OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Porter actually grades higher in zone coverage, which is why I like him. He can do both very well and has some balls skills. He’s also a sound tackler.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It makes me nervous chunks Colbert is still involved with the organization. I really hope no one asks his input on the draft.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It makes me nervous chunks Colbert is still involved with the organization. I really hope no one asks his input on the draft.

I don't know how involved he is though. I doubt he will have much input with prospects because he isn't doing the due diligence regarding them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’ll never get this animosity Steeler fans have towards Colbert…

He and Newsome were the best drafting GMs of the last 20 years and Colbert never had the benefit of top ten picks to build his roster.

He was responsible for building two SB winners and put some of the most talented rosters in the league on the field year after year.

He even left the org with what looks like a stellar class in his final draft.

Not his fault Tomlin did Tomlin things in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not sure a CB playing better in man coverage is an issue with Teryl Austin as DC. Pretty sure the Steelers played the 5th highest percentage of man coverage in the NFL last season. One of the reasons they liked and traded for William Jackson III was his fit in Austin's man coverage scheme. He just couldn't get healthy. It'll be interesting to see if they keep him around.

Porter seems like such a Steelers/Tomlin pick with the bloodlines etc. but I have my doubts they go CB in round one. I wouldn't be against it depending on who's there but it seems like Weidl really likes loading up at the line of scrimmage with the O-Line and D-line. I'm not expecting a flashy draft with lots of skill guys. I'm thinking it's going to be a lot of lineman early.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I’ll never get this animosity Steeler fans have towards Colbert…

He and Newsome were the best drafting GMs of the last 20 years and Colbert never had the benefit of top ten picks to build his roster.

He was responsible for building two SB winners and put some of the most talented rosters in the league on the field year after year.

He even left the org with what looks like a stellar class in his final draft.

Not his fault Tomlin did Tomlin things in the playoffs.

I don't either. I felt even poor picks by Colbert were at least justifiable at the time, albeit some were risky. I think the pick that he made that I really didn't like or understand and my thoughts turned out to be jusitifable was Artie Burns. Other than that, he hit on some guys that played huge roles for us in later rounds.

Because in this town the coach can't do any wrong so it HAS to be the GM.

Look at Pens now. Everyone except Sully is getting the Smear treatment.

Sully gets a ton of flak. I think right now for the Pens and Steelers both - coaches and GMs should be on the firing line. The city expects better. The thing that really irritates me right now is that every single team who has similar results around us this past season has fired their OC and here we are looking like a bunch of bozos. I guess I can buy that they want Kenny to have some continuity from season to season while he's getting accustomed to the NFL, but man this is going to be brutal.

Not sure a CB playing better in man coverage is an issue with Teryl Austin as DC. Pretty sure the Steelers played the 5th highest percentage of man coverage in the NFL last season. One of the reasons they liked and traded for William Jackson III was his fit in Austin's man coverage scheme. He just couldn't get healthy. It'll be interesting to see if they keep him around.

Porter seems like such a Steelers/Tomlin pick with the bloodlines etc. but I have my doubts they go CB in round one. I wouldn't be against it depending on who's there but it seems like Weidl really likes loading up at the line of scrimmage with the O-Line and D-line. I'm not expecting a flashy draft with lots of skill guys. I'm thinking it's going to be a lot of lineman early.

I agree completely. I think this draft is going to set the stage for the next 5 years. Hopefully Weidl can have some big hits this draft like Colbert did in 2002, which really set the wheels in motion for the success the team had going forward.

Reactions: Night Shift

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Because in this town the coach can't do any wrong so it HAS to be the GM.

Look at Pens now. Everyone except Sully is getting the Smear treatment.

Colbert didn't have the power to fire Tomlin, or I'm pretty confident he would have long ago.
I don't either. I felt even poor picks by Colbert were at least justifiable at the time, albeit some were risky. I think the pick that he made that I really didn't like or understand and my thoughts turned out to be jusitifable was Artie Burns. Other than that, he hit on some guys that played huge roles for us in later rounds.

Sully gets a ton of flak. I think right now for the Pens and Steelers both - coaches and GMs should be on the firing line. The city expects better. The thing that really irritates me right now is that every single team who has similar results around us this past season has fired their OC and here we are looking like a bunch of bozos. I guess I can buy that they want Kenny to have some continuity from season to season while he's getting accustomed to the NFL, but man this is going to be brutal.

I agree completely. I think this draft is going to set the stage for the next 5 years. Hopefully Weidl can have some big hits this draft like Colbert did in 2002, which really set the wheels in motion for the success the team had going forward.

I read awhile back Colbert drafted more pro bowlers in rounds 2-3 than any other GM over the last couple decades.

I can’t imagine a guy used to all that success his first decade in the league, had an easy time the second half of his Steeler career seeing the talented teams he put together get pissed away time and again.

He’s only 66, so I suspect he grew frustrated and decided to go year by year hoping it would get better, then finally realized things wouldn’t be changing anytime soon, and called it quits.

I heard he and Tomlin had a good relationship, but watching Tomlin continue to fail so hard had to wear Colbert down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Porter actually grades higher in zone coverage, which is why I like him. He can do both very well and has some balls skills. He’s also a sound tackler.

Steelers really value CB's that can tackle. That philosophy hasn't changed much over the years

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

I don’t understand the weidl loading up on o line thought. The Eagles drafted 2 g and 2 ot since 2013 in the 1st 2 rounds. They took a LT in 2019 who they didn’t pick up his 5th year option. They have only drafted 2 Dl in the first 3 rounds since 2014. They did invest a ton of money on the dl. They drafted Wr more often than us in the top 2 rounds in that stretch.
I think CB is definitely in play at 17

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Flores was named one of the three finalists for the Arizona Cardinals head coach position, joining Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo and New York Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka. Flores was a late addition to the Cardinals' second-round interviews before the team closed the door on other candidates.
Now, Minnesota has moved Flores into the top spot for their search and will wait on him to seemingly decide between Arizona and the Vikings.
Flores is also scheduled to interview for the Broncos for their DC position.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Kinda wished he would stick around for one more year since we don’t get any picks if he leaves. If he doesn’t get the AZ HC gig which is a losing situation

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
the more I watch the WR class the more I’m okay with picking Addison. And I don’t even like him a ton, I find his play strength pretty rough. But hes the only guy I think is a sure fire solid enough pro. Maybe JSN too. Everyone else is really meh or has a possible fatal flaw. Super weak group imo.

Might be smart to check out FA for that position. Pascal (PHI) would be a great pickup.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
the more I watch the WR class the more I’m okay with picking Addison. And I don’t even like him a ton, I find his play strength pretty rough. But hes the only guy I think is a sure fire solid enough pro. Maybe JSN too. Everyone else is really meh or has a possible fatal flaw. Super weak group imo.

Might be smart to check out FA for that position. Pascal (PHI) would be a great pickup.
I like Iosavias from Princeton.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Kinda wished he would stick around for one more year since we don’t get any picks if he leaves. If he doesn’t get the AZ HC gig which is a losing situation

Suprised he came here in the first place to put up Tomlin's tea party.

He was like "one year was too much for me, I'm good":laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Don't think they should be taking guys they don't like a ton at 17OA, even if the rest of the group is weak. Particularly since much as I want to see them boost Pickett's weapons, any new guy is still going to be weapon #4 for next season unless they're really really good. That seems a situation where you can gamble on a late pick guy with some tools coming good.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Steelers really value CB's that can tackle. That philosophy hasn't changed much over the years
Is their a franchise that's doesn't value good tackling?

Like "our team prefers O-lineman that can prevent sacks."

I get what you're saying I'm just in a mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad