OT: THE OT Thread: Grass mowing szn is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
How's this for a kick in the nuts. My friend turned 64 today so the usual joking about being old as dirt etc. His wife posts the happy birthday and looking forward to waking next to him the rest of their days. Well about 4hrs later the Returned Service League, kind of like the US VFW but you don't need to be ex-military, announced Kenny was dead from a massive heart attack. Getting old sucks, more and more people you know start dropping

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Well, color me shocked. I figured x-men '97 would, essentially, be a lot like the previous x-men animated series. A short, kid friendly, digestible version of the comics to essentially serve as a vehicle to sell action figures and get kids into the comic book store.

Man, they really nailed the 1st two episodes and setup at least 2 major comic book plotlines. My expectations were low, but if you are a fan of the comics, worth a watch.
I’ve started rewatching the original series when I’m working from home. Brings back such nostalgia. That show got me into superheroes and to this day, whenever a show starts with “previously on …” my brain completes that sentence with “x-men”.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
How's this for a kick in the nuts. My friend turned 64 today so the usual joking about being old as dirt etc. His wife posts the happy birthday and looking forward to waking next to him the rest of their days. Well about 4hrs later the Returned Service League, kind of like the US VFW but you don't need to be ex-military, announced Kenny was dead from a massive heart attack. Getting old sucks, more and more people you know start dropping
I'm sorry for your loss.
more and more people I knew and worked with have passed. I really do believe that you gotta be thankful every day that you wake up on the right side of the grass.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nate's interesting ride in his sophomore season had a few more twists over the weekend.

They had their road trip to Maine against Maine Maritime Academy on Saturday and Husson University on Sunday.

After not starting for three games (but playing the second half of the last two), Nate did get the start on Saturday against Maine Maritime who was the preseason #1 in conference's coaches poll. The matchup of preseason #1 vs #2 was one of the most important games of the season and it was awesome to see him get the start.

It was a tight game and Nate played well. He stopped 8 of 10 in the first quarter and they led 3-2 after one. The offenses picked up and they led 8-7 at the half. Then it was 10-10 after three. Maine Maritime ran away with it in the 4th and won 16-13. But, Nate ended up with 24 saves with 40 SOG. He stopped 6 more shots than the other goalie and his .600 Save% was slightly better than the other goalie's .580. And the 24 saves was a career high and tied the career high of last year's #1 goalie who finished his college career with 3 1st team All-Conference nods.

Then yesterday, they played a much easier team in Husson. So, their coach game their freshman goalie his first career start and they won 18-3 with Blake stopping 3 of 6 SOG.

The tale of the two games was obvious.

Saturday, SOG were 40-31 for Maine Maritime. Sunday, it was 30-6 to Morrisville.

And shortly after the game, Nate called just to tell me that SUNY Poly upset Maine Maritime on Sunday. Morrisville's next game is at SUNY Poly on Saturday. If Morrisville can win that game, they have 4 easier conference games, three of which are at home, to close out the regular season.

If they can go 7-1, the worst case scenario is a three-way tie for first place heading into the conference playoffs with an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament on the line. If SUNY Delhi can upset Maine Maritime, then it could end up being a two-way tie with SUNY Poly and Morrisville would have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Saturday is going to be a big game between two teams that should be pretty evenly matched up.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
GKqMyM2WoAAyhom.png

It was cool to see this in my inbox this afternoon.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Full brilliant sun here for the eclipse (just like yesterday) about 615 miles due south of the totality over Rochester. temp in low 70s. Was upper 60s yesterday.

I'll confirm the eclipse actually happened for you Western New Yorkers in the gray abyss.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Sorry for your loss ONG.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
rqEGC4-1005856445.gif

Over in So. New England. Have high clouds but can see the eclipse, looks like a fried egg that someone ate half of. Temperature dropped 4 degrees in an hour so far

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I planned to watch the eclipse but I wasn't excited or looking forward to it, maybe too much media coverage, I don't know. We saw it was slowly getting darker outside but a weird darker, ominous darker, then eventually and rather quickly it was quite dark so we went outside and shortly thereafter was totality. People on the sidewalk were audibly awed by the sight. It was definitely an experience to remember, I'm glad I checked it out even though leading up to it my interest level was low. I recall watching a partial one when I was in elementary school but it pales in comparison to the total eclipse. It truly is totality or bust, it's not the same experience in the least.

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I planned to watch the eclipse but I wasn't excited or looking forward to it, maybe too much media coverage, I don't know. We saw it was slowly getting darker outside but a weird darker, ominous darker, then eventually and rather quickly it was quite dark so we went outside and shortly thereafter was totality. People on the sidewalk were audibly awed by the sight. It was definitely an experience to remember, I'm glad I checked it out even though leading up to it my interest level was low. I recall watching a partial one when I was in elementary school but it pales in comparison to the total eclipse. It truly is totality or bust, it's not the same experience in the least.
In terms of ominously dark, I've seen coastal thunderstorms roll-in mid-summer with inky-dark-blue clouds blotting out so much light is looks like dusk. Typically, those are the tornado-spawning storms and you watch in the distance to see if the rain band will pass over or dump on you. Can be as much as 4-6 inches rain in an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad