OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He has sub 33 inch arms. That’s going to eliminate him as a tackle option for most teams. We saw the same thing last year for Skoronski — Titans desperately need a tackle and they don’t even seem to be considering trying him there.

Yeah, it may. I think that's nonsense though. His arms are 32 7/8. I find Fashanu's hand size to be way more concerning than Barton's arms. He has Kenny hands. I thought it was a misprint.

I think they may be looking at that McCormick kid from SDSU as a possible C. Insane measurables at the combine, 34 inch arms, 10 inch hands, played 4 years and never missed a game. Intangibles out the ying-yang. They brought him in for a visit.

There are some really high end project linemen in this draft. Some will probably play right away because of their measurables but they should sit a year.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, it may. I think that's nonsense though. His arms are 32 7/8. I find Fashanu's hand size to be way more concerning than Barton's arms. He has Kenny hands. I thought it was a misprint.

I think they may be looking at that McCormick kid from SDSU as a possible C. Insane measurables at the combine, 34 inch arms, 10 inch hands, played 4 years and never missed a game. Intangibles out the ying-yang. They brought him in for a visit.

There are some really high end project linemen in this draft. Some will probably play right away because of their measurables but they should sit a year.

Guys like mccormick and nourzad are the reason C is just not a 1st round prioroty for me. Unless they thjnk barton/jpj/frazier is somethinng special

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Guys like mccormick and nourzad are the reason C is just not a 1st round prioroty for me. Unless they thjnk barton/jpj/frazier is somethinng special
After more research I'd go Tackle IF anyone of the top tackles are available except Guyton, not real high on him at 20OA.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
After more research I'd go Tackle IF anyone of the top tackles are available except Guyton, not real high on him at 20OA.

Yeah, 20th OA for guys like Mims and Guyton is tough because they need work. That being said, if they didn't need work they sure as hell wouldn't be around until 20.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah, 20th OA for guys like Mims and Guyton is tough because they need work. That being said, if they didn't need work they sure as hell wouldn't be around until 20.
From what i gather thats very true aboit guyton but everything ive read on mims says hes not that raw, hes just inexperienced (not enough tape) and had an injury.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I prefer Mims to Guyton. I'd be good with Mims. I think he has more upside and like the fact he's coming from UG.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I prefer Mims to Guyton. I'd be good with Mims. I think he has more upside and like the fact he's coming from UG.

i just think Mims is a guy that you have to take because of his size. Jones and Mims bookending...my God. I don't even want to think about it.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
i just think Mims is a guy that you have to take because of his size. Jones and Mims bookending...my God. I don't even want to think about it.
In theory we'd be set for a decade.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The Steelers really don't seem that interested in those guys though. McCormick is the first guy to come in for a visit. I don't get why, but that's what it seems to be.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Steelers really don't seem that interested in those guys though. McCormick is the first guy to come in for a visit. I don't get why, but that's what it seems to be.
JPJ came in, as did Barton.

If we're not trading for a WR, Corley is who I'd want on day two.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
JPJ came in, as did Barton.

If we're not trading for a WR, Corley is who I'd want on day two.

I'm talking about the McCormick/Nourzad/Limmer second wave of guys.

The Steelers are all over the top 3 centers but pretty quiet about an interest in everyone else at the position.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm talking about the McCormick/Nourzad/Limmer second wave of guys.

The Steelers are all over the top 3 centers but pretty quiet about an interest in everyone else at the position.

They met with Limmer/Bortolini and some others at the Senior bowl. I think they learned a lot about the 3-7th round guys at that event. Khan and Tomlin really took advantage of the access.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They met with Limmer/Bortolini and some others at the Senior bowl. I think they learned a lot about the 3-7th round guys at that event. Khan and Tomlin really took advantage of the access.

They met them at the Senior Bowl but they usually find ways to meet again with a lot of their late round guys, particularly if they're interested in getting at least someone. Pro Days and visits. I don't think Meyer's been near any of them, only McCormick has had a visit.

Might be they saw enough but if they don't draft a C at all and go to FA after the draft, I don't think it'd be surprising.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

There’s a visit for Nourzad. So it does seem like they’re doing some homework on the mid round guys.

Clayton is intriguing. Been watching a series on the NFL UK youtube channel about this years IPP class. Obviously not expecting much from an IPP guy, but those measurables will play. Probably needs at least a year to put on the proper weight and continue to learn the game.

From that class we already saw Rees-Zammit sign with the Chiefs as he wasn't draft eligible.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Clayton is intriguing. Been watching a series on the NFL UK youtube channel about this years IPP class. Obviously not expecting much from an IPP guy, but those measurables will play. Probably needs at least a year to put on the proper weight and continue to learn the game.

From that class we already saw Rees-Zammit sign with the Chiefs as he wasn't draft eligible.

That’s how the Eagles ended up with Mailata so I’d be all for adding a freak athlete at OT late in the draft or as a UDFA. From what I’ve read, the draft falls off hard after the 4th round or so and you’re basically in UDFA territory late in the draft anyway.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think McCormick is really interesting. He showed really high end physical ability at the combine and he has great measurables. As a coach, you want a guy like him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That’s how the Eagles ended up with Mailata so I’d be all for adding a freak athlete at OT late in the draft or as a UDFA. From what I’ve read, the draft falls off hard after the 4th round or so and you’re basically in UDFA territory late in the draft anyway.

Yeah, ditto. I'm generally not a fan of taking Tackles late as it seems to rarely work but this sort of case - high end athlete going late because they're super raw - is the exception I'd make.

How hard can it be to learn to play Line anyway? I know it's not quite go forwards and kill, but it's the next best thing...

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Yeah they implemented a new rule this year too. You get a training camp roster exemption for the guy and now a 17th practice squad slot if he's IPP eligible. Literally cannot hurt to sign (or even draft) one of these guys.

Yeah, ditto. I'm generally not a fan of taking Tackles late as it seems to rarely work but this sort of case - high end athlete going late because they're super raw - is the exception I'd make.

How hard can it be to learn to play Line anyway? I know it's not quite go forwards and kill, but it's the next best thing...
They talk about it a lot in the series on youtube, but the USA doesn't have a monopoly on freaks of nature. A lot of these guys would've been top college prospects if they were simply born here instead of Europe or Africa. Link to the videos if you want to check it out, Clayton was one of the guys they featured a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad