OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Since the Harris pick, it’s been pretty easy to guess who the Steelers are targeting in the first round, and it looks like Mims is their guy this year.

I’m most confident they take a center with one of their first two picks though.

They have the two most sacked QBs in the league on their roster, no legit C, and one of the worst starting LTs in the league… so not targeting the o-line would be surprising as hell.
One of their first two picks will be O line but, unless they trade for a WR, I don’t think they’re going to get a WR out of this draft who can start on the outside opposite Pickens unless they take one in the first two rounds…taking O line with the first two picks would be a waste

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
One of their first two picks will be O line but, unless they trade for a WR, I don’t think they’re going to get a WR out of this draft who can start on the outside opposite Pickens unless they take one in the first two rounds…taking O line with the first two picks would be a waste

It always goes without saying “we’ll see how the draft falls”.

Have to see what value is there, but I wouldn’t be upset with a WR in either round 1 or 2 if there is a big talent there.

Just don’t do a Troy Edwards type reach, which is about the last time I remember being pissed about their 1st rounder. I’m

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Final prediction? I’m going Barton
I honestly feel like I've no clue what they're doing if Mims and Barton are both available when they pick.

I don't think he or anyone is suggesting that they sell off players, but the Steelers haven't drafted well or done a good job identifying and developing talent in recent years. They have 3 players they drafted before 2021. They aren't a step away from being a contender, they need to have a few more drafts like 2023 to have a chance. But signing a 36 year old QB who has been in steady decline for the past 5 years isn't a good start.

This.

I'm not saying I've never advocated for selling off players on this forum but I wasn't there.

There's sense in the Steelers deciding they want to be a strong team while adding players. It complicates getting a QB, but good teams generally do better in developing players so I can buy it being better.

What I don't get is saying "and I'm okay with the Steelers overpaying to keep getting better" because, as said, they're not a step away and every overpay makes it that little bit harder to take all the steps. A modest overpay on Sutton isn't the end of the world but it still feels worth pointing at.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agreed. Wouldn’t be my first choice but I think they’ll go Barton.
Dulac says Barton for what it’s worth and has someone inside the organization hyping him as a “generational” player lol…that’s either a huge smokescreen for Dulac or jives with what other mockers are saying

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So this mock has Mitchell (CB) there along with Barton at #20…imo Steelers should take Mitchell and would be stupid taking Barton over him…chance to be a special player…don’t think you need the next great center in round one and would rather give that 5th year option to a higher paid player

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't think he or anyone is suggesting that they sell off players, but the Steelers haven't drafted well or done a good job identifying and developing talent in recent years. They have 3 players they drafted before 2021. They aren't a step away from being a contender, they need to have a few more drafts like 2023 to have a chance. But signing a 36 year old QB who has been in steady decline for the past 5 years isn't a good start.
You’re saying signing Russ at the vet minimum was a bad move? Why? What would’ve been a better alternative?

Of all of the things to criticize, the Russ signing shouldn’t be one of them. It kind of discredits your entire opinion.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not that mock drafts really mean anything, but pretty much every mock draft today has the Steelers taking Barton. I'm still sticking with that as my prediction for their 1st rounder.

Barton at 20, Melton at 51, Fisher at 84 and a WR at 98 is my bet at this point.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not that mock drafts really mean anything, but pretty much every mock draft today has the Steelers taking Barton. I'm still sticking with that as my prediction for their 1st rounder.

Barton at 20, Melton at 51, Fisher at 84 and a WR at 98 is my bet at this point.
If they’re waiting until 98 to pick a WR, then I guess they’re not planning to have a good passing game this season, which goes against their stated position of trying to win a PO game…they will have to make a trade for someone who can be a starting outside WR

Also if they really want Barton, why not trade down a few spots and maybe pick up an extra second or third? He’ll still be there

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they’re waiting until 98 to pick a WR, then I guess they’re not planning to have a good passing game this season, which goes against their stated position of trying to win a PO game…they will have to make a trade for someone who can be a starting outside WR

I am expecting they will trade for a WR at some point. That's why I think WR won't be a huge priority for this team at the draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You’re saying signing Russ at the vet minimum was a bad move? Why? What would’ve been a better alternative?

Of all of the things to criticize, the Russ signing shouldn’t be one of them. It kind of discredits your entire opinion.

Least bad move is still a bad move.

I'm not going to rate Khan poorly for doing it as there were no good options there but at the same time, that doesn't make it a good move for the Steelers either. It's not a move that puts them back in business.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Least bad move is still a bad move.

I'm not going to rate Khan poorly for doing it as there were no good options there but at the same time, that doesn't make it a good move for the Steelers either. It's not a move that puts them back in business.
I disagree. Even the shittiest of bridge QBs run you about $10 mil. Russ is free and we have another guy to go to in Fields in case Russ fails. They did a great job addressing QB considering the assets they had available.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I disagree. Even the shittiest of bridge QBs run you about $10 mil. Russ is free and we have another guy to go to in Fields in case Russ fails. They did a great job addressing QB considering the assets they had available.
Yeah, unless they were spending 40M on Cousins, who wasn't coming here over Atlanta anyway, I'd like those railing against Wilson/Fields to identify the better option this offseason that was available.

Reactions: T1K

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Well their team isn't good enough to win the super bowl this year, so I guess I just don't see the point? It's at almost no cost, which is good, but the opportunity cost is greater, the Steelers are no closer to determining who should start at QB for them if/when they have a contending roster. And if it's Wilson that is very worrisome.

Are you not concerned that two teams are happy to have gotten rid of him in the last 3 years? Or better yet, have you watched him play recently?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Saying the team did a great job of addressing QB because the options are cheap is like saying a fridge repair guy did a great job of fixing the fridge because they went "sorry, that's f***ed, can't do anything, but I wouldn't charge you for the call out". Sure it beats someone who tries to fix it expensively and fails, but there's still no fridge. It wasn't fixed.

And there's still no QB who gives the Steelers a win now window.

All the Steelers did this year, at best, was postpone doing a fix until they have a stronger offence and installed cheap make-dos to get by for a while. The fix still needs to be done.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Saying the team did a great job of addressing QB because the options are cheap is like saying a fridge repair guy did a great job of fixing the fridge because they went "sorry, that's f***ed, can't do anything, but I wouldn't charge you for the call out". Sure it beats someone who tries to fix it expensively and fails, but there's still no fridge. It wasn't fixed.

All the Steelers did this year, at best, was postpone doing a fix until they have a stronger offence and installed cheap make-dos to get by for a while. The fix still needs to be done.
Again, how do you propose they do that? Other than tanking, which you just adamantly denied you want them to do, how is it they get that QB? What was the better option? I know you were a Pickett fanboy, but hopefully that's not really your proposal.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Yeah…I mean I think Khan did about as well as he could given the options out there. And cheap and bad is better than expensive and bad, but unless Russ turns back the clock or Fields suddenly becomes a good quarterback, we’re probably back on the QB hunt next year.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Again, how do you propose they do that? Other than tanking, which you just adamantly denied you want them to do, how is it they get that QB? What was the better option? I know you were a Pickett fanboy, but hopefully that's not really your proposal.

Same way a team solves not having a franchise QB 80-90% of the time. Go back to the draft, don't make a hash of it this time.

If people want to say it makes sense to hit pause on that due to having a weak offence, and to rebuild that offence with cheap placeholders and then look for a QB to place in it, I'll say that sounds perfectly reasonable.

But that does mean this team isn't a win now team and it does mean there isn't a fix.

Yeah…I mean I think Khan did about as well as he could given the options out there. And cheap and bad is better than expensive and bad, but unless Russ turns back the clock or Fields suddenly becomes a good quarterback, we’re probably back on the QB hunt next year.

This. A hundred times this.

I'd also add my biggest worry is they like Wilson/Fields as more than stopgaps and will want to give multiple years to them at the slightest encouraging sign, and that the team isn't back on the QB hunt next year but instead getting comfortable in the Also Rans territory.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's still confusing to me that Steelers fans here say Wilson's 66.4% completion%, 26-8 TD-INT ratio and 98 passer rating from last year is somehow a "bad QB".

Would I say Wilson is an amazing QB? Absolutely not, but he's also not a bad QB either. He's mostly middle of the pack statistically last year, all of his stats fall mostly in the 10-20 range:

-Completion%: 12th
-TD: 9th
-TD%: 3rd
-INT%: 10th
-Yards/game: 20th
-Passer rating: 8th
-QBR: 22nd

What makes Wilson a bad QB, exactly? I'd buy mediocre, but statistically he's not much worse than mid-30s Ben.

Reactions: T1K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad