TV: The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I haven't watched the Black Mirror episode yet, but I see that it aired October 21st, 2016. The Orville was given a 13-episode order in May of 2016 and filming on the post-pilot episodes began in March of 2017. I would think that MacFarlane had already come up with the idea for the 7th episode of the season before the Black Mirror episode aired. Even though the Orville episodes are largely self-contained, there's an order to them, as we've seen some things from previous episodes referenced, so they were likely written largely in the order that they've been delivered. Waiting until November of last year to even come up with the idea for the 7th episode, when filming on it was to start in only 5 months, would've been cutting things awfully close. My guess is that MacFarlane coincidentally had a similar idea and Black Mirror beat him to it. Our society's current obsession with social approval is a very obvious target for satire.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I haven't watched it yet, but sure sounds like it. I was gonna comment about it even if I didn't see your post. No way someone on the writing staff hasn't seen it.

Yeah, I don't think the episode has a problem in differentiating itself enough from 'Nosedive' and standing on its own merits but there are aspects and parts of the plot that seem a little too unimaginative.

It doesn't have as good a grasp on the premise as Black Mirror does either and the points it tries to make gets a little muddied, but that's a high bar to compare it to.

I haven't watched the Black Mirror episode yet, but I see that it aired October 21st, 2016. The Orville was given a 13-episode order in May of 2016 and filming on the post-pilot episodes began in March of 2017. I would think that MacFarlane had already come up with the idea for the 7th episode of the season before the Black Mirror episode aired. Even though the Orville episodes are largely self-contained, there's an order to them, as we've seen some things from previous episodes referenced, so they were likely written largely in the order that they've been delivered. Waiting until November of last year to even come up with the idea for the 7th episode, when filming on it was to start in only 5 months, would've been cutting things awfully close. My guess is that MacFarlane coincidentally had a similar idea and Black Mirror beat him to it. Our society's current obsession with social approval is a very obvious target for satire.

Yeah, like you said other shows have tackled similar themes of dystopian fiction and the subject matter is something that is the pretty popular thing to opine on at the moment. I am willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to The Orville here, I just don't want to see every show's take on it become so derivative to the point where the premise suffers because of it.

I really liked parts of this episode but there were certain aspects where the execution was lacking and felt a little bit labored.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I agree, really interesting watching a society based on likes/dislikes.
Not the first time it's been done but I like how the did it showing the extreme of a absolute democracy based on something as trivial as like and dislikes. Sad that this is something China is trying to institute.

Some of the small jokes here and there are good also like the captain asking that they have water and pretzels for guests in the future.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I am liking this more then Star Trek Discovery
Same here. Discovery lacks humour, which was present in all other Star Trek series. The Orville although a bit corny, is a lot more in the Trek essence than Discovery. There hasn't really been a bad episode yet, and the dig at social media in the last one was great.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Great EP and I don't care if the premise was taken from Black Mirror. The story was different enough and well done at that. The actress who played Lysell, Giorgia Whigham, doesn't even have a profile pic on IMDB even though she's been on other shows. Me thinks she's gonna get a lot more work in the near future.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Great EP and I don't care if the premise was taken from Black Mirror. The story was different enough and well done at that. The actress who played Lysell, Giorgia Whigham, doesn't even have a profile pic on IMDB even though she's been on other shows. Me thinks she's gonna get a lot more work in the near future.
One could say they used China's social credit system as inspiration....yes this is real life.

The pilots, which monitored spending patterns but also personal behaviour and social media activity, initially raised concerns about consumer privacy. Some of their metrics were seen as irrelevant, including proposals to factor in exercise routines or what time of day people went online. Others were considered more sinister, such as efforts to rate “honesty” or “trustworthiness” by linking credit scores to friends’ social media posts.

https://www.ft.com/content/f772a9ce-60c4-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know why, but the recent episode was extremely cringey for me. I don't think through any fault of the show's own, but something about it was really triggering me in some way about the awkwardness of the situation. Couldn't finish the episode, and not sure if I'll get back to that particular episode.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Cool, they definitely deserve the chance.
I'm curious if they'll keep it at 13 episodes or decide to do more. I think for quality reasons they should stay where they at.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I really enjoyed that episode. It was a good "character" episode for the doctor and Isaac. It was nice being introduced to her kids. I wouldn't mind seeing them again. I like how The Orville has families on it, unlike Discovery.

I was surprised that the doctor stabbed and then shot the guy. I expected a more redemptive end for him, such as eventually releasing her or making a sacrifice for her. Instead, the gentle giant went and got her medicine, barely had time to say "Lucy, I'm home" and didn't even see it coming. I guess that you just don't mess with a mother separated from her cubs.

I just realized that we're already at Episode 8 of only 13, which means that the season may end before Christmas. For some reason, I was thinking that it'd be on into the new year, at least. I guess that I'm just used to longer seasons when it comes to this kind of show (network TV, like Star Trek, episodic, etc.). At the earliest, the second season of The Orville won't be ready until next Fall, so that'll be 9 months of waiting. Ugh.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
First episode that had me lose intrest and it only had a few funny one liners. Hopefully next week's is back to their regular standard.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Someone twisted my arm to watch this cuz I've never been a Seth MacFarlane fan and his sarcastic observational comedy (reminds me of Mel Brooks somewhat).

So I'm pleasantly surprised... and it's not as outrageous as SpaceBalls.

I like it so far.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's decent. I'm not sure it does what Fox might want as the production cost to return might not be great, and I'm a bit surprised it got a second season, but it's alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad