OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 43ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought Jarvis played very well against New England. He was rather quiet today but he's a guy you should probably temper expectations with at this point. He's likely to be more of a solid role player than a star.

Shazier is a different story. He is a superstar. Any idiot could see it coming even last year because of his freakish talent. All the idiot Yinzers I know that were *****ing we didn't draft CJ Mosley suddenly got real quiet. Reminded me of how Bell quieted them last year after all they did was ***** we didn't take Eddie Lacy the year before. Patience. Sometimes it takes a year. It did with Bell, Shazier and even going back to Polamalu.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I thought Jarvis played very well against New England. He was rather quiet today but he's a guy you should probably temper expectations with at this point. He's likely to be more of a solid role player than a star.

Shazier is a different story. He is a superstar. Any idiot could see it coming even last year because of his freakish talent. All the idiot Yinzers I know that were *****ing we didn't draft CJ Mosley suddenly got real quiet. Reminded me of how Bell quieted them last year after all they did was ***** we didn't take Eddie Lacy the year before. Patience. Sometimes it takes a year. It did with Bell, Shazier and even going back to Polamalu.

Shazier has that young Polamalu look about him. Just so explosive and so exciting to watch. Tuitt is also fantastic. We have a great front 7. Jones is the weak link there, I think, which is incredibly unfortunate.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'll gladly eat crow with Shazier, though every criticism I had of him wasn't actually about him. His athleticism is just unfair at that position. Runs like a running back; hits like a linebacker.

I don't really remember many Steeler fans talking about Eddie Lacy, more of the national media, but I don't listen to Pittsburgh sports radio so I can see those morons *****ing about it. I thought Bell was one of the more quickly beloved draft picks we've ever had.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I'll also add, the problem with Jones isn't technical, or disposition - I just don't think he has the God given ability to do what he has to do. He's not a fast twitch athlete. He doesn't possess those tree trunk legs that you look for on your OLB's. I just don't think there is much he can do to really better himself. I'll give him more time, but I think he's a spot starter.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
College coaches still don't completely understand how good they have it. If you're a good one, you're making as much as a professional coach, with half the headaches.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Shazier has that young Polamalu look about him. Just so explosive and so exciting to watch. Tuitt is also fantastic. We have a great front 7. Jones is the weak link there, I think, which is incredibly unfortunate.

Steelers secondary is my only concern, but it's probably the Achilles heel that will ultimately do them in. The Steelers develop corners like the Pens develop fwds.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt

Slow down. Shazier has accomplished literally nothing until today. Last season and last week combined he's been either injured or invisible. Yes today he was unbelievable... but it's only one game. CJ Mosely was a pro bowler as a rookie. Shazier had 1 good game. I don't see the comparison.

Dupree having 2 sacks in 2 games is encouraging.

JJ is going to go down with Ziggy Hood as the only 1st round bust since 2000. 3 if you go back to 1997. (JJ, Hood, Troy Edwards). Unbelievable 1st round draft record.

Today's defense was pretty damn awesome with the exception of a few wide open receivers. IMO anytime this D allows less than 20 points it's a big accomplishment.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
Slow down. Shazier has accomplished literally nothing until today. Last season and last week combined he's been either injured or invisible. Yes today he was unbelievable... but it's only one game. CJ Mosely was a pro bowler as a rookie. Shazier had 1 good game. I don't see the comparison.

JJ is going to go down with Ziggy Hood as the only 1st round bust since 2000. 3 if you go back to 1997. (JJ, Hood, Troy Edwards). Unbelievable 1st round draft record.

Today's defense was pretty damn awesome with the exception of a few wide open receivers. IMO anytime this D allows less than 20 points it's a big accomplishment.

Our front 7 is doing what it's supposed to. The secondary should get better as time goes on. and the ravens lost :) awesome day

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

It isn't just one good game. Shazier was great last week and all preseason too. Far from invisible. His only time being invisible was as a rookie which is to be expected in a Dick LeBeau defense.

Hood and Jarvis are not busts either. Maybe they aren't everything they were drafted to be but a bust is a Limas Sweed type that can't play a down at the NFL level. Hood and Jarvis will have long careers as depth guys in a worst case scenario. Best case scenario is Jarvis improves a bit as the season goes but I'm not holding my breath for him to make any huge improvements.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JJ isn't being done any favors splitting reps with Debo. JJ was having a good game last week and Debo ended up with 38 snaps to JJs 22. No idea what that was about.

I've at least noticed JJ, but Deebo has been a ghost so far.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
JJ isn't being done any favors splitting reps with Debo. JJ was having a good game last week and Debo ended up with 38 snaps to JJs 22. No idea what that was about.

I've at least noticed JJ, but Deebo has been a ghost so far.

Tomlin loves his veteran players.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
All coaches love their veteran players. I'm fairly indifferent to how much Jarvis plays vs. how much Harrison plays. Both had quiet days against San Fran but it was predictable since they both work the side that went against All Pro tackle Joe Staley.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
All coaches love their veteran players. I'm fairly indifferent to how much Jarvis plays vs. how much Harrison plays. Both had quiet days against San Fran but it was predictable since they both work the side that went against All Pro tackle Joe Staley.

Deebo is on borrowed time as they say. They need to develop his replacement and they invested a first round pick in JJ. Just seems asinine to me that when JJ was flashing like he was last week, that an aging Deebo almost had twice as many snaps.

It can't be easy for a young guy to get into a rhythm playing every other series. I just feel it's important to see what they have in JJ, because we really have no clue yet.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Great game today. This offense is really starting to grow. One big key to future success against team with great pass rushes is the implementation of the screen pass. Haley has this team mastering this play, combine that with Bell and soon Bryant.. loot out!

The D looked better today and that's what I hope we see for the next 12 weeks, steady improvement.

Dupree looks like a freak athletically. I didn't know what to make of the pick but I see a ton of potential there.

Williams was huge pickup, very good backup for Bell.

Brown is becoming silly. The guy was held all day and they still couldn't cover him.

DHB finally looks like he becoming a competent WR. The Steelers might want to consider trading a WR to a team like the Panthers for a pick. Tomlin can spot WR talent which makes sense since he was a WR.

Ben is getting his deep ball back. His first 5 years, he was money with the long ball but for some reason he seemed to take a step back in this area. Now, he back to putting nice air and ark on the throw, look out when Bryant get back!

Mike Mitchell had his best game as a Steeler. If he can keep improving, this would be huge for the Steelers D. I believe in the modern NFL Safety positions are the most important positions for the D to be successful.

Need more Boykin!

Blake could be a safety. The guy hits like a truck.

Shazier is the real Deal. Huge game today.

Next week will be a test for the O. IF they can pick apart a very, very tough D apart at the Rams it would solidify them in the top 5 in the league.

Jarvis, still not sure if we have something there or not. Hopefully he can come on strong this season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Antonio has an outrageous season this year. Calvin Johnson 2012 type outrageous. He and Ben are on, he's uncoverable, and Ben's deep ball is on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma