The Picks that were Traded/Acquired

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
There has been a lot of talk about the Canucks "hemorrhaging picks" in trades, so I thought it would be interesting to look at picks traded, and picks acquired during Benning's tenure, and see who was actually picked...

Picks Traded
Roland McKeown (2014 2nd - 50th overall - Vey trade) *pick originally acquired in Garrison trade
Keegan Iverson (2014 3rd - 85th overall - Dorsett trade) *pick originally acquired in Kesler/Bonino trade
Rasmus Andersson (2015 2nd - 53rd overall - Baertschi trade)
Deven Sideroff (2015 3rd - 84th overall - Kesler/Bonino trade)
Jack Sadek (2015 7th - 204th overall - Garrison trade)
Rasmus Asplund (2016 2nd - 33rd overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Filip Gustavsson (2016 2nd - 55th overall - Bonino/Sutter trade) *pick originally acquired in Bieksa trade
Jonathan Ang (2016 4th - 94th overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Casey Staum (2016 5th - 124th overall - Prust/Kassian trade)
??? (2017 5th round pick - Philip Larsen trade)
??? (2017 6th round pick - Etem/Jensen trade)

Picks Acquired
Guillaume Brisebois (2015 3rd - 66th overall - Lack trade)
Tate Olson (2015 7th - 210th overall - McNally trade)
Cole Candella (2016 5th - 140th overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Brett McKenzie (2016 7th - 194th overall - Lack trade)

I know there has been a lot of comment throughout other threads - but laying it out as a stark contrast - I find it very alarming that Benning has traded seven top 100 picks in the last three drafts while acquiring back only one!!!

S_C

Last edited:

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Awesome content! We should also add prospects traded within one year of being drafted - this thread needs more Forsling and McCann.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I'd be okay with it if this management group hadn't come in and preached patience and didn't someone say theyou would build through the draft with no short cuts?

Seems like they just say whatever they think will be popular and then do whatever Aqualoser tells them to do.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Seems like they just say whatever they think will be popular and then do whatever Aqualoser tells them to do.

That is pretty much their job... Linden was bought in really as a PR guy... i.e the most popular 'nuck ever as the face of management. He had no experience or qualifications for the job but was given the job as a PR stint hoping to sell "hope" and on ride his popularity with the fan base. Unlike other players who worked their way to the top, he was just given the president role while more or less being away from the game after retirement.

Shanahan for example took a job @ the NHL office right away to basically gap his knowledge between player and management (then moved up the ranks there before going to the Leafs). Yzerman worked as AGM with the Red Wings first. Basically both were working under the wing of someone more experienced to learn the ropes. Linden basically was given the job and just tried to hire people he had connections with and it hasn't turned out all that well.

As far as picks traded/acquired... very good topic and good reference for tracking in the future but also remember we likely would've picked different players if we were in those spots and other teams likely would've done the same. Benning is suppose to be a good scout so he should be ahead of the "curve" in terms of his picks... which is another reason i don't think many fans (me included) are happy with him trading away picks when his strength likely is in making the picks themselves.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
There has been a lot of talk about the Canucks "hemorrhaging picks" in trades, so I thought it would be interesting to look at picks traded, and picks acquired during Benning's tenure, and see who was actually picked...

Picks Traded
Roland McKeown (2014 50th overall - Vey trade) *pick originally acquired in Garrison trade
Keegan Iverson (2014 85th overall - Dorsett trade) *pick originally acquired in Kesler/Bonino trade
Rasmus Andersson (2015 53rd overall - Baertschi trade)
Deven Sideroff (2015 84th overall - Kesler/Bonino trade)
Jack Sadek (2015 204th overall - Garrison trade)
Rasmus Asplund (2016 33rd overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Filip Gustavsson (2016 55th overall - Bonino/Sutter trade) *pick originally acquired in Bieksa trade
Jonathan Ang (2016 94th overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Casey Staum (2016 124th overall - Prust/Kassian trade)
??? (2017 7th round pick - Etem/Jensen trade)

Picks Acquired
Guillaume Brisebois (2015 66th overall - Lack trade)
Tate Olson (2015 210th overall - McNally trade)
Cole Candella (2016 140th overall - McCann/Gudbranson trade)
Brett McKenzie (2016 194th overall - Lack trade)

I know there has been a lot of comment throughout other threads - but laying it out as a stark contrast - I find it very alarming that Benning has traded seven top 100 picks in the last three drafts while acquiring back only one!!!

S_C

Looks like a whole lot of nothing on both sides so far... will be interesting to see if any develop 4-5 years from now into NHL'ers.

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
Would be interesting to see the projected games played and points/game for the picks on both sides, as well as the games played and points/game for the roster players added/moved in the transactions (as well as their reasonable future projections, I suppose). It would be a ton of work, but would make for an interesting perspective on the sum of Benning's moves.

The negative balance on draft picks is, of course, concerning. But without the context of the other pieces involved (and their contributions versus those projected to be lost), it's difficult to really gauge the situation, in terms of value gained/lost.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
well it also depends on how much you believe Benning can make good on picks compared to other GMs around the league.

Boston last year made some good trades acquiring picks but then proceeding to take a deuce on the draft floor for 15 minutes. so is it nothing lost by the other teams because Sweeney sucks?

I personally believe amateur scouting is where Benning is at his best. he spends a lot of time doing it yet trades the picks away. for a team that has finished 25th and 28th over the span of 3 years to be minus 3 picks in the first 4 rounds over 3 drafts is unacceptable.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Here's all the trades so you can cherry other areas:

Trades:

-2014-15-----------
Bonino, Sbisa, 1st (#24 - McCann), 3rd --- Kesler, 3rd (#84 - Deven Sideroff)
Dorsett --- 3rd (#85 - Keegan Iverson)
2nd --- Garrison, 7th (204th - Jack Sadek), Costello
Vey --- 2nd (#50 - Roland McKeown)
Acton --- Lain
Pedan --- Mallet, '16 3rd (came back to us)
Clendening --- Forsling
Conacher --- Jeffrey
Baertschi --- 2nd (#53 - Rasmus Andersson)

-2015-16-----------
3rd (66th - Brisebois) and (#194 McKenzie) --- Lack
7th (210th - Tate Olson) --- McNally
Prust --- Kassian, (#124 Staum)
'16 2nd --- Bieksa
Sutter, (#64 Lockwood) --- Bonino, Clendening, (#55 Gustavsson)
Etem --- Jensen, '17 6th
Granlund --- Shinkaruk
Larsen --- '17 5th
Futures --- Fox

-2016-17----------
Gudbranson, (#140 Candella) --- McCann, (#33 Asplund), (#94 Ang)

Edit..

Thanks for filling that out OP.. completes the transaction thread...

I was also gonna say you missed 2016 #64 Lockwood... but I assume since it was originally ours, you've cancelled it out...

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Which particular players that were taken with the pick isn't all that relevant. Nonis picking Taylor Ellington with the #33 doesn't make the fact that LA gave up two 2nds for Cloutier any less ridiculous.

This is particularly important if you think having Jim Benning and his Eye For Talentâ„¢ gives the Canucks an advantage over other teams at the draft table.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Which particular players that were taken with the pick isn't all that relevant. Nonis picking Taylor Ellington with the #33 doesn't make the fact that LA gave up two 2nds for Cloutier any less ridiculous.

This is particularly important if you think having Jim Benning and his Eye For Talent™ gives the Canucks an advantage over other teams at the draft table.

Yeah, Benning has said that he feels he can expect every draft to yield 2-3 future NHLers. If Benning had 14 picks in a draft (instead of 7), I'd assume he feels he could expect that draft to yield 4-6 future NHLers? If he only had one pick, I'd assume he'd only expect to yield 1 future NHL player, however, it is possible that he might expect to yield 2 future NHL players with that one pick. Also, Benning is marketed by the Canucks as someone who sees things that other people can't. Like you say, which particular players that were taken with the pick isn't all that relevant... when a drafting guru and eye for talent expert could do better with that pick, if he had that pick.

MeatAndPotatoes

Jul 7, 2016

Picks Traded
Roland McKeown (2014 2nd - 50th overall - Vey trade) *pick originally acquired in Garrison trade
Keegan Iverson (2014 3rd - 85th overall - Dorsett trade) *pick originally acquired in Kesler/Bonino trade
Filip Gustavsson (2016 2nd - 55th overall - Bonino/Sutter trade) *pick originally acquired in Bieksa trade

Picks Acquired

Roland McKeown (2014 2nd - 50th overall - Garrison trade) *pick later dealt in Vey trade
Keegan Iverson (2014 3rd - 85th overall - Kesler trade) *pick later dealt in Dorsett trade

Filip Gustavsson (2016 2nd - 55th overall - Bieksa trade) *pick later dealt in Bonino/Sutter trade
William Lockwood (2016 3rd - 64th overall - Bonino/Sutter trade)

S_C

That was a pretty dishonest way of representing the data by only including the acquired picks that were then traded in the "Picks Traded" section. You also missed William Lockwood - 3rd round pick - #64 overall. I've updated the list to be a bit more fair.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Picks Traded

Picks Acquired

S_C

Nice work 'Southern Canuck'!...at the very least we have a lot of draft picks picked in Canuck slots by other teams to monitor in the years going forward....not to mention Shinkaruk and McCann....both first rounders who were essentially dealt as 20-year olds...so much for building for the future.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Yeah, Benning has said that he feels he can expect every draft to yield 2-3 future NHLers. If Benning had 14 picks in a draft (instead of 7), I'd assume he feels he could expect that draft to yield 4-6 future NHLers? If he only had one pick, I'd assume he'd only expect to yield 1 future NHL player, however, it is possible that he might expect to yield 2 future NHL players with that one pick. Also, Benning is marketed by the Canucks as someone who sees things that other people can't. Like you say, which particular players that were taken with the pick isn't all that relevant... when a drafting guru and eye for talent expert could do better with that pick, if he had that pick.

It can be difficult trying to develop 4-6 draft picks a year into nhlers

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Picks Traded

Picks Acquired

S_C

NHL bodies acquired vs NHL bodies traded (minus the cancelled out ones)

Trade FOR
Sutter
Sbisa
Dorsett
Vey
Pedan
Baertschi
Prust
Etem
Granlund
Larsen
Gudbranson

Traded OUT
Kesler
Garrison
Bieksa
Lack
Kassian
Shinkaruk

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Picks Traded

Picks Acquired

S_C

Did he give away every pick/player for nothing? Did he acquire any good/decent players like Gudbranson, Sutter, Baertschi, etc. People on HF act like every draft pick will turn into a superstar. In reality a 2nd round pick has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular. Has Benning been perfect? No, is any GM?

This whole "sky is falling" stuff really needs to stop.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Did he give away every pick/player for nothing? Did he acquire any good/decent players like Gudbranson, Sutter, Baertschi, etc. People on HF act like every draft pick will turn into a superstar. In reality a 2nd round pick has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular. Has Benning been perfect? No, is any GM?

This whole "sky is falling" stuff really needs to stop.

We lost a better player for nothing while giving up quality young assets for a worse player (Hamhuis/Gudbranson), and we gave up a better player with a great cap hit and who wasn't an upcoming UFA PLUS a 2nd for a worse player with a much higher cap hit who was an upcoming UFA and a 3rd.

The whole giving Benning a free pass for everything needs to stop.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
That was a pretty dishonest way of representing the data by only including the acquired picks that were then traded in the "Picks Traded" section. You also missed William Lockwood - 3rd round pick - #64 overall. I've updated the list to be a bit more fair.

Well, I only listed the final resting places of the assets. The 2016 3rd round William Lockwood pick was originally traded away for Andrey Pedan, but re-acquired in the Sutter trade, so I treated it as a wash...

S_C

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i was bored and took a look at our entire draft history from 1979 onwards. picks made / picks given - number of players with 100+ games played and unknowns.

1st round 38/38 - 23 with 100 + games 7 unknowns
2nd round 27/38 - 11 with 100 + games 2 unknowns
3rd round 36/38 - 6 with 100 + games 5 unknowns
4th round 30/38 - 3 with 100 + games 3 unknowns (being lenient with Labate)
5th round 39/38 - 9 with 100 + games 7 unknowns
6th round 37/38 - 5 with 100 + games 2 unknowns
7th round 38/37 - 2 with 100 + games 3 unknowns
8th round 26/23 - 1 with 100 + games
9th round 24/23 - 5 with 100 + games
10th round 15/15 - 2 with 100 + games
11th round 13/13 - 1 with 100 + games
12th round 12/10 - 0

there are a few very likely candidates to get to 100+ GP. 349 picks given, 335 picks made, 68 with 100+ games played. 29 unknowns.

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
We lost a better player for nothing while giving up quality young assets for a worse player (Hamhuis/Gudbranson), and we gave up a better player with a great cap hit and who wasn't an upcoming UFA PLUS a 2nd for a worse player with a much higher cap hit who was an upcoming UFA and a 3rd.

The whole giving Benning a free pass for everything needs to stop.

We got a player we needed, Hamhuis is 33 and did not look good last year. We got a player that will make us harder to play against, our blueline was far too soft last year.

Bonino is better than Sutter :laugh: The same Nick Bonino that put up 29 points last year, ok bud, Sutters caphit isn't ideal but he will be our 3rd line C for years to come. We gave up an inconsistent 3rd line C, a draft pick that has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular for a big 3rd line C , wow so terrible.

Did I say Benning was perfect? Pretty sure I didn't.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Bonino is better than Sutter :laugh: The same Nick Bonino that put up 29 points last year, ok bud, Sutters caphit isn't ideal but he will be our 3rd line C for years to come.

I'll be happy if Sutter can beat that next season.

We gave up an inconsistent 3rd line C, a draft pick that has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular for a big 3rd line C , wow so terrible.

A big 3rd line C that scores less and is smaller than the inconsistent 3rd line C

Pretty sure he didn't say you did.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I understand what he's doing. The Canucks are devoid of 24-29 year old talent. He's trading picks to try and fill the gap in the pipeline while betting he can draft shrewdly enough with the remaining picks to keep the next wave above water.

I don't think he can draft well enough to do it.

Very ballsy plan though. He's really putting a lot of stock in his scouting ability.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I'll be happy if Sutter can beat that next season.

He did the year before playing on the Pens 3rd line, don't see how he wouldn't again very easily.

A big 3rd line C that scores less and is smaller than the inconsistent 3rd line C

More inconsistent? I'll give you that, though the margin of difference is not far off.

Pretty sure he didn't say you did.[/QUOTE]

Ok well if you wanna get technical, he inferred that I give Benning a free pass all the time, which I clearly don't, that clear enough bud?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We got a player we needed, Hamhuis is 33 and did not look good last year. We got a player that will make us harder to play against, our blueline was far too soft last year.

Bonino is better than Sutter :laugh: The same Nick Bonino that put up 29 points last year, ok bud, Sutters caphit isn't ideal but he will be our 3rd line C for years to come. We gave up an inconsistent 3rd line C, a draft pick that has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular for a big 3rd line C , wow so terrible.

Except a lot of time they didn't get a player they needed. Benning just end up on a cycle of letting players walk then trading futures for inferior replacements.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Except a lot of time they didn't get a player they needed. Benning just end up on a cycle of letting players walk then trading futures for inferior replacements.

We got younger, after Gillis left us with an over aged dumpster fire. Benning let Hamhuis walk, I'll give you that, though it sounds more and more like that was a product of Hammer only willing to go certain places and ownership meddling.

Gudbranson and Sutter are in no way inferior pieces.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Not going in that mess of the quotes tag.

Ok well if you wanna get technical, he inferred that I give Benning a free pass all the time, which I clearly don't, that clear enough bud?

If I wanted to get technical, I would say that he didn't imply that you gave Benning free passes, he said it. So far, that's all you've clearly done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad