The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
I think he says "eh" more. "Eh, eh, eh."

:laugh:

Does drinking while listening make Simmer more toleratable? If so maybe I should try it lol. I joined the blocked by Simmer club on twitter, all I did was questions on of his happ vibe quotes. I wasn't dispectful, just said it's easy to be have a happy vibe when you had a great life

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Does drinking while listening make Simmer more toleratable? If so maybe I should try it lol. I joined the blocked by Simmer club on twitter, all I did was questions on of his happ vibe quotes. I wasn't dispectful, just said it's easy to be have a happy vibe when you had a great life

Give it a go.

Or just like, don't listen if you can't stand him.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher mentioned John Wooden yesterday, next time someone at 1200 has him can you ask him for his reading list for coaches and athletes, he's all about team and leadership and it would be cool to know how our coach put his philosophy together.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
New Simmer drinking game - every time he uses the word "elevate", take a shot. Have a friend available to call 911, though, if you pass out from alcohol poisoning...

Or a drink whenever he starts his take with a high-pitched voice

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Hmmm going a little over the top with the pearl clutching over the PM's remarks which were clearly at least in part,tongue in cheek.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I really like Mendes and the Sens talk that's my dilemma. I personally just find his schitz to be tired and fake.

I'm in the same boat. I generally just turn down the volume whenever Simmer speaks, then bring it back up for Mendes. You learn to time it (Simmer generally blathers for 30-45 seconds or so, a minute tops before Mendes kicks in) so it works out. That said, Simmer has become a LOT better than he was; as long as he doesn't go on about pino or social stuff it's fine. He has reasonable opinions but I'd just prefer Lee most times.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
They were really good today I thought - playing off the callers.

The dude who said the only real fans are those who go to games...got some nice comments back...fave from Simmer about a life boat and knocking people away with a oar.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I generally just turn down the volume whenever Simmer speaks, then bring it back up for Mendes. You learn to time it (Simmer generally blathers for 30-45 seconds or so, a minute tops before Mendes kicks in) so it works out. That said, Simmer has become a LOT better than he was; as long as he doesn't go on about pino or social stuff it's fine. He has reasonable opinions but I'd just prefer Lee most times.

Lee argues just way too much.

I like Simmer because he has no alliance with the Senators thus he tells it like it is and isn't afraid to do so. We need more of that to have some sort of accountability with the organization

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Boucher mentioned John Wooden yesterday, next time someone at 1200 has him can you ask him for his reading list for coaches and athletes, he's all about team and leadership and it would be cool to know how our coach put his philosophy together.

The late great John Wooden of the UCLA Bruins back in the seventies where he had Lew Alcinder who changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar & Bill Walton was his backup centre in Jabbar's last yr & Walton's first yr. Pretty rare back then to have two 7' centres on one team, in fact, there weren't too many 7' centres in the NCAA. Today almost every team seems to have at least one.

It's kind of interesting how GB has translated a number of Basketball defences to hockey. 1-3-1 full court press, 2-1-2 zone defence, left or right side press. Maybe he will go for a box & 1 against Crosby. :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The late great John Wooden of the UCLA Bruins back in the seventies where he had Lew Alcinder who changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar & Bill Walton was his backup centre in Jabbar's last yr & Walton's first yr. Pretty rare back then to have two 7' centres on one team, in fact, there weren't too many 7' centres in the NCAA. Today almost every team seems to have at least one.

It's kind of interesting how GB has translated a number of Basketball defences to hockey. 1-3-1 full court press, 2-1-2 zone defence, left or right side press. Maybe he will go for a box & 1 against Crosby. :laugh:

May not be a terrible idea. I coached a team and used the Box + 1 against the first place team in the league who was stacked. It worked..

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama

Actually Walton and Alcindor never played together at UCLA. Walton is six years younger than Jabbar.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Actually Walton and Alcindor never played together at UCLA. Walton is six years younger than Jabbar.

You're right my mistake, I thought they played together but they were a few yrs apart. But didn't UCLA still win a number of NCAA titles in a row (10) somewhere around the time both those guys played? The Carleton Ravens here in Canada & in Ottawa are probably a close comparison winning 13 of the last 15 championship games. It's an incredible record for both.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
May not be a terrible idea. I coached a team and used the Box + 1 against the first place team in the league who was stacked. It worked..

I've played it against another team's best player specifically in a playoff format & I've had it played against me, you have to work twice as hard as everybody else to get any touches. I'm not sure how it would work in hockey, although we've seen what they call shadowing a player done before. I've played a lot of basketball yrs ago & have coached as well, great game & very physical at times. I'd have Pageau in Crosby's face all night long, constantly hacking him.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
You're right my mistake, I thought they played together but they were a few yrs apart. But didn't UCLA still win a number of NCAA titles in a row (10) somewhere around the time both those guys played? The Carleton Ravens here in Canada & in Ottawa are probably a close comparison winning 13 of the last 15 championship games. It's an incredible record for both.

I think they won something like 13 out of 16. I remember when Notre Dame beat them to end the streak at 88 wins in a row.

Even down here in Bama, I've heard of Carleton Ravens :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think they won something like 13 out of 16. I remember when Notre Dame beat them to end the streak at 88 wins in a row.

Even down here in Bama, I've heard of Carleton Ravens :)

Was that when Digger Phelps was their coach? Was Carr there star, I'm losing my recall of these things it was so long ago? And didn't they have a really good white guy?

Oh, btw, Carleton has beaten a couple of US NCAA teams which is saying something although it's usually in the summer before the season starts. I think they beat or went in overtime against the Wisconsin Badgers team that won the NCAA championship, (they did win right?) I can't remember if it was the summer before they won it or the summer afterwards.

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Was that when Digger Phelps was their coach? Was Carr there star, I'm losing my recall of these things it was so long ago? And didn't they have a really good white guy?

Oh, btw, Carleton has beaten a couple of US NCAA teams which is saying something although it's usually in the summer before the season starts. I think they beat or went in overtime against the Wisconsin Badgers team that won the NCAA championship, (they did win right?) I can't remember if it was the summer before they won it or the summer afterwards.

Digger was coach, and Adrian Dantley was the star. They later had Kelly Tripucka who did well for Detroit Pistons.

I stopped following hoops a few years back, lack of fundamentals was killing me.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Digger was coach, and Adrian Dantley was the star. They later had Kelly Tripucka who did well for Detroit Pistons.

I stopped following hoops a few years back, lack of fundamentals was killing me.

Kelly Tripuka I remember him, small forward who could really shoot. I remember Dantley too also a very good player. Thanks that was fun going down memory lane. Loved watching NCAA basketball back then & in fact, I think I have watched almost every NCAA Championship game for decades, love the tournament. Have a great weekend. :handclap:

Panic at the Back

Dec 5, 2005
Northern Bama
Kelly Tripuka I remember him, small forward who could really shoot. I remember Dantley too also a very good player. Thanks that was fun going down memory lane. Loved watching NCAA basketball back then & in fact, I think I have watched almost every NCAA Championship game for decades, love the tournament. Have a great weekend. :handclap:

You too. Would be pretty good if the Sens beat Pittsburgh. Just enjoyed the Preds v Ducks game.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hey TGOR, its gameday remember!

During the 7:00 hour maybe instead of time fillers, lets get some serious guests on the show. This is the conference finals, step up your game a little. Maybe the 60 second shootout can take a break for a week or two, I am sure the sponsors won't mind.

I would assume that a good majority of your potential listeners tune in between 7-8, so instead of trying to draw them in more listeners, we get to hear from the guy who won a lawnmower, someone trying to win a gift card on the 60 second shootout and some snippets about the Sens/Pens. Meanwhile, the Quiz on TSN690 has a round table discussion on the final 4.

Of course this is redundant, and I know I complain. All I am saying is that this fanbase deserves better. Its embarrassing.

The TGOR guys like to call out CBC for their horrible coverage, so have a back bone, look in the mirror and figure out how you can improve your product..!

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
This isn't a real gripe, but Pierre said Ottawa owes its win to the posts that Pittsburgh hit. Counting up posts is something the losing team always does, but Ottawa outplayed Pittsburgh soundly 5-on-5. I got the sense he's still seeing the game through his NBC goggles.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This isn't a real gripe, but Pierre said Ottawa owes its win to the posts that Pittsburgh hit. Counting up posts is something the losing team always does, but Ottawa outplayed Pittsburgh soundly 5-on-5. I got the sense he's still seeing the game through his NBC goggles.

Pierre and the rest of the world seem to forget that Ottawa hit quite 2 or 3 posts too.

Last edited:

WebNewfie

Nov 5, 2008
Pierre and the rest of the world seem to forget that Ottawa hit quite 2 or 3 posts too, but you know, no one on TGOR will mention that to him.

Except they did bring up that exact thing... It's fine to complain for the sake of complaining I guess but it's usually best to at least know what you're talking about

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Pierre and the rest of the world seem to forget that Ottawa hit quite 2 or 3 posts too, but you know, no one on TGOR will mention that to him.

Actually, JR did mention the Sens' posts as a counterpoint, seeming a bit skeptical on Pierre's take. Credit to JR. But Pierre just brushed him off, said a Pittsburgh goal would have changed the profile of the game. Of course it would, but he didn't seem to give Ottawa any credit to be able to score.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Except they did bring up that exact thing... It's fine to complain for the sake of complaining I guess but it's usually best to at least know what you're talking about

The boys in the studio weren't buying what Pierre was selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad