TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XII

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
It's incredible. Ken Grant (The General) was an icon and ruled this city.

Growing up in Montreal, Terry Demonte ruled the airwaves. On the print side, no one dared look side ways at Saul (Red) Fisher.

Both Print and Radio are dead.

For the bulk of my life, nothing really changed. Things were added, but nothing was subtracted. The car and airplane have never been displaced. Dentists, Doctors and a whole host of societal members were unchanged. Improved, but not removed.

This is the first time in my life and the first time in some 110 years or so that we have seen a disappearance of a once prominent element of society. You have to go back to the horse and buggy being supplanted in the very early 1900.

Unreal, to imagine that local radio will disappear. And that newspapers have more or less done so.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Should get Stu to return as the PA announcer

I was told many moons ago that "your services are no longer required". Got a nice $$$ package to leave and also had a pension. It can be a good thing if you are ready financially and emotionally to stop working or to move on to something else (the latter is what I did).

It's incredible. Ken Grant (The General) was an icon and ruled this city.

Growing up in Montreal, Terry Demonte ruled the airwaves. On the print side, no one dared look side ways at Saul (Red) Fisher.

Both Print and Radio are dead.

For the bulk of my life, nothing really changed. Things were added, but nothing was subtracted. The car and airplane have never been displaced. Dentists, Doctors and a whole host of societal members were unchanged. Improved, but not removed.

This is the first time in my life and the first time in some 110 years or so that we have seen a disappearance of a once prominent element of society. You have to go back to the horse and buggy being supplanted in the very early 1900.

Unreal, to imagine that local radio will disappear. And that newspapers have more or less done so.
But, we now have the internet, podcasters, internet media, etc.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Honest question, is Irish Tommy still around?

The Drive played old clips from him this afternoon

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Any more word on the Barrehaven mass shooting?

Any motive.. 7 dead.. 2 kids !!!!

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Hate how 1200 consistently holds water for Sens management

They always says it's a great trade, beautiful return ect.

They need to be more critical of Sens management. Noticed they're only critical of Pierre Dorion once he left the organization, *** but while he was the main guy in charge** they Never called for his job, should be fired for missing the playoffs 6 years in a row. But now that he's not part of the Org they're constantly jabbing him.

Same for Return of Tarasenko

Holding water for Steve Staios " he had no other option"

"Did the best he could "

It's Okay to be critical.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Your writing is atrocious.

And Staois had too little leverage to be judged on the trade.
Little leverage ???

He had leverage on Tarasenko

He knows Tarasenko had to play in the playoffs to capitalize this summer...

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Hate how 1200 consistently holds water for Sens management

They always says it's a great trade, beautiful return ect.

They need to be more critical of Sens management. Noticed they're only critical of Pierre Dorion once he left the organization, *** but while he was the main guy in charge** they Never called for his job, should be fired for missing the playoffs 6 years in a row. But now that he's not part of the Org they're constantly jabbing him.

Same for Return of Tarasenko

Holding water for Steve Staios " he had no other option"

"Did the best he could "

It's Okay to be critical.
I don't think this is true at least not for JR. I think he was called out by fans for being too critical at times and this was when Dorion was the GM.

Do you not remember the interview that Simmer and Mendes had with Dorion?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Little leverage ???

He had Tarasenko like a sitting duck.

lol, Tarasenko was going to FLA or he'd stay. No leverage for the Sens.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Little leverage ???

He had Tarasenko like a sitting duck.

Like a sitting duck? Bad day to use a shooting simile.

Why does Tarasenko need to capitalize this summer? He's made close to 70 million over the course of his career and will be certainly signed by some team this summer.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Like a sitting duck? Bad day to use a shooting simile.

Why does Tarasenko need to capitalize this summer? He's made close to 70 million over the course of his career and will be certainly signed by some team this summer
True. I've adjusted it.

I guess my thought is Why would he not want more money?
The best way he can get this is playing in playoffs.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Once Eugene passed, TSN 1200 has become much more responsible and much more balanced in their reporting on/of the Sens.

Remember: Eugene threatened media guys. He allegedly used Ukrainian hackers (or some Eastern European hackers) to infiltrate another organization that criticized him.

In general, Eugene was a person you did not cross. And so TSN1200 had personnel to protect and team access to protect.

Per Ian Mendez. He wrote it in his article. The Sens had frozen him out.. This was Eugene.

From roughly 2010 to 2022, Ottawa media had to walk a fine line and watch itself.

It is different today, they are much freerier to comment. If you listen to the show from 6 AM to 8. It is much harder and harsher on the team.

From 8 to 10.. They go soft again. But that is more to do with young people listening. They go soft so that young fans are not constantly being bombarded by negative imagery and negative messaging. Young fans hero worship and do not want to be beaten down by overly negative commentary This is not from me, it is from JR who said it on air and from any of a 1000 different sources of papers on youth and youth psychology.

And beyond youth, there is societal health. Negative imagery can have a bad affect. It can injure human psyche. That is why, media needs to be "honest and truthful", all the while being "hopeful and positive".

There is no longer Water Carrying. What there is not? A need to overly rant and rave and create an overly negative environment.

I do not like JR. But the reality is, he has done a good job of creating balance.

Toady was unique. People need to listen to the Ben Maller show on FOX at 5 am. He addressed a media issues that I found profound.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Your writing is atrocious.

And Staois had too little leverage to be judged on the trade.
Staios could have NOT made the trade when he did and tried to do better as there was time left before the TDL.

If he could not do better, then he could have retained Tarasenko instead of getting 2 almost useless draft picks.

I wonder if Staios did this partially as a favour to Tara in the hope that he could sign him as a UFA in the summer. Time will tell.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Haven’t heard from him in years, I fear the worst…or he was smarter than all of us and realized this team of losers is not worth his time anymore
he sounded like a 70 plus year old.. So now add 20 years.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Haven't listened to TSN1200 morning since Simmer was let go. The timing coincided with me taking a late spring and summer off but I just never went back. I catch a bit of some pregame stuff occasionally and Dean and Gord a few times during games. The audio timing though (compared to cable) is way early on AM and FM 100 HD3 it's 10 seconds late. My car radio am is still set to 1200 but the few times I've turned it on for a few minutes around 10:30 am I get an American show. Looks like their summer schedule is permanent. Heard a bit of a 4-5 pm shows a few times when I tried to get some info on injuries and trades but the current hosts aren't to my liking so don't stay long. Didn't think I'd say this but I actually miss Lee.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
AJ,

what is Jake Paul famous for?

Check out his girlfriend.

The single hottest elite level Speed skater from the Netherlands. Jutta Leerdam.

OOOHHHHHWAAAHHHHH

Who care whether Tyson knocks him out, or he knocks out Tyson... Just show Jutta.. The 2026 Olympics cannot come soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad