OT: The OT Thread | The Thread of Destiny

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Heres a weird thing. My dogs love and respect me and I them, they listen to me when off leash but are hit and miss with the wife. Yet given the choice they are usually resting next to her. However, I am a cat whisperer and the cats are always around me 24/7

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Heres a weird thing. My dogs love and respect me and I them, they listen to me when off leash but are hit and miss with the wife. Yet given the choice they are usually resting next to her. However, I am a cat whisperer and the cats are always around me 24/7
Does your wife feed the dogs?

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
She does 50-75% of feedings yes. Im the one who shares my food though. And all tricks and food manners/training has been done by me
Dogs are opportunists and very self serving so they’ll hang out wherever they see the easiest path to gratification. Most of the time it’s food driven but satisfying their instinctual drives through play (training) is also a factor.

Reactions: Kryten

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Dogs are opportunists and very self serving so they’ll hang out wherever they see the easiest path to gratification. Most of the time it’s food driven but satisfying their instinctual drives through play (training) is also a factor.
I also do most of the playing. Including all of the getting on the ground for the rough play with the big dog haha who looks very similar to the one in your picture

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don’t mean to brush up against any sensitive material, but I do live under a rock and only just now found out Shane Gillis was on SNL. I watched his monologue. He seemed nervous which I thought was a bit at first, wasn’t his best bc of his energy but it was fine.

Then I go read now that he bombed? Then I’m thinking “oh it was a bit” and read the article and see apparently the jokes he did do were offensive? What f***ing planet are we on?

I read some more about this one joke that was apparently offensive about how before puberty you are basically your mom’s gay best friend and then once puberty hits you become a raging hormonal sex addict. I am puzzled. I scroll back up to see who is writing this and it’s this Olivia whomever (Times or Post, don’t remember) and it clicks.

No shit you thought he bombed. That joke wasn’t for you, because it’s not something that would ever happen to a woman. I mean. These are the facts as I see them. Speaking as a straight man, this joke is obviously for me because that was my experience with puberty.I can’t speak to whether his Downs Syndrome jokes crossed any lines because I don’t know anyone with that. That joke wasn’t really *for* me.

I don’t really want to make this all a political thing, but cut the shit and think about what you are writing about before you write it.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I just came here to chime in on the sub sandwich conversation. Quiznos >> Subway, but when you're in the states Jimmy John's >>>>>>> both of them.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t mean to brush up against any sensitive material, but I do live under a rock and only just now found out Shane Gillis was on SNL. I watched his monologue. He seemed nervous which I thought was a bit at first, wasn’t his best bc of his energy but it was fine.

Then I go read now that he bombed? Then I’m thinking “oh it was a bit” and read the article and see apparently the jokes he did do were offensive? What f***ing planet are we on?

I read some more about this one joke that was apparently offensive about how before puberty you are basically your mom’s gay best friend and then once puberty hits you become a raging hormonal sex addict. I am puzzled. I scroll back up to see who is writing this and it’s this Olivia whomever (Times or Post, don’t remember) and it clicks.

No shit you thought he bombed. That joke wasn’t for you, because it’s not something that would ever happen to a woman. I mean. These are the facts as I see them. Speaking as a straight man, this joke is obviously for me because that was my experience with puberty.I can’t speak to whether his Downs Syndrome jokes crossed any lines because I don’t know anyone with that. That joke wasn’t really *for* me.

I don’t really want to make this all a political thing, but cut the shit and think about what you are writing about before you write it.

It's clear some people wanted him to bomb or would think he bombed regardless of how he did. Some would have thought or written that without even watching.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
There’s a video from a Subway in like Revelstoke or somewhere in BC. A bear enters the store, hops the counter, sniffs out the meat, hops back over & eventually exits. I point this out because growing up we had bear proof garbage locks because they’d eat the garbage.

Haven’t eaten subway since.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Im reminded of that Ron Burgundy quote: “why do we have to tell the people what they need to hear? Why can't we just tell them what they want to hear?”

Also can I add, welcome back to Jon Stuart will probably become my only sauce of 2024 coverage.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I worked at a subway in the early 2000's. Just out of high school. Everything then seemed fresh, like we sliced tomatoes in house, lettuce shreds came in bags, pickles in bags, onions cut in house etc.

But in the last 5 years or so I'd work a lot of graveyards so I'd often get a sub, cheap easy etc. But somehow it just tastes worse, less fresh, would always make my stomach hurt.

Quiznos I always enjoyed more but anytime I have it, it just liquifies my guts.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Im reminded of that Ron Burgundy quote: “why do we have to tell the people what they need to hear? Why can't we just tell them what they want to hear?”

Also can I add, welcome back to Jon Stuart will probably become my only sauce of 2024 coverage.

I don’t think I can risk my sanity by watching anyone else. What a world we live where reading Camus actually makes sense from a mental health POV

• Love
Reactions: Aphid Attraction

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Wouldnt recommend. Last time I had something there it tasted like the smell of a urinal puck

Quiznos is still in business?!
Huh

People don’t like Quiznos?!?!?

It’s like a thousand times better than Subway, sucks that Subway had better marketing.
I knew I had heard that Quizno's management often had contentious relationships with franchises so I looked it up. Here's a reddit post that goes some way toward explaining why the company cratered:

Former manager of a Quizno's here. I can answer this question. Suit up. you're not gonna like it.
Quizno's is the biggest, barely legal pyramid scheme I have ever witnessed. It’s f***ing nefarious genius. Something like 90% of new Quizno's franchises go out of business within three years because the cooperation makes more money off of a new startup than they do off of a functioning business. Corporate literally makes more money off a franchise going bankrupt, than they do off a successful business.
Let's talk about Bob and Randy, whose names have not been changed because they are guilty as f***. Bob and Randy are (or at least were in the early 2000’s) the regional managers of Quizno’s franchises in the southwest (Arkansas/Oklahoma/Texas area). Bob and Randy were some crafty sleeze buckets, who would come in with videos and marketing materials and graphs about how the business worked, how to make profits, and literally I shit you not almost identical money making charts as you see with all the other “make your millions” direct marketing scams (found that out later). They then would “lease” to you the proprietary equipment needed to start your business, and you would buy in for an incredibly low price. You could literally start three franchises for what it would normally cost to buy one of most other FF chains. You would pay small “fees” for the brand new equipment, and in 18 months, you’d own it! Then it was just the food delivery, and “standard” franchise fees. Bob and Randy made it sound stupid not to invest, and you left literally wondering why no one else f***ing was doing this. It was so easy!
There was a reason.
We’ll put Bob and randy on hold for a second, we’ll get back to them.
My friend’s family had made a lot of money starting a used car lot in a bustling suburban area. The made a killing buying used cars, fixing them up, and selling them for lower than almost any other dealer. They sold the business for a smooth couple million and were looking for something to invest their money in for longer term returns with less “dirty” work. Quizno’s looked good and their son and I (good friends) signed on to manage their stores (we met co-managing a pizza franchise).
We picked some pretty good spots and had customers coming in like crazy. And we were selling a lot of product with lines sometimes out the door, but almost immediately things started to look shitty. The prices they charged for the food were literally only a few cents less per “serving” than the mandated prices we had to charge on the store. The small, “reasonable” fees for the equipment were of course smaller than buying it out right, but looking on the market, you could have bought as good or better equipment for half what you wound up paying to cooperate, but you had to have Quizno’s equipment. And you had to pay a monthly “franchise” fee, which isn’t unusual in the business, but the fees were f***ing absurd. So, inevitably, after 4-5 months your business starts to struggle.
Then, Bob and Randy come and do a store inspection. And holy shit, those awesome, friendly, funny guys turn into goddamn ring wraiths and will dock you for a smudge on the paint, a loose screw on the door, a slightly wobbly table, whatever. This reduces your corporate store rating. What’s a store rating? Well, we didn’t know either! Your store rating is a metric they use to determine how well you are holding up the brand image! THAT WAS NEVER f***ING MENTIONED UNTIL BOB AND RANDY SHOWED UP. They give you 6 weeks to correct the issues and then show back up. They dock you on a whole bunch of other shit and your rating drops. If you get below a certain score, (I don’t remember what horse shit they lied to us) Then they can STOP DELIVERING PRODUCT TO YOUR STORE. In your contract, you signed that you would only buy product from Quizno’s for “brand consistency” or what the f*** ever. Which seems perfectly reasonable at the time. A big mac is a big mac for a reason.
So you work your asses off to keep the store in good shape, with Bob and Randy popping up and slowly reducing your store rating. But sometimes you get a little better! But you never get quite as good as you were a time or two before last. Meanwhile, you’re bleeding money on the fees and margins, constantly struggling between wanting to get the f*** out, and thinking you can make the store work.
Eventually though, literally no matter what you do, your store rating drops below the minimum rating. So Bob and Randy issue a stop order on your store. You are legally forbidden from buying elsewhere, and the fees are bleeding you dry. But, hey! You own your equipment now! You can sell that and get some money back after you close your doors and declare bankruptcy.
HA! Why would anyone buy your used equipment, tainted with store failure, when Bob and Randy will sell them brand new equipment for only a small monthly fee!?
So about a million dollars down after 2 years slowly bleeding money on three stores, My friends parents wised the f*** up and got out. I went on to other things and my pal helped his parents start up a small deli. Many of our old customers found out about the new place, and after a few months, business was booming. They were incredibly f***ing lucky that they got out when they did, and that they were able to make something else work.
In the decade or so since, about 3-4 dozen Quizno’s have sprung up and died out in our little suburban area. About 3-4 dozen families have had their lives f***ing turned upside down, and no doubt financially ruined.
Seriously, f*** Quizno’s, f*** Bob and Randy, and f*** Quizno’s cooperate f***ing bullshit pyramid scheme. When they go down I’ll spit on their f***ing graves. And then shit on it, and then spit on the shit. I hope they get pancreatic cancer and slowly die over years of excruciating pain. Nothing I can think of is bad enough for them.
Edit: Things:1 - This was prior to the apparent buy out in 2012. Things may well be different now, but I've seen at least a few Quizno's start up and fail since 2012, so that doesn't engender hope. Even so, whomever was lying atop that pile of fetid pig shit probably got a nice pay out, and also deserves apparently something way worse than pancreatic cancer. 2 - There are more than a few places where I put cooperate instead of corporate. I admit I was pretty hardcore rage typing and wasn't paying super close attention to my auto-correct. I'm leaving them cause a few people seem to enjoy pointing it out.3 - Reddit and I thank our gold gifter. :) I'm just glad some people are seeing what a shit storm that company was, and may, or may not, still be.

• Wow
Reactions: tradervik and MS

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I've had a rough month of February, ever since I got back from the Philippines.
Work, life, loved ones have been effected in a way where somethings you can't just control.

Looks like its trickled through March, going through some things where having a heavy heart and having a shoulder for someone to cry on is a good thing.

Hope you guys, whatever you are going through...fight through it and keep on prospering.

#life

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I worked at a subway in the early 2000's. Just out of high school. Everything then seemed fresh, like we sliced tomatoes in house, lettuce shreds came in bags, pickles in bags, onions cut in house etc.

But in the last 5 years or so I'd work a lot of graveyards so I'd often get a sub, cheap easy etc. But somehow it just tastes worse, less fresh, would always make my stomach hurt.

Quiznos I always enjoyed more but anytime I have it, it just liquifies my guts.

What’s your sub of choice? Could be the fake meat that is upsetting your stomach.

Price of a footlong sure has gone up in price.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
IMG_1804.jpeg

So, that’s one off the bucket list for the ol Rev

I had to get to two spots in particular as soon as I did a bench tour - where Crosby got the puck in 2010, and where Bergeron got it in 2011 :(

Reactions: rypper

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Work, life, loved ones have been effected in a way where somethings you can't just control.

Looks like its trickled through March, going through some things where having a heavy heart and having a shoulder for someone to cry on is a good thing.

Hope you guys, whatever you are going through...fight through it and keep on prospering.

#life
Don’t know what’s going on with you right now but I do hope you get better soon bro.
Stay strong

Reactions: EpochLink

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I say Diet Pepsi is pretty good for a diet cola. It's held my interest over a few cases now which is more than I can say for any of the diet Coca Cola products or Pepsi Zero.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There’s a video from a Subway in like Revelstoke or somewhere in BC. A bear enters the store, hops the counter, sniffs out the meat, hops back over & eventually exits. I point this out because growing up we had bear proof garbage locks because they’d eat the garbage.

Haven’t eaten subway since.

That happened in Kitimat. Where I live. :laugh:

My office shares a building with the Subway this occurred in.

Reactions: Huggy43

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

#life

Hope you are well, EL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad