TV: The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Macfarlane has to be one of the most talented guys in Hollywood, certainly much more so than guys like Matt Groening...

MacFarlane can't touch the Simpsons and perhaps not even Futurama.

Family Guy? I'll give him that despite my objections.
American Dad? Meh...at best
Cleveland Show? No.
Bordertown? How many episodes did that even last?
Western movie? No.
Ted? It was alright..at least worth a rental
Ted 2? Just awful.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Looks alright but I can't imagine how much mileage this has anyways. I thought this was just a galaxy quest movie they went with after rickman died. This is a tv show?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Cleveland Show? No.
Western movie? No.
Ted 2? Just awful.

I agree, and I actually prefer futurama over simpsons. Never had a dropoff imo.

Family guy took like 2 seasons to completely flanderize every single character. People seriously overestimate that shows quality. The title of the show became ironic when it wasn't supposed to be originally. Peter actually cared about his wife and kids until they got lazy and turned him into a psychopath. Not that the show ever had much of a plot.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

Cleveland Show? No.
Western movie? No.
Ted 2? Just awful.

Oh sure Simpsons was better than Family Guy at peak (although I would take todays family guy over the simpsons of the past 18 years or so) but that doesn't really have anything to do with the "creator" of the show who hasn't really had anything to do with it since season 2 maybe..

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
MacFarlane is a terrible actor, great voice actor, but awful "real person" actor. Him in a Million Ways to Die in the West should be enough proof that he should be front and center on a little or big screen again. I'd pass on this after viewing the trailer.

Cleveland Show? No.
Western movie? No.
Ted 2? Just awful.

I still don't get why people love Family Guy over American Dad. Family Guy feels like an unintelligible attempt at mocking the average american family, it's mediocre at best. It's pretty low brow humor imo. American Dad is more naturally funny and creative imo, Roger as a character alone is better than anything in Family Guy.

Also of note, I loved Ted, and Ted 2 was a let down, but man oh man, MacFarlane loves doing wayyyyy too much referential and timeframe "80's" humor in some of his movies. It's like, holy crap dude, use your brain instead of pointing your finger at past crap and laughing at yourself after saying a funny one liner.

I think MacFarlane is far behind Groening, now Groening vs Trey Parker(and Stone if you want to include him) is an interesting debate. South Park, Team America: World Police, The Book of Mormon, The South Park Movie, ....that could be an interesting debate.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Space Above and Beyond
Firefly
Millennium
Lone Gun Men

All amazing Science Fiction shows fox has aired, cancelled well before their time and yet this show will somehow stay on air for seasons on end.

****ing fox man.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Space Above and Beyond
Firefly
Millennium
Lone Gun Men

All amazing Science Fiction shows fox has aired, cancelled well before their time and yet this show will somehow stay on air for seasons on end.

****ing fox man.

Obviously Firefly is the best all-time, and I have limited exposure to Millennium and Lone Gun Men, but I just don't see how this is close to what this series about. This is a parody, ie primarily comedy, show. This is a comedy first, sci-fi second clearly. It bears no comparaison to the aforementioned shows, IMO. And Fox for the most part has nailed comedy shows in the past 5/10 years (post Futurama cancellation I'm meaning basically).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Heard an interesting tidbit on a gaming podcast about this show. Apparently supposed to be more emphasis on the drama rather than the comedy as a comedy-drama and that most of the jokes were in the previews for this already. Allegedly meant to be more character-driven and dealing with a more classic Star Trek vibe with a bit more of a light-heated take on the situation.

If true, that sounds a lot more interesting to me versus if this was just a straight spoof show. Interest slightly more peaked.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I get why people would dislike McFarlane -- there's a frat-boy smugness in everything he does -- but I find him really clever. The first few seasons of Family Guy were hilarious. I even thought he did a great job hosting the Academy Awards a couple of years ago.

This trailer made me laugh. Definitely plan to check out the show...

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Space Above and Beyond
Firefly

Millennium
Lone Gun Men

****ing fox man.

Bolded were great or had potential but Millennium was a disappointment IMO and I thought Lone Gun Men was awful

The biggest mistake Fox ever made with regard to cancelling a show was when network cancelled Alien Nation after 1 season

Was great show and had so much potential. Later execs acknowledged it was mistake and did greenlight 4 made for TV movies but it still didn't change fact they killed a great show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad