OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1714098890511.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Troy Fautanu has established himself as a premier pass protector, showcasing exceptional footwork, agility, and the ability to neutralize advanced pass rush techniques. His ability to maintain pocket integrity is a standout trait His technique in pass sets, especially his hand usage and ability to redirect rushers, reflects a high football IQ and adaptability on the line.

However, transitioning to the run game, Fautanu's tape shows areas for growth. While he possesses the requisite burst and mobility for effective run blocking, his execution lacks consistency. To elevate his game, focusing on refining his pad level, drive, and hand placement will be crucial. Developing a more consistent anchor and enhancing his ability to generate push at the line of scrimmage will round out his skill set, making him a more complete lineman.

From a draft perspective, Fautanu's quality in pass protection positions him favorably, with the potential for an early selection. His skill set offers immediate value, particularly for teams emphasizing pass-heavy offenses. If he can bridge the gap between his pass-protection excellence and run-blocking potential, Fautanu could evolve into a complete lineman,

Given the demand for solid pass-protecting tackles in the NFL he probably won't last past day one.

With this write-up, I 100% think Fautanu should be their LT and Jones should move to RT. Jones is a great run blocker and should use his athleticism more there.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

With this write-up, I 100% think Fautanu should be their LT and Jones should move to RT. Jones is a great run blocker and should use his athleticism more there.
He better start day 1. He's almost Moores age

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So he’s gotta start day 1 given his age right?

No, Moore probably starts at first and Fautanu eventually takes over at LT.

This move is more significant because I think it firmly pushes Jones to RT. I think Fautanu fits what you want in a LT more than Jones does.

Actually a going point regarding Fautanu: while he was playing LT for Washington, it should also be noted that Penix was a lefty QB for Washington as well. He wasn't playing the blindside for Penix, so I think that could suggest he'd move to RT for a righty QB.

With that being said, he seems to be a much better pass blocker than run blocker, so I can see why they'd want to keep him at LT regardless. Purely based on skillsets, I think he fits better as a pass protector on LT.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
@mrjiggyfly I am surprised Mims got taken, but I’m happy with this pick, you?

Center Day 2. Would love to snag Barton or JPJ

Ya I suspect Mims was their guy, but I’m happy with the pick.

Basically said their first two picks have to be O-line earlier.

My only concern is what position do they view as a fit for Fautanu? LT? Guard? Center?

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The easy way of handling Fautanu and Jones should be whoever is more comfortable on the right side goes there - assuming they're both tackles. Which isn't guaranteed. But the comfort level should be the prime factor.

That's a seriously fast pair of tackles though.

Also, if Fautanu isn't an excuse to boot Moore out of a starter's role, then Tomlin's conservatism has got stupid out of hand. I know avoiding the rookie wall is cool, but that dude should be just straight up better from day one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Quinyon Mitchell's forehead lines are almost worse than mine and I'm about 15 years older than him.

He also looks like the sort of guys who's going to be talking the motivation of getting picked so late in 15 years time. Like there's teachers who hate children who smile more than him.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Oh look - another Nittany Lion taken in the first round. Shocker.

When will a Pitt guy be taken? Guessing never 🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad