The Outer Worlds - Obsidian (2019 - PC, XB1, PS4)

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Yeah I had a similar concern with the opening quest

I appreciate the attempt at morally Grey decision making but it felt rather shallow in that there was literally no third option. I ended up giving power to the deserters but the more I thought about it after and it seemed like their colony was doing fine. What it amounted to was which side sucks less, the other side is who I'm gonna **** over for my self serving interests. And then as soon as I did it, everything in Edgewater seemed status quo except for the alarm going off and Reed looking depressed. I couldn't find one NPC who realized their power was gone.

But beyond that Ive been thinking about it some more and I can't escape this feeling that this game is largely charmless with a thin atmosphere. For me one of Fallout's strengths, even in 4, is this atmosphere of devastation and just the slightest hint of dread that's undercut by wackyness in the music, dialogue, and even the skill menus/AI behavior.

I'm not saying TOW needs to replicate that necessarily, since it already feels close enough to a copyright lawsuit as it is. But it's lacking charm in most of the dialogue/NPCs and general atmosphere of the game. All I'm getting is a visual breed between Fallout, Bioshock, and I suppose a bit of No Man's Sky. But this hasn't been a game, two hours in, that feels like it has its own unique soul and charm.

And I'm plenty mad at Bethesda so I had every reason to go into this with positivity/confirmation bias but it's just missing enough to elevate this from good to timelessly great imo.

It's close enough, that it feels like FO, with different assets. Vault-Tec out, Halcyon in, raiders out, marauders in, I feel that Phineas will end up being that greyish character, like House was in New Vegas.

That makes TOW both familiar and awesome in a way, but I don't feel bad in just referring to it as Fallout in space. The game engine is good, it doesn't have the shit Bethesda bugs (I get a near constant 60 FPS at 1080p, at ultra settings, with shadows on high), a high detailed world, good voice acting (the voice actress of Aloy from HZD voices Parvati), but I do feel like the twist will end up being "well, this faction seems really horrible on one thing, but the other factions are each bad in their own way, and depending how you look at it, they aren't terrible, just misguided.", and I'll end up saving at certain points to go through each ending.

I do like having two companions at once though, although I really wish they were more talkative. For example in FO 4, I really liked Cait's and Piper's backstories, and they would randomly go up to progress their plot line. In TOW, they do come up to me, but I have all of two options with the dialog (one question or just leave the conversation)

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I am about 4 hours in, have done some quests and just some exploring, but so far it has been an enjoyable experience, a much better "fallout" experience than Fallout 76

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There's really no point in playing this game above 1080p. With the TAA you can barely tell the difference outside of certain hair effects.

Also a tip, some people might not know (I've seen tons of people online complaining about leveling 3 stats at once), you can still level your stats individually after maxing out the 3 stat level ups. So for example once leveling Dialog is maxed out, you can still level up Persuade, Lie and Intimidate individually.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Yeah I abandoned stealth right after leaving the first world. I can just tell this game isn't built for it.

So is it better to just power level one speech option once you hit 50 or should I still be sinking points into all 3 individually?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Yeah I abandoned stealth right after leaving the first world. I can just tell this game isn't built for it.

So is it better to just power level one speech option once you hit 50 or should I still be sinking points into all 3 individually?
From what I've seen, they're all useful, but they accomplish the same thing, so I would just level one. Persuasion is the most useful by far. Usually if theres an intimidation option there will be a persuasion option.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Level 20 now. Game is pretty good, you can tell they had a smaller budget though at times. Switched from a stealth lonewolf melee build to a more firearms and speech options with companions build and its way better. Stealth isn't good in this game.

That's how I've approached it, it's either talk my out or shoot my way out. Companions make either bullet sponges or diversions, as I can't seem to make them into pack mules, although I like some of their side quests, and the banter with two of them around, I'm up to 4 companions now.

I'm probably 10-12 hours in, and trying to save up 10,000 bits, but again, I do like most of the side quests. The game does need a day/night timer, I would like to break into offices after hours.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I know there's a solid crowd in here that is kind of in my mold, for lack of a better word, so I have a question I'd like feedback on:

This game seems right up my alley. I love Fallout3 (even 4), FO:NV is one of my favorite games of all time, and like big open world RPGs very much (Witcher 3 may be my all time game, love Skyrim and still play it, etc). However, I have limited time to play games these days, busy with adulthood. I also have a problem finishing games so I promised myself I would finish RDR2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn before Cyberpunk comes out. I have a restart on RDR2 and am late chapter 2; H:ZD I left off really just after the tutorial, when you go to that big party or whatever it was. Do I break my promise and get this game or is it really not "must play" and I can circle back on it in a year or 3?

God, I just realized I actually have never finished the Skyrim main quest, or even started the Dragonborn DLC, and I've got countless hours into Skyrim... jesus I have a problem finishing games.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I know there's a solid crowd in here that is kind of in my mold, for lack of a better word, so I have a question I'd like feedback on:

This game seems right up my alley. I love Fallout3 (even 4), FO:NV is one of my favorite games of all time, and like big open world RPGs very much (Witcher 3 may be my all time game, love Skyrim and still play it, etc). However, I have limited time to play games these days, busy with adulthood. I also have a problem finishing games so I promised myself I would finish RDR2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn before Cyberpunk comes out. I have a restart on RDR2 and am late chapter 2; H:ZD I left off really just after the tutorial, when you go to that big party or whatever it was. Do I break my promise and get this game or is it really not "must play" and I can circle back on it in a year or 3?

God, I just realized I actually have never finished the Skyrim main quest, or even started the Dragonborn DLC, and I've got countless hours into Skyrim... jesus I have a problem finishing games.

So I am in the same boat with not a ton of time dedicated to gaming anymore, and I absolutely love Witcher/Skyrim/Fallout NV games.

I ended up buying this game even though I have a backlog of games I have never finished which include Spiderman, and Detroit Become Human. Those games just dont do it for me as much as this style of game though. I will say I had zero problems finishing RDR2 because I was hooked, despite limited time.

I am one hour into this game and I see myself definitely finishing it. Yes, it will be more of a time consumption game, but I am absolutely loving it so far and I havent even done that much yet.

I mean I cant tell you if youre going to finish it or not, but I am glad I bought it.

Reactions: Bocephus86

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am only about an hour into the game and still on the first world, but I made my character to be a "space cowboy smooth talker" type guy, charming and with hand guns as his main weapons. This is usually something different than I usually build. I like it so far. Honestly I have read zero tips and tricks for this game so far so I have no idea what is good and what isn't.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If you have an SSD to reduce load times, it's very easy to casually play through this and finish questlines in a matter of 30 minutes or so. Just turn it down to easy and don't save scum.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

For what it's worth this game is fairly compact: things are close-by (so you get to your destination quickly and finding things isn't an issue) and from what I understand, it is more of a 30 hour game than a 50 hour one. It really is New Vegas in space and smaller scale.

That being said, odds are high you won't finish it. Time to kill the child inside, you can never go back unfortunately. Best to not fight it ;)

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
@PeterSidorkiewicz & @Do Make Say Think : thanks for the feedback/opinions. Honestly I'll probably pull the trigger on this and start it over the weekend. I was always driven to finish the Fallout games vs the other open world counterparts for some reason so maybe I'll break my streak (I also did push through and finish Deus Ex: Mankind Divided about a month ago).

I should just jump back into my Chapter 6 RDR2 save and start from there but I played that game a lot after a bad breakup and when I was drinking; let's just say there are stretches of that game I don't remember at all and wanted to soak it all in now that I was back into healthier behaviors.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
@PeterSidorkiewicz & @Do Make Say Think : thanks for the feedback/opinions. Honestly I'll probably pull the trigger on this and start it over the weekend. I was always driven to finish the Fallout games vs the other open world counterparts for some reason so maybe I'll break my streak (I also did push through and finish Deus Ex: Mankind Divided about a month ago).

I should just jump back into my Chapter 6 RDR2 save and start from there but I played that game a lot after a bad breakup and when I was drinking; let's just say there are stretches of that game I don't remember at all and wanted to soak it all in now that I was back into healthier behaviors.

You should definitely finish RDR2. The last chapter is fantastic.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Anyone have an outline of how long the game is? I'm so down on the concept but stupid long RPGs like Witcher and Skyrim drain me too much to enjoy it. :laugh:

I'm hoping for something length wise like Mass Effect or Borderlands.

Reactions: tealhockey

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Anyone have an outline of how long the game is? I'm so down on the concept but stupid long RPGs like Witcher and Skyrim drain me too much to enjoy it. :laugh:

How long is The Outer Worlds?

This site claims 10.5 hours for the main story, and 28 hours for "completionist" based on user data.

But given that the game hasn't been out for very long I wonder if that might undersell the length a little bit since players who already beat it may have rushed through.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I've read 20-40 hrs depending on how far you want to pursue companion and side quests. I'm actually enjoying how compact it feels, for lack of better term.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I beat it in 24 hours. Anywhere from 15-45 it can take. I did all companion quests, and like halfish side quests. It probably shouldn't take over 35 hours if you aren't on the hardest difficulty.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Have to give kudos to Microsoft for putting this & GOW on the Game Pass & offering a $2 / 2 month trial.
Very early into Outer Worlds, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Lame that Gladys needs all 3 "secrets" on Roseway. That wasn't made clear before I returned the first one to Anton and now I have to pay up those credits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad