OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I have a question, hopefully some of you draft guys can help assess the value. Hypothetical trade...

Seattle gets: 20OA and 98OA
PIT gets: 16OA and 118OA

Is that fair value? And depending on who's there would you do it? We also pick 119.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I have a question, hopefully some of you draft guys can help assess the value. Hypothetical trade...

Seattle gets: 20OA and 98OA
PIT gets: 16OA and 118OA

Is that fair value? And depending on who's there would you do it? We also pick 119.

20OA = 269 and 98OA = 37, which = 306

16OA = 305 and 118OA = 24, which = 329

In that Scenario, PIT would be trading 20+98 to move up to 16.

And I would not do it unless like for some strange reason Odunze slid that far. I think alot of the players between 10-20 are pretty even. I would sit tight.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As noted, its fair without the Steelers getting 118.

I'd consider doing it for Latham/Fuaga. I think there'll be a run on Tackles before the Steelers pick. I don't really want Mims if I can have the the other two.

But then, I just don't like trading up, so maybe I wouldn't.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
No, it is so the organization can meet the player. So for Thomas, it provides the opportunity for Rooney, Khan, Weidl, Tomlin, Smith and Azzanni at the very least to talk with the player and see what they are like from a personality perspective, do they understand concepts, what do they like to do outside of football, what do they want to do in the community and how do they answer those types of questions, eg...are they someone that will be a good investment for the team.

Plus if a player has question marks, it gives them a more intimate setting to ask about those issues.
That’s fair, but my push back would be that just because a player isn’t included in the top 30 visits doesn’t preclude the team from drafting them, they may just not have any questions about said player.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

And I would not do it unless like for some strange reason Odunze slid that far. I think alot of the players between 10-20 are pretty even. I would sit tight.
I don't want Odunze, I'd only move up for Fuaga or Mitchell, possibly Latham, although I'm not sure if Latham is much ahead of Mims, pretty sure we can get Mims at 20OA.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As noted, its fair without the Steelers getting 118.

I'd consider doing it for Latham/Fuaga. I think there'll be a run on Tackles before the Steelers pick. I don't really want Mims if I can have the the other two.

But then, I just don't like trading up, so maybe I wouldn't.
So we'd have to give up 20 and 98 and not get 118 back with 16? We moved up from 17 to 14 last year and it only cost us a 4th round.

Anyhow, yes I'd move up for Fuaga or Mitchell. Latham iffy about to move up for. Is he far ahead of Mims? I thought it was fairly close. But MIMS has a ton of upside relative to the rest of those guys. I just wouldn't move up for him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So we'd have to give up 20 and 98 and not get 118 back with 16? We moved up from 17 to 14 last year and it only cost us a 4th round.

Anyhow, yes I'd move up for Fuaga or Mitchell. Latham iffy about to move up for. Is he far ahead of Mims? I thought it was fairly close. But MIMS has a ton of upside relative to the rest of those guys. I just wouldn't move up for him.
That was more about New England targetting a player that they could get a few picks later and screwing the Jets in the process.

Two birds one stone and all that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Never say never but it's a lot closer to fair according to the Rich Hill trade chart, believed to be the most accurate. Last year's trade represented uncommonly good value.

And my understanding is that Latham is further ahead of Fuaga than Fuaga is of Mims.

And while Mims has a ton of upside... I dunno it's *that* much compared to these guys. Particularly not Latham. Latham is only 6 lbs lighter and an inch shorter. Didn't do combine testing but is meant to be silly powerful and he's got about 20 more games of experience despite being younger. Fuaga doesn't have their size but he's just as fast as Mims and more explosive. It's not like these guys aren't stupidly athletic to go with better better players with now. They have stupidly high potential too.

It's certainly not enough I'd take Mims ahead of them.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A week out here's my 1st round take.

Depending on cost I move up for Quinyon Mitchell and Fuaga depending on the cost. That'd be a grandslam!

At 20, Latham or Arnold would be awesome, Mims very solid, Dejean happy there also. Love his versatility but injuries a minor concern. Don't want Wiggins or Guyton at 20. hell no!

Regarding centers, JPJ with concussion history not taking him at 20, Barton if I trade down.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Never say never but it's a lot closer to fair according to the Rich Hill trade chart, believed to be the most accurate. Last year's trade represented uncommonly good value.

And my understanding is that Latham is further ahead of Fuaga than Fuaga is of Mims.

And while Mims has a ton of upside... I dunno it's *that* much compared to these guys. Particularly not Latham. Latham is only 6 lbs lighter and an inch shorter. Didn't do combine testing but is meant to be silly powerful and he's got about 20 more games of experience despite being younger. Fuaga doesn't have their size but he's just as fast as Mims and more explosive. It's not like these guys aren't stupidly athletic to go with better better players with now. They have stupidly high potential too.

It's certainly not enough I'd take Mims ahead of them.
I wouldn't take Mims over either, I'm just saying I'd be good with Mims at 20 if the other two are gone.

You have Latham ahead of Fuaga? To be clear I'd be thrilled with either but I have Fuaga just ahead of Latham.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't take Mims over either, I'm just saying I'd be good with Mims at 20 if the other two are gone.

You have Latham ahead of Fuaga? To be clear I'd be thrilled with either but I have Fuaga just ahead of Latham.

I haven't really dug and am just parroting others' opinions but Latham being ahead is what I read. Which makes sense looking at the athletic profiles.

I'd take Mims at 20 though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I haven't really dug and am just parroting others' opinions but Latham being ahead is what I read. Which makes sense looking at the athletic profiles.

I'd take Mims at 20 though.
Mims seems like the most likely pick at 20. And I would be thrilled with the pick. Having both ends of your line firmly anchored for the next decade plus is very attractive.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The size of our offensive line and TE duo would have to be the biggest in the league if we landed Mims, right?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Mims seems like the most likely pick at 20. And I would be thrilled with the pick. Having both ends of your line firmly anchored for the next decade plus is very attractive.

I'm not sure I trust him to develop into that. Potential is there but you never know. Hell, I'm not sure I trust Jones to do it either. So I won't be thrilled. But I'll be happy enough.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not sure I trust him to develop into that. Potential is there but you never know. Hell, I'm not sure I trust Jones to do it either. So I won't be thrilled. But I'll be happy enough.
It is a gamble given how raw and undeveloped Mims is. A lot like Jones. However, had they had more experience and did well both would have been top ten picks.

So, yes. I agree. A gamble. But a very worthwhile gamble.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I think getting in the top 15, we are almost guaranteed a slider. Now whether we need/want that slider or not is another question entirely.

That is the one thing with Mims. I think with T, size matters a lot. It could make up for some deficiencies like we saw with Jones, the T the Browns drafted out of OSU. He had warts like Mims - bigger ones, in fact. He started day 1. He wasn't perfect, but he was serviceable, just like Jones.

Mims is a rare specimen

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think getting in the top 15, we are almost guaranteed a slider. Now whether we need/want that slider or not is another question entirely.

That is the one thing with Mims. I think with T, size matters a lot. It could make up for some deficiencies like we saw with Jones, the T the Browns drafted out of OSU. He had warts like Mims - bigger ones, in fact. He started day 1. He wasn't perfect, but he was serviceable, just like Jones.

Mims is a rare specimen
Technically, Dawand Jones was a starter beginning in week 2, after Jack Conklin got hurt. So he wasn’t slated to start. That said, he did start and availed himself well until he got hurt.

He was also a 4th rounder. I’d feel a lot better about a potential project tackle there than 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTG and Goalie_Bob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbf, the only reason Dawand Jones lasted to the 4th round was serious questions about his personality and desire. Athletic talent and technical ability, dude was a straight up last first rounder/early second rounder.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Tbf, the only reason Dawand Jones lasted to the 4th round was serious questions about his personality and desire. Athletic talent and technical ability, dude was a straight up last first rounder/early second rounder.
When Dawand Jones went where he did I thought that was an absolute steal! I think Mims though has less character issues and higher upside.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad