GDT: THE OPPOSITE: Devils @ Arizona 5PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Eh the captain has to sometimes get down and dirty too, but it’s not Nico’s personality which is his one drawback so you need that from the coach - which we don’t have either.
You don't need a captain to "get down and dirty". Loads of teams that are successful don't. You need a captain who sets an example on the ice and in the room which Nico does. Nobody ever questions his effort or his desire to win. Look at captains like Bergeron, McDavid, Stamkos, Barkov, etc. They're not the Trouba, Benn, etc type of captains.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You don't need a captain to "get down and dirty". Loads of teams that are successful don't. You need a captain who sets an example on the ice and in the room which Nico does. Nobody ever questions his effort or his desire to win. Look at captains like Bergeron, McDavid, Stamkos, Barkov, etc. They're not the Trouba, Benn, etc type of captains.
I'm sure Bergeron, Crosby, etc can make their point heard without throwing a skate. Those teams don't usually have long losing streaks, bad starts or wild inconsistencies the way we do.

Reactions: mdj12784

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
ugh, nico is the very very least of this teams problems. no other player leads by example on the ice the way he does.

i just want to fast forward to the new coach and see what they can do with discipline and structure because those are the two things this team lacks more than anything, besides maybe heart.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
There really are no 'coach in waiting' agreements, subterranean or otherwise. Besides, if you're Brunette and you could (presumably) have more autonomy in Nashville or be part of a decision-making tree here with pressure to win now, where would you rather coach?

i want to win in this situation. (and not the johnny hockey way)

coach situation:

i dont wanna wait in vain...

i'm in good company

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

That was a turnover made by a waiver pick-up playing his 2nd game ever for us.

Not saying that this team doesn’t do dumb shit *gestures futilely at current season* but that guy gets more rope from me.

Smith pitching the puck out of the corner and directly to a Dallas Star in front of our net was more problematic to me, since he’s our “veteran leadership”, even if it didn’t lead to a goal against.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the worst part is that as shitty as they’ve been this season, if they just took some momentum from the stadium series and beat washington, tampa, anaheim and arizona they would be sitting at third in the metro.

has there honestly been a more disappointing devils team?

Camille the Eel

I hope you aren’t blaming Jack for the global pandemic. His first two years in the league were full seasons.
Good call I had forgot that. When did the pandemic hit - his year two maybe? Or was it three? The first serious injury was the 2d or 3d game of the season shoulder against Seattle right? Two seasons back. Then last year okay but with something. And now this. I just hope he gets back to baseline 100 percent and can avoid serious issues going forward. What’s ailing him now has really been serious. I’m still not sure it wasn’t a wrist or arm or hand, despite what they say. Because he seems to have no strength at all with his stick.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This is right, but also part of the problem moving forward. Having a GM who may not be willing to make unpopular (in the league) or difficult decisions. A GM needs to have pulse on the team to know who on the staff is responsible for things.

None of this is hindsight. Many of us said during the win streak last year that is was going to set up a situation where Lindy would have to be outed anyways or lose Brunette.

It is all still relevant because this GM is making the next coaching hire.
Thank you. I’ve been saying this shit since the summer.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm sure Bergeron, Crosby, etc can make their point heard without throwing a skate. Those teams don't usually have long losing streaks, bad starts or wild inconsistencies the way we do.

FYI, those two example’s are not the same, as Crosby has been the Pen’s Captain for 17 years and Bergeron was the Bruin’s Captain for 3 years.

PB was an Alternate Captain under Chara for 14 years. Sorry Canadians, Chara was the greatest leader of that Bruin’s locker room.

That said, pointing to two teams with notable playoff streaks and saying their Captains are good is a rather shallow point.

Colorado made the playoffs once in the first 5 years of Landeskog’s 12 year Captaincy. And yet he’s considered an exceptional Captain.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
the worst part is that as shitty as they’ve been this season, if they just took some momentum from the stadium series and beat washington, tampa, anaheim and arizona they would be sitting at third in the metro.

has there honestly been a more disappointing devils team?
10-11 and 12-13 were both worse, IMO. Both those teams were assumed to be playoff locks just like almost every Devils team before them for nearly 20 years.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Nico isn't the one to put that on if that's what you're trying to do. He's seems to be pretty much the only guy who hates to lose on this team.

Camille the Eel

ugh, nico is the very very least of this teams problems. no other player leads by example on the ice the way he does.

i just want to fast forward to the new coach and see what they can do with discipline and structure because those are the two things this team lacks more than anything, besides maybe heart.
In the bottom 6 at forward we lack talent; at 3 of the six D we lack talent too and the other 2 or 3 are raw; in goal we lack talent as well. We are right now where our roster about puts us. And yes we’ve not played a very organized or efficient team game either but let’s not flatter ourselves as to the strength of the roster. We have 3 or 4 top end guys (3 of whom are very light and one of whom is seriously hurt) and after that the talent level falls away very steeply.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
10-11 and 12-13 were both worse, IMO. Both those teams were assumed to be playoff locks just like almost every Devils team before them for nearly 20 years.
10-11 had one of the most exciting 2nd half runs i can remember.

12-13 was disappointing but kovy and brodeur got injured in a shortened season and parise had just left. even still they didn’t have the same level of expectations or the number of no shows this team has

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nico isn't the one to put that on if that's what you're trying to do. He's seems to be pretty much the only guy who hates to lose on this team.
I'm saying it doesn't seem like he's done much to hold anyone else accountable. He's the ultimate self-starter and beyond reproach for his own play but our supposed leadership - Nico, Mr. Stanley Cup (Palat) - also hasn't done a damn thing to curtail everyone else's nonsense unfortunately. We can't just pretend like it's ALL the coaches' faults, players have to have some agency for themselves too.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Good call I had forgot that. When did the pandemic hit - his year two maybe? Or was it three? The first serious injury was the 2d or 3d game of the season shoulder against Seattle right? Two seasons back. Then last year okay but with something. And now this. I just hope he gets back to baseline 100 percent and can avoid serious issues going forward. What’s ailing him now has really been serious. I’m still not sure it wasn’t a wrist or arm or hand, despite what they say. Because he seems to have no strength at all with his stick.
The pandemic hit in March of his rookie season (2019-20). He played every game that season. The next year he missed 1 game (I believe due to Covid before the team got shut down).

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
No way. 10-11 they put in a gutsy second half where they went from dead last in the conference to nearly being in the playoffs. The team itself was extremely likeable, that season's failure was completely on the coach who may be was the worst in the history of the league.

the 12-13 team was coming off a run to the Final and had lost Parise but still somehow managed to dominate possession against other teams despite having to ice CBGB as the third line. They lacked finish, sucked in the shootout, and their goaltending was weak...they did their best but it wasn't enough. Again, not that unlikeable.

This group is easily, easily, the most disappointing and unlikeable group of the last 20 years. The fact that such a distinction comes on the heels of a decade of futility and in the first year of having this core locked up long-term is...troubling to say the least.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
No way. 10-11 they put in a gutsy second half where they went from dead last in the conference to nearly being in the playoffs. The team itself was extremely likeable, that season's failure was completely on the coach who may be was the worst in the history of the league.

the 12-13 team was coming off a run to the Final and had lost Parise but still somehow managed to dominate possession against other teams despite having to ice CBGB as the third line. They lacked finish, sucked in the shootout, and their goaltending was weak...they did their best but it wasn't enough. Again, not that unlikeable.

This group is easily, easily, the most disappointing and unlikeable group of the last 20 years. The fact that such a distinction comes on the heels of a decade of futility and in the first year of having this core locked up long-term is...troubling to say the least.
Considering all the "talent" we have, this team has unequivocally been the most disappointing in the last 20 years for my money.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
'95-96 was pretty bad in terms of not living up to expectations but not as bad as this year only due to the reason they won the Cup the previous year.

'10-11 would have been worse if the first half had only been followed by a mediocre second half rather than a redemption arc that got them almost at .500 from like twenty games under

Reactions: guitarguyvic

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
'95-96 was pretty bad in terms of not living up to expectations but not as bad as this year only due to the reason they won the Cup the previous year.
Not to mention that was 28 years ago.

I can't think of a single season this century that I felt as disgusted about as this one. It's not just about the on-ice product. The response to what's happened, from the GM on down, has been completely and utterly rotten.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

The only more unlikable Devil team would be the 2019-20 team. 2021-22 also more unlikeable as that season basically ended in December.

I agree with you about 12-13. That was just a short season beset by injuries (Marty the first part and then Kovalchuk separating his shoulder to end any hope) and the loss of Zach.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah '12-13 shouldn't even be in the discussion unless we're talking most dissapointing offseasons lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad