painful.

Isn't that just normal? You got spoiled real fast :laugh:

I think I'll get twitchy around the 40s, which is also where I think it's reasonable to talk about a move up. It's also where, going by a lot of mocks, where maybe you should expect Frazier to go...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad