Prospect Info: The Official Oscar Klefbom thread: Does he make the team out of camp?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Swedish posters ... I'm wondering for those of you who have watched Klefa play (I really only got to see him at the WJC here in Edmonton/Calgary) does he normally play left side or right side?

He looked to be playing right side at the development camp judging from the video that one poster uploaded to youtube.

I had to think about this for a second but I am sure I've seen him play both sides several times without major difficulty. I could not say which side he is most comfortable on though.

The best one to answer this is probably SouthSwede who follows FBK more closely than most around here.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I had to think about this for a second but I am sure I've seen him play both sides several times without major difficulty. I could not say which side he is most comfortable on though.

The best one to answer this is probably SouthSwede who follows FBK more closely than most around here.

He was playing right side in WJC when paired with Brodin. From some of the highlights SouthSwe would post though it sure looked like he was playing left side for Farjestad.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
He was playing right side in WJC when paired with Brodin. From some of the highlights SouthSwe would post though it sure looked like he was playing left side for Farjestad.

Best way to tell is when he's lining up on the faceoff. Any shots of him doing that while playing for Farjestad? He does appear on the left side sometimes during the shifts from the camp scrimmage, mostly because he's skating over to cover or naturally from the development of the play. He eventually ends up on the right side and always lines up there.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
The next Swedish Superstar yes but I've never heard anyone saying he's gonna be better than Brodin.
Brodin has always been the better player and the bigger talent up until the WJC when Sweden won the gold, that's when Klefa finally took a solid spot in Färjestads roster. It was as if he realised how good he actually is and since then the Klefa/Brodin been about 50/50 regarding who's the bigger talent.

Brodin then had his success with the national team in the WC and yet again were the player with the brightest future of the two, with all kind of praise from coaches and players.

When Bacon left for Minnesota Klefbom stayed in Färjestad for another year, bulking up and getting a bigger role in the defense.
Up until his injury in the 13th game, he was by far Färjestads best player and SEL's best Dman, not only by my opionion but almost all journalist and such.

He probably wud have been even better if he had been able to play the whole season but there is no doubt at all that he still is ready to play NHL hockey this season.

Still I've never heard anyone(players, coaches, fans, journalists) say he's gonna be better than Brodin, they have always been very equal with Brodin always abit ahead due to performance, but at the same time I don't know who u've been talking to.

I have spoken to many people inside the shl and both Brodin and klefa is highly regarded, a couple hold brodin higher but klefa was ahead for the majority of them.

The biggest reason when i add all their opinions is that klefa is likely best suited to the Nhl, he is big and so enormous strong and still a good skater, a leader on and off ice and he has also potentional offensive skills.

Brodin is a great talent, very mobile and great stickhandling always find position on ice. The minus is that he hasnt the right weight around the boards and seems a bit weak. Of course he can gain some weight and get stronger but maybe on the expense of his mobility.

He had a great rookieseason sheltered by Suter, only the time will give us the answers who will be the better one.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Best way to tell is when he's lining up on the faceoff. Any shots of him doing that while playing for Farjestad? He does appear on the left side sometimes during the shifts from the camp scrimmage, mostly because he's skating over to cover or naturally from the development of the play. He eventually ends up on the right side and always lines up there.

It is still both sides. I sent a message to SouthSwede telling him to come over here and straighten things out :).

I will go look for some pictures/videos now

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
I have spoken to many people inside the shl and both Brodin and klefa is highly regarded, a couple hold brodin higher but klefa was ahead for the majority of them.

The biggest reason when i add all their opinions is that klefa is likely best suited to the Nhl, he is big and so enormous strong and still a good skater, a leader on and off ice and he has also potentional offensive skills.

Brodin is a great talent, very mobile and great stickhandling always find position on ice. The minus is that he hasnt the right weight around the boards and seems a bit weak. Of course he can gain some weight and get stronger but maybe on the expense of his mobility.

He had a great rookieseason sheltered by Suter, only the time will give us the answers who will be the better one.

I'm both an Oiler and FBK fan and there is no doubt in my mind that Brodin is the bigger talent. And I havn't really heard that many people except other Oiler fans that would pick Klefbom ahead of Brodin. Both are ofcourse of great quality. It was a stretch of games where I thought Klefbom played better than Brodin but not that many.

I also watched 15 ish wild games this year just to see how Brodin fared... and it is very wrong to say that he was sheltered by Suter. He played just as well when he wasn't paired with Suter.

Who is the best? It is probably what style of D.man that you will like. Calm vs. fire. They are playing so differently... Brodin has mobility and IQ vs. Klefboms strength and shot and good skating aswell. Brodin lacks a bit strength and high end speed but his decission making is top notch. Klefbom on the other hand to have better strength and shot "tools" but he his decissionmaking is far from Brodins level. Klefbom has also missed alot of time due to different injuries/cold.

It will be very very interesting to follow both of these guys and their careers.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm both an Oiler and FBK fan and there is no doubt in my mind that Brodin is the bigger talent. And I havn't really heard that many people except other Oiler fans that would pick Klefbom ahead of Brodin. Both are ofcourse of great quality. It was a stretch of games where I thought Klefbom played better than Brodin but not that many.

I also watched 15 ish wild games this year just to see how Brodin fared... and it is very wrong to say that he was sheltered by Suter. He played just as well when he wasn't paired with Suter.

Who is the best? It is probably what style of D.man that you will like. Calm vs. fire. They are playing so differently... Brodin has mobility and IQ vs. Klefboms strength and shot and good skating aswell. Brodin lacks a bit strength and high end speed but his decission making is top notch. Klefbom on the other hand to have better strength and shot "tools" but he his decissionmaking is far from Brodins level. Klefbom has also missed alot of time due to different injuries/cold.

It will be very very interesting to follow both of these guys and their careers.

Agreed... But which side does he prefer?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
The reason I brought up left side/right side in the first place was because I think most of us had envisioned a future pairing of Klefa - Schultz

But if Klefa prefers to play right side then that would split that pairing up (which isn't a bad thing IMO)
Future top 4 of
Smid-Schultz
Marincin-Klefa ?

Good mix of stalwart Dman with puck moving offensively minded Dman on both top pairs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The reason I brought up left side/right side in the first place was because I think most of us had envisioned a future pairing of Klefa - Schultz

But if Klefa prefers to play right side then that would split that pairing up (which isn't a bad thing IMO)
Future top 4 of
Smid-Schultz
Marincin-Klefa ?

Good mix of stalwart Dman with puck moving offensively minded Dman on both top pairs.

I would almost say

Klefa - Schutlz
Marincin - Petry
Smid - Musil

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
IMO he is better on the left side. But he has played both sides. Don't know how he played in FBKs U18 though.

Thanks.

I went back to game reports and in the sample I chose (11 games from this season + 11 games from last season) he was listed as LD 10 times and RD 12 times...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
i've been measured anywhere between 190 cm (6'3) to 196 cm (6'5) over last 5 years, results may vary greatly because of daytime (you may be up to an inch taller when you get up opposed to when you go to sleep), also many other things may kick in.

Makes sense if they are measuring their shadows . Next one will be 8 feet tall :sarcasm:

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Thanks.

I went back to game reports and in the sample I chose (11 games from this season + 11 games from last season) he was listed as LD 10 times and RD 12 times...

I find this very interesting.
I think most of us saw him as a LD, but if he prefers to play RD it could change things significantly.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I find this very interesting.
I think most of us saw him as a LD, but if he prefers to play RD it could change things significantly.

There are people who know this better than I but it seems to me from watching who he's played with that he'll basically take the side the other doesn't want (Brodin RD - Klefa LD or Lindstrom LD - Klefa RD), and his play does not seem to suffer from it... I didn't see other D-men on that team that change as much as he does.

Oh, and I didn't go back so far looking since I wanted to see where he played when he was arguably one of the top d-men on his team (i.e. spring 2012 and fall 2013).

Development camp is one thing but I think we'll see where he's slotted in during TC.

SouthSwe

Sep 26, 2009
Karlstad
We do quite often change our d pairings in Färjestad and because Klefa and Brodin can play on both sides it's quite easy to just place them wherever there is a hole.
The older D's prefers to play on the side they have played for many years so Klefbom and Brodin gets the other side as Lagu said.

Oscar is used to swap sides from game to game or even shift to shift so I doubt that will be a problem in the NHL.

Sloth Slothersons*

We do quite often change our d pairings in Färjestad and because Klefa and Brodin can play on both sides it's quite easy to just place them wherever there is a hole.
The older D's prefers to play on the side they have played for many years so Klefbom and Brodin gets the other side as Lagu said.

Oscar is used to swap sides from game to game or even shift to shift so I doubt that will be a problem in the NHL.

You are so wise SouthSwe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2