The Official Teemu Pulkkinen Thread

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I've heard alot about him but I really haven't seen him. Can someone supply us with a scouting report based on his strenghts, weaknesses, play, etc?

Where do you think he is in the 2010 class?

Last edited by a moderator:

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
ISS Scouting Report:

"Talent way beyond his years, is 92 born, could be playing with U20 team, has a Crosby skill set, extremely strong on puck, carries the play, dictates the pace, great shot – hard and accurate, very quick release, always in motion, sees the ice at a professional level, decent size, in great shape, doesn’t quit, deceptively fast, great agility, makes defenders look like they have never skated before, seems to love being on the ice and in the game, cheers for every goal, did struggle somewhat in the defensive zone 5 on 5."

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Teemu Pulkkinen (5g, 3a) in 5 games and Tony Rajala(6g, 5a) in 5 games dominated at the U-17 challenge in London finishing 12th and 3rd respectively in scoring all tournament. Rajala is a likely top 5 in a very deep draft in 09 while Pulkkinen is a likely top 3 selection in the 2010 NHL entry draft.

Joretus

ok. well. thats usuall for finnish players. rajala played junior-B last year if im not mistaking...

Yes, Rajala played just one game with A-juniors last year. This year he has played majority of the season with A-juniors, just occasionally in B-juniors. And Pulkkinen has played just with B-juniors except game or two in C-juniors.

Pulkkinen should be playing here in couple of weeks, I'll be prolly get to look at him then.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Pulkkinen is a stud. I can't wait for him to make his impact in the NHL in a few years, but in any case, it's great to see the Fins producing some young talent, hopefully he continues to progress and not fall off.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

My little brother saw him. His hockey team went up to Canada to watch the U-17's and to play in a small tournament in Cobalt, Ontario, I haven't talked to him in a while because he left from Canada to Norway right away, I'll see what he thinks. He's very smart.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

What SM-Liiga team is he on? What are his season stats?

Joretus

What SM-Liiga team is he on? What are his season stats?

Jokerit(former team of players like Kari Lehtonen, Teemu Selänne, Valtteri Filppula and Sami Lepistö, etc.)

B-juniors had first qualifications for SM-sarja, where Pulkkinen had 20points(13+7) in 9 games. Since there is quite a big difference between best and worst teams in that stage those can be very onesided games.

Then now just in B-juniors SM-sarja he has 10+9(19pts) in 12 games. Guy who is same age as he is Mikael Granlund has 9+10(19pts) in 11 games. So both of them have played pretty well against 2y older players.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Wow... I want to see this kid play... My brother saw him when he was up in Canada to see the U-17's but then he left to Norway. I'll see what he thinks when he gets back Tuesday.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Alright I spoke to my little brother this morning at like 9 (it's like 4 over there then) and he was really excited about him.

He said he was very smart with the puck and if he couldn't find someone to get it to he'd keep it until someone got open. He said there was alot of maturity in his game with how he dealt with people hitting him or when they were down he wouldn't tustle. He also said he was a good skater, he was far more impressed with Rajala's skating but he said 'It was there but it was.. yeaaa...', he said he shot was the thing that stuck out the most. I couldn't really understand what he was telling me because he's got a rough American Accent when he speaks Finnish (and a semi-finnish accent when he does English) but I think he said he's good at masking when he's going to shoot so that the goalie is more suprised? I don't know why he said that. He had alot of fun watching players his age from his Country because he's always felt out of place. He was packing because he's flying back tomorrow... Or I guess tonight... (it's 10:20 there I think so I duno how that goes)

I'll see if he was able to get any good pix too of him and i'll post those.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Alright I spoke to my little brother this morning at like 9 (it's like 4 over there then) and he was really excited about him.

He said he was very smart with the puck and if he couldn't find someone to get it to he'd keep it until someone got open. He said there was alot of maturity in his game with how he dealt with people hitting him or when they were down he wouldn't tustle. He also said he was a good skater, he was far more impressed with Rajala's skating but he said 'It was there but it was.. yeaaa...', he said he shot was the thing that stuck out the most. I couldn't really understand what he was telling me because he's got a rough American Accent when he speaks Finnish (and a semi-finnish accent when he does English) but I think he said he's good at masking when he's going to shoot so that the goalie is more suprised? I don't know why he said that. He had alot of fun watching players his age from his Country because he's always felt out of place. He was packing because he's flying back tomorrow... Or I guess tonight... (it's 10:20 there I think so I duno how that goes)

I'll see if he was able to get any good pix too of him and i'll post those.

Pulkkinen has a weak slap shot?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I think he meant Pulkkinen is good at using the opposing player to screen the goalie, like shooting from the d-mans skates.

I have no clue, he's sleeping right now. He got back from the airport at 1am and missed school AGAIN today (hasen't attended since the 18th of December), he slept in until 3 and right now he's showering so I'll have him give me a nice overview of him. A bit more in detail and HOPEFULLY he used that camera I bought him ($350) to take pix of the game and Norway. We'll see though ;) 16 year olds are so different these days. So ingrateful (see the Australian thread in the Lounge)

From what I see he's probably going to be a Finnish Malkin.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
McKeen's posted its Team Finland scouting review for the U-17 tourney, and among the highlights on Pulkkinen:

"a sensationally gifted player whose hockey sense is off the charts"

"he employs a series of head fakes and body shifts to get by defenders even though his speed is merely average at this point"

"he likes to shoot and is a very gifted offensive player, as he often curls his stick blade making it almost impossible for a goalie to get a read on his actions"

"he stays with plays and follows them well in the neutral zone but he does not always come back as far as he should defensively"

"he should continue to get better with the increased competition he faces and should be a highly sought after prospect for many years to come."

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
So the question is: who's the better Finnish prospect?

Rajala or Pulkkinen?????

Well, here are some of their comments on Rajala:

"Slowly solidifying himself as one of the most dangerous offensive players for the 2009 draft, as he silently produces at every tournament he participates in and is leading his league in scoring"

"his offensive reads cannot be taught and when he has the puck 10 feet from the goal line, it usually results in a faceoff at centre ice"

"a better finisher than playmaker, he is not at his best when handling the puck"

"he can be selfish at times, taking shots just inside the zone when he crosses the blueline"

"he shows an interest and applies himself on the backcheck only when the puck is in his sights"

"his intensity wanes when the puck is not on his stick and he can be down right lazy at times"

"his offensive game is solid however, his lack of physical involvement cripples the type of game that is necessary to thrive at the NHL level"

"he needs to play with more urgency to be considered a top-10 selection next year."

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I was afraid of that for Rajala. I don't think McKeen knows the difference between selfishness and confidence though.

Joretus

"a better finisher than playmaker, he is not at his best when handling the puck"

"he shows an interest and applies himself on the backcheck only when the puck is in his sights"

"his intensity wanes when the puck is not on his stick and he can be down right lazy at times"

"his offensive game is solid however, his lack of physical involvement cripples the type of game that is necessary to thrive at the NHL level"

Others were right what I have seen in those 10+ games this season, but these aren't.

1)He is very good playmaker as well, I would compare him to Malkin(not talent wise, but playingwise) guy who can shoot well, but do makes some really nice passes time to time. And he is good with puck.

2)He does backcheck at least with quite nice intensity. Maybe it's a part true that he could do it better when puck is longer from him.

3)Surely not true, he is makin a lot effort without puck as well. Moving with speed to create space.

4)He does use his (small) body well and use it and can be physical, but obviously his lack of size&muscle are hindering his play.

Then again if it's the same scouting company which rated Nättinen over Rajala, then I'm not surprised about that kind of mistakes.

Have to see Pulkkinen more to compare Rajala&Pulkkinen, but had to correct those obvious flaws.

edit:Have to say what I have seen Rajala is one of those who are always giving team mates extra pads and trying to root them for better plays. Yes, he might be sometimes be selfish with the puck, but same you could say about allmost every top player in the world(Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Iginla, etcetc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad