OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 43ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
None of those options is at all appealing. Hopefully they'll find someone in the next month.

I remember the game last year Henery missed like three field goals, including an easy one in the last second. He was cut immediately afterward. Hard to imagine he's got his confidence back.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Hartley's last almost full season with a team had him kicking with just over 73% accuracy in the Superdome. This should be a treat.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah...Hartley is terrible. This isn't going to be fun.

Henery struggling so much really surprised me, he was the definition of automatic in college. Feely...I thought he retired about 5 years ago.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hartley actually seems to do better outdoors on grass for whatever reason.

Anyway, You just never know with kickers. Suisham joined the Steelers at the same age Hartley is now and was only a 79% kicker before joining the Steelers and has been an 87.9% career kicker since joining the Steelers. Hartley is a 81.7% career kicker.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I hope they keep their eyes on kids being held back by established veteran kickers being cut from camps; to bring in competition if for nothing else; if he beats out GH, all the better. It would give them some options if Hartley struggles and/or gets hurt.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
You really do never know with kickers. My reaction to Suisham was far more negative.

I didn't like the Suisham signing in the least and yet it turned out to be a terrific move. Maybe Hartley can resurrect his career the same way.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
It will be nice to enjoy watching a Steeler pre-season game without listening to the annoying ramblings of Edmund Nelson.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
It will be nice to enjoy watching a Steeler pre-season game without listening to the annoying ramblings of Edmund Nelson.

On to his true life's work. Ribs.

tumblr_inline_ncinxklHzT1qak3ny.jpg

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Wow impressive opening drive!! This offense could be something to watch this year.

Martavis about to have a huge year.
it was too easy.....I was hoping they would keep the starters in for one more drive, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Honestly though, what do they see in him? What have they ever seen in him?

I think they just saw the arm talent. He has the arm talent to make every throw. Problem is he has nothing else. He seems to have no pocket awareness and an overall low football IQ, which is surprising to me because he seemed like such a smart kid coming out of college.

I think he's done a little better job of getting the ball out quicker this year but his internal clock was so broken that now it seems like he's afraid to do anything other than throw pointless dinky little passes for little yardage to make sure he gets the ball out on time. Consequently drives go nowhere and he's led the team to very few points in his preseason career.

The Landry Jones experiment should be about over at this point though. There has to be a more worthwhile developmental guy put on waivers at some point.

Shazier has looked really good.

Unfortunately it looks like Bud Dupree has a long way to go in his development. He's looked like a guy that's going to need a red shirt year and then hopefully come into his own in year two. I thought another young OLB, Howard Jones, did some good things.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've got no problems with Shazier thus far, he's going to be good. Dupree and Jarvis.. we'll see. Jarvis just isn't the player we want and Dupree looks too big out there or something, not athletic enough like Shazier. Not writing him off or anything yet, of course.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Three straight number 1's with LB's and I don't think the Steelers will get 10 sacks out of all 3 combined this season. That's is pathetic and might be the biggest detriment to the season. They could have took Ray or Gregory instead of Dupree.

I also wonder if they should try Shazier at ROLB. I know he would be a little light, but I also remember what Chad Brown did when they tried there in 96. It would also get Vince Williams on the field and allow your to end the JJ experience.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think JJ will be a double digit sack guy, but I think he can give your defense 10-12 splash plays (sacks, ff, fr) a season. He has a nose for the ball and always seems to be around it. Last night he almost tomahawked the ball out of the RB hand and the guy just got his other hand down in time.

JJ had two sacks and a ff in two games last season, so it's not a stretch to think he could give them a dozen splash plays a season. Lloyd was never a big numbers sack guy (hit double digits only once), but he was an animal at forcing turnovers. That's maybe the kind of path JJ will need to follow to be effective in the NFL.

Dupree has show an incredible burst on a few plays, but he keeps getting taken upfield. He needs to learn how to counter and dip his shoulder. It's way too early to guess what his potential is yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad