Prospect Info: The Oiler 'What If...' Draft Thread

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Let's get ready to rumble. :D

It's Broberg v. Zegras (and the field).
Wallestedt v. Bourgault. Marc Pouliot v. Getlaf.
Steve Kelley v. Shane Doan

Why the Oilers failed in drafting the wrong guy. Go!

EDIT: From another thread...
Respectfully guys, the Broberg v Zegras (et all drafted after Broberg) has been done to death. This thread is about the Bako team and Oiler farm prospects. It would be nice to keep it on focus versus veering off to another tangent on an unending debate.

Maybe a separate thread, A Draft "What If" could be started to focus all the controversial draft decisions made by this team. The opinions are valid but really sidetrack many threads. Again, offered respectfully.

EDIT: Cleaned up spelling flub of Bourgault name.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
sooo we are now calling Broberg and Bourgealt the wrong guys? smh

Endless debate since the picks were made. Consistently comes up and veers many threads to rehash old decisions (Bakersfield Condors thread most recently). This is a dedicated thread to focus some of the descenting opinions of past Oilers draft decisions. The ones mentioned above are the most polarizing. Sooo...

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I'm just going to leave this thread in a hurry before it turns into a keyboard warrior competition.

Bye!

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Jesus.

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

In seriousness:
  1. Zegras does what for us? The common complaint isn't the top 6...so seemingly nothing.
  2. Getzlaf, I mean, lmao. I guess maybe are competitive in the early 2010's and don't get Hall (the lottery ball Mewtwo) so we don't get McDavid? But we probably win in 06 so maybe that's enough for everyone here to be happy (Hint - it isn't)
  3. Walls... so we have another goalie Tippett won't put on the ice for 4 years, cool. He already doesn't play skinner enough for people's liking, what do you think will happen to Walls when he's "ready" to make the jump half a decade from now...
  4. Doan. Nice loyalty player but is he putting us over the edge? Or is he just here for the golf courses? The guy spent his whole career in ARI out of the spotlight and simultaneously out of cup contention, while seemingly having no issues with that. Yeah, there's a premium target for Oil fanbase dystopia if there ever was one.
Any other weird and easily disprovable questions?

Reactions: Oilhawks and Oil53

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Both Broberg and Bourgeault are the wrong guys imo. Said it the moment the drafts happened, have not change my mind at all.

Of course we will only know the real answers 3 or 4 yeas from now.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Jesus.

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

In seriousness:
  1. Zegras does what for us? The common complaint isn't the top 6...so seemingly nothing.
Any other weird and easily disprovable questions?

We were forward poor and D prospect rich so we drafted broberg, we had to give a so so offenseive guy a massive long term deal this past off season to shore up the op 6, one of our 2nd line wingers, yamo sucks.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yakupov? Schremp?

Just kidding

I still like the broberg pick. I think zegras will be awesome too. I prefer the dman even though they take longer.

Bourgeault looks great but I'd love a blue chipper goalie in the prospect pool... Walstedt would've been my choice. Of course... He's a goalie so no guarantee he will be great. Timeline is also an issue.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wanted Dawson Mercer instead of Holloway.

I was happy enough with Holloway at the time tho since he was also a player in that range.

Holloways progress has been awesome and I am still very high on him but damn does Mercer look good centering NJD second line.

Edit: I of course wanted Zegras as well. Could you imagine adding Zegras and Mercer to this team. Wow that would be crazy. Probably too skill heavy but my lord we would be scoring at an even higher rate I believe.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Let's get ready to rumble. :D

It's Broberg v. Zegras (and the field).
Wallestedt v. Bourgealt. Marc Pouliot v. Getlaf.
Steve Kelley v. Shane Doan

Why the Oilers failed in drafting the wrong guy. Go!

EDIT: From another thread...
Respectfully guys, the Broberg v Zegras (et all drafted after Broberg) has been done to death. This thread is about the Bako team and Oiler farm prospects. It would be nice to keep it on focus versus veering off to another tangent on an unending debate.

Maybe a separate thread, A Draft "What If" could be started to focus all the controversial draft decisions made by this team. The opinions are valid but really sidetrack many threads. Again, offered respectfully.

We never drafted anyone by that name .The Bourgault guy we draft is pretty good . Also if you are going do the what if you need to subtract Petrov as the pick we use to pick him was part of the trade that sent Wallstedt pick to the Wild .

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think Zegras would have played for the Oilers. He grew up in the same neighborhood as the Trumps, he's a trust fund baby. A rich kid who's a top 10 pick can just refuse to sign forcing a trade or waiting to be a UFA. Defensemen take longer and Broberg is looking very impressive, far too early to call this debate anyways.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The most recent "what if" for me is picking Munzenberger over Olivier Nadeau.

Mainly because Munzenberger seems like a throwaway pick that needs a miracle to even become an AHL player with how far he needs to develop and it would have been cool to develop and bring up Bourgault and his line mate together.

Reactions: Anarchism

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't think Zegras would have played for the Oilers. He grew up in the same neighborhood as the Trumps, he's a trust fund baby. A rich kid who's a top 10 pick can just refuse to sign forcing a trade or waiting to be a UFA. Defensemen take longer and Broberg is looking very impressive, far too early to call this debate anyways.

I think this is an understated part of the draft pick. Zegras very likely would have f***ed off at the earliest opportunity. Swedes tend to be more loyal to the team that drafted them in general as well

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I simultaneously appreciate how Bourgault has looked while also wishing we had Wallstedt.

Granted pretty much every goalie that enters the system seems to not go anywhere.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We never drafted anyone by that name .The Bourgault guy we draft is pretty good . Also if you are going do the what if you need to subtract Petrov as the pick we use to pick him was part of the trade that sent Wallstedt pick to the Wild .

Glad you figured out the spelling mistake. Stuff happens. I'll correct in case anyone is ... confused. Some posters think an elite goalie prospect trumps a top six forward prospect and 90th pick which became (cut and paste) defenseman Luca Münzenberger.

Personally I wanted this team to draft an elite goaltending prospect with Cossa the guy I felt was a great fit and someone in the covid draft that the Oilers had great intel and tons of viewing on. When Wallstedt slipped, I felt he was similar elite pedigree and would have filled a longstanding organizational issue. Came off that reaction with seeing Bourgault in camp and reality this organization needs high quality cheap prospect talent to onboard the NHL team over the next two-three years with the Cap stalled . Forwards more than any other position make this transition quicker. Bourgault as a centre/winger delivers more positional versatility which I value highly and more of a shooter which I think this team also needs. Münzenberger is a long cook prospect defenseman who will be three to five years from gaging his NHL potential. A reach but by accounts this player had a solid U20 tournament for a German team that had some adversity with covid.

Reasonable organizational decision based on where they are in development - within a winning window, at cap threshold, and need for young quality forward talent to drag salary. I do think however that elite prospect goaltenders are undervalued.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We were forward poor and D prospect rich so we drafted broberg, we had to give a so so offenseive guy a massive long term deal this past off season to shore up the op 6, one of our 2nd line wingers, yamo sucks.

"D prospect rich", while like only two of them have made the jump? Having a high quantity of something doesn't make you rich if it turns out to just be a high quantity of pennies. This just seems like Leafs logic, acquire as many $8+ million forwards as possible and have the ghost of Spezza and Thornton in the bottom 6. Rather sign additional complimentary players for cheaper, now whether those savings get spent properly is a different conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad