OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thomas would likely be my 2nd choice for who to draft at #20, after Mims. I'm still expecting their pick to be Mims as of right now, but without him immediately starting.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They'll likely go OT or C in RD1 then WR in RD2. Mims seems pretty likely though unless one of the other tackles falls.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'll likely go OT or C in RD1 then WR in RD2. Mims seems pretty likely though unless one of the other tackles falls.

Yeah I'm really hoping they get Mims in round 1 and Pearsall in round 2. They hosted both of those guys as well, so they both seem like realistic targets.

I'd just be a bit concerned with how they address the C position if they're using the 1st and 2nd on a RT and WR. They can probably get Van Pran with their earlier 3rd, but I don't think he's a Day 1 starter from what I've read. Although the scouting report I'm reading here says that he would be that:

Overall, Sedrick Van Pran presents a compelling case for teams in search of a day-one starter at the center position. His combination of power, intelligence, and versatility makes him a strong candidate for a solid pro career.

Taking Van Pran is a bit funny to me, especially if they take Mims in round 1. Jones at LT, Van Pran at C and Mims at RT is basically just recreating the Bulldogs OL :laugh:

My hope for the draft right now is:

#20: Mims (RT)
#51: Pearsall (WR)
#84: Van Pran (C)
#98: Carson (CB)

Last edited:

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I realize the draft is not the only or even last way to address roster-building, but the only position that is in worse shape than WR is C.

It’s not anything we haven’t already talked about but I think tackle absolutely belongs in the same tier as WR and C. I guess Dan Moore is at least a warm body but he’s also a known liability that’s going to block your last first rounder from moving to his natural position.

I think you can scrounge up an adequate immediate starter at center in the middle rounds but I don’t necessarily think that’s the case at tackle. Another option would be to sign Connor Williams and have a rookie hold down the fort for a couple weeks until Williams gets healthy.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I'm really hoping they get Mims in round 1 and Pearsall in round 2. They hosted both of those guys as well, so they both seem like realistic targets.

I'd just be a bit concerned with how they address the C position if they're using the 1st and 2nd on a RT and WR. They can probably get Van Pran with their earlier 3rd, but I don't think he's a Day 1 starter from what I've read. Although the scouting report I'm reading here says that he would be that:

Taking Van Pran is a bit funny to me, especially if they take Mims in round 1. Jones at LT, Van Pran at C and Mims at RT is basically just recreating the Bulldogs OL :laugh:

My hope for the draft right now is:

#20: Mims (RT)
#51: Pearsall (WR)
#84: Van Pran (C)
#98: Carson (CB)
I'd be thrilled with those picks! 1st THREE IN PARTICULAR. I like Corley also, be very pleased if he was at 51. Pearsall would be fantastic though.

Reactions: Ulf5

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we can't get an OT early Blake Fisher would be a good guy to get late in day two.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s not anything we haven’t already talked about but I think tackle absolutely belongs in the same tier as WR and C. I guess Dan Moore is at least a warm body but he’s also a known liability that’s going to block your last first rounder from moving to his natural position.

I think you can scrounge up an adequate immediate starter at center in the middle rounds but I don’t necessarily think that’s the case at tackle. Another option would be to sign Connor Williams and have a rookie hold down the fort for a couple weeks until Williams gets healthy.

At this point I think it's more likely Williams misses the whole season than only missing a couple of weeks.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At this point I think it's more likely Williams misses the whole season than only missing a couple of weeks.
I also like Roman Wilson. So Pearsall, Wilson and Corley would be good pick ups after round 1.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If we can't get an OT early Blake Fisher would be a good guy to get late in day two.

Funny enough. Every year, Steelers Depot performs an evaluation on like 150 draft players and as part of that evaluation they provide a player comparison to a player already in the league or a past player with similar traits.

Fisher’s player comparison is Dan Moore.

Now, Fisher is a RT. And he can play LT, so he does have more versatility.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Funny enough. Every year, Steelers Depot performs an evaluation on like 150 draft players and as part of that evaluation they provide a player comparison to a player already in the league or a past player with similar traits.

Fisher’s player comparison is Dan Moore.

Now, Fisher is a RT. And he can play LT, so he does have more versatility.
I like him, if we don't go OT early he'd be a decent fall back plan.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Beyond 1st round WR: Wilson, Pearsall, Corley CB: Melton, Phillips OT fisher, Amegadjie

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe I'm overthinking this but I don't see the point of mid-round Tackles. The odds of them becoming a starter you want to keep is very low. I don't think back-up swing tackles are that expensive in free agency.

I think the smart thing to do is take high floor high ceiling prospects early, take athletic inexperienced gems in the rough late on, and use mid-round picks on less-premium positions and positions where the rotation is more important. Ideally you never ever see your back-up tackle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe I'm overthinking this but I don't see the point of mid-round Tackles. The odds of them becoming a starter you want to keep is very low. I don't think back-up swing tackles are that expensive in free agency.

I think the smart thing to do is take high floor high ceiling prospects early, take athletic inexperienced gems in the rough late on, and use mid-round picks on less-premium positions and positions where the rotation is more important. Ideally you never ever see your back-up tackle.

Yeah I agree, I think it makes way more sense to wait out on a center and take a tackle high than take a center high and wait out on a tackle.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I realize the draft is not the only or even last way to address roster-building, but the only position that is in worse shape than WR is C.
I feel like me and you are willing to die on this hill. Everyone else...not so much.

Totally agreed. To me, the positions you draft in the mid-rounds are the ones that most would call "skilled."

The lower risk play is getting the 1st round T and the 3rd round WR. Not the other way around.

I think where many of us differ is how important C is. To me...this offense would be greatly aided by a high end C.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The thing about the importance of a center is it shouldn't be that big a deal to get a decent contributor in FA at a fair price, or in the later rounds of the draft. It's not that centers are nuffink, it's that centers are found in many places.

The part where the Steelers have made absolute wallies of themselves trying to do that doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible - even if it's possible that their choices mean they'd have to wait for next year for that sort of philosophy to come good.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I'd prefer we go tackle in RD1 but if they're off the board you gotta have a plan B. You certainly can't have a mentality that if you don't get one in RD1 you just don't get one. That's pretty reckless.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Inevitably incorrect prediction- they take Fuaga or Fashanu if they fall.

Barton or Mims if not.

Really hard to see it not being OL.

Also keep an eye on Stanford/Michigan C Drake Nugent late day 3. He’s a really good football player without the measurables.

Reactions: JTG and Goalie_Bob

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I am going Cb or OT at 20 hopefully they trade down. In a perfect world they trade down with Philly and then again with Dallas take a guy a 25 pick up a couple 3rd or 4thd in the process.
I think round 2 is the wr round and round 3 is the c and cb round
I believe Allen and Simmons will be signed after the draft

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd prefer we go tackle in RD1 but if they're off the board you gotta have a plan B. You certainly can't have a mentality that if you don't get one in RD1 you just don't get one. That's pretty reckless.

They already have a plan B in Moore and Jones. I don't like it but then, getting Fisher probably doesn't change the plan. He's maybe slightly better back-up than Cook and Anderson; maybe not. They are more experienced and physically developed after all.

And if we're talking the future, then that gives them time to go with other options not to mention I just don't want a long term plan of Fisher.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They already have a plan B in Moore and Jones. I don't like it but then, getting Fisher probably doesn't change the plan. He's maybe slightly better back-up than Cook and Anderson; maybe not. They are more experienced and physically developed after all.

And if we're talking the future, then that gives them time to go with other options not to mention I just don't want a long term plan of Fisher.
Why Fisher would replace Moore who walks in FA. He will have a solid career and can play both Lt and RT

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Inevitably incorrect prediction- they take Fuaga or Fashanu if they fall.

Barton or Mims if not.

Really hard to see it not being OL.

Also keep an eye on Stanford/Michigan C Drake Nugent late day 3. He’s a really good football player without the measurables.

I like Nugent. He reminds me of AQ Shipley.

Nugents size really scares me. He's not a Linderbaum in terms of technique and he's sub-300 pounds and only 6'2. That's a tough sell unless he's unbelievably talented.

Benefits of him - phenomenal 3 cone drill times, which I think is one of the most important metrics for a C, and he has long arms and big hands for being smaller.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Fisher reads a little like Chuks from some of the scouting reports I’ve seen on him. I think I’m in agreement with the mindset that if you don’t take a round 1 tackle, I wouldn’t mind just punting on the position.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad