The official off-season thread

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I was going to post this in the trades thread we have, but figured we could have a discussion about it in a separate thread since Staple's recent article is more than just potential moves. I took some notes of the main points he made. Definitely a more aggressive Staple regarding going after Snow, Weight, and ownership. If anybody else wants to add on my list feel free to.

1.) All the employees who wanted to draft Duchene are now former employees.

2.) Malkin has met with Brisson multiple times, and even brought Brisson on board when he went to meet with Bettman. Goes to LA to meet with Brisson as well.

3.) Ownership kept Snow in charge and made Weight head coach because of relationship with Tavares, however Snow has not been talking deal with Tavares.

4.) #3 begs the question as to why Snow was kept if he was not going to negotiate the deal with Tavares. Seems as if ownership is doing that. This is my own personal thought, not one brought up by Staple.

5.) Snow's seat has never been hotter than before, he should've done more according to Staple.

6.) The system Weight employed was kept the same after CdH and Boychuk got hurt. He felt it wouldn't be as big of a blow. The sad thing is that he changed the system in February and honestly the team has been worse since then.

7.) Toews would not have been the answer to a Boychuk injury, only a vet would have been. Seems Staple threw Snow under the bus there.

8.) This is a very interesting situation. Staple says JHS SHOULD be treated differently then other players and was playing through an injury in January. He feels that Isles should have taken advantage of his skill since their bottom six had been non existent.

9.) Biggest area to fix is the PK.

10.) Paints the goaltender situation pretty bleak. Brings up Soderstrom and Jimmy Howard as potential additions.

11.) Says sitting Aho was the wrong move, team could've used him.

12.) Says ownership cannot disappear when the going gets tough (Snow billboards). Talks about team needing an attitude change and emphasis on defense.

13.) For those questioning Belmont actually happening (you know who you are), Staple says it is the "biggest win in ages".

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I read the full article earlier. Staple isn't wrong about anything here.

I can't understand of the life of me why anyone would want to draft Duchene over JT. I can understand the rationale behind drafting Hedman over JT, but not Duchene. As for the JT situation, the Isles have screwed this up from the start. JT isn't running things, the Isles are. We were out of it by the deadline. They needed a firm answer from him then on whether or not he plans on testing the FA waters, or if he's going to sign on the dotted line. Missing the playoffs, not trading JT, and losing him to FA (and retaining snow) is the worst reality for this franchise, and it appears as though that is exactly what will happen. This is 100% on the owners. They botched it, plain and simple.

Goaltending needs to be improved dramatically for next year. I could be wrong, but has Halak or Greiss stolen a single game for us all year long? I completely understand that given a better defensive system, the goaltending would be better. Afterall, facing 40+ shots every night is going to wear on any goalie.

It appears as though our initial opinion about Weight was correct. Few of us wanted him when Capuano was still around. But he had success and then we all said ok to him being the coach moving forward. But we were all wrong after that initial success. Weight has been pretty abysmal to be honest.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Snow is not the man who is going to push this team over the top. He has been far too timid, and he accepts injuries as an excuse for his lousy roster construction. All in all, we went from a bottom tier laughingstock of a franchise under MM to a sometimes bubble playoff team, all while having the best player on the roster since Turgeon. Simply put, this is the best he can do, and a change has to be made. Even if it means losing JT. Honestly, I'd rather lose JT and have someone else build the team moving forward, than have 8 more years of the status quo. Hopefully, we get to keep JT & get a new GM.

The silence from the ownership is awful. When you are the NY Islanders and we have such limited press coverage as it is, to hide and remain silent is inexcusable. Zero accountability throughout the entire organization. With the exception of getting a deal done that will give the team a permanent home, Malkin/Ledecky are no better than Wang.

Reactions: 12Dog

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I found this article by Staple to be rather meaty for what we typically get in Islander land.

I was honestly shocked to see how much Malkin was involved in the Tavares process
(was under the impression that he was more of the backseat owner of the two) and now that Staple has shed more light on the situation, it leaves me more worried about the competitveness of this franchise going forward.

Staple said that Ledecky spoke to roughly 40 people around the league regarding a President Hockey Ops role and that the owners decided to keep the status quo as a tactic to keep Tavares, but never made any formal offers to Tavares either. It just screams incompetence and they let Tavares hold this franchise hostage for the past year.

As owners, YOU dictate who is leading the hockey side of the business, not one player (no matter how good they are). I think L&M royally f***ed up this whole situation and I’m generally not sure if I’ll be able to stay invested in this team depending on what happens in the inevitable announcements next week.

Reactions: xECK29x and SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is snow being instructed to NOT negotiate wound Tavares and let the owners handle it? I’m confused

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That seems to be the case, yes.

Kind of looks like incompetence in the owners part of you ask me. If the reason for keeping snow is to help keep to Tavares because of their relationship Then why not let your GM negotiate the contract? Unless they believe snow will give him too friendly of a deal and they want to try and bargain it. Either way this whole thing is weird

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Kind of looks like incompetence in the owners part of you ask me. If the reason for keeping snow is to help keep to Tavares because of their relationship Then why not let your GM negotiate the contract? Unless they believe snow will give him too friendly of a deal and they want to try and bargain it. Either way this whole thing is weird

It's likely that they want a direct line of communication with him, so they know exactly what he wants. They could keep Snow to appease Tavares even if they don't let him handle the negotiation. If Tavares trusts Snow to make the necessary moves to make the team a winner, then that helps re-signing him, even if Snow isn't directly involved in the negotiations.

Strange that they are operating this way, because it tells me that they don't trust Snow and are only willing to keep him around in order to sign Tavares. If Tavares goes, I imagine Snow will follow shortly (perhaps one more season) after.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's likely that they want a direct line of communication with him, so they know exactly what he wants. They could keep Snow to appease Tavares even if they don't let him handle the negotiation. If Tavares trusts Snow to make the necessary moves to make the team a winner, then that helps re-signing him, even if Snow isn't directly involved in the negotiations.

Strange that they are operating this way, because it tells me that they don't trust Snow and are only willing to keep him around in order to sign Tavares. If Tavares goes, I imagine Snow will follow shortly (perhaps one more season) after.

I think Snow is fine either way. Just waiting until
The JT situation is resolved.

The reports of Malkin meeting with Brisson aren’t new news. It was reported a while back. So you have to figure the owners have a good sense of where Tavares camp stands. We just better hope they feel confident that he will stay. Otherwise, why keep him past the deadline?

Obviously we don’t know the specifics of the meetings with Brisson, some speculated that it might not even have had anything to do with Tavares. If it did however have to do with Tavares future I hope Malkin and Ledecky got a clear picture and the information they needed.

A lot will be answered by Tavares weather he stays or goes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is snow being instructed to NOT negotiate wound Tavares and let the owners handle it? I’m confused

Isn't that the opposite of what Ledecky said they'd do as owners when they first took over? That they'd leave those kinds of things to the GM?

Not saying they *should* leave the running of the franchise to Snow, but at the same time, either they have faith in their GM to run the hockey Ops or they don't. Seems like the owners are a bit all over the map when it comes to how things should be run.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isn't that the opposite of what Ledecky said they'd do as owners when they first took over? That they'd leave those kinds of things to the GM?

Not saying they *should* leave the running of the franchise to Snow, but at the same time, either they have faith in their GM to run the hockey Ops or they don't. Seems like the owners are a bit all over the map when it comes to how things should be run.

Moral of the story, read between the lines.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I was
1.) All the employees who wanted to draft Duchene are now former employees.

3.) Ownership kept Snow in charge and made Weight head coach because of relationship with Tavares, however Snow has not been talking deal with Tavares.

8.) This is a very interesting situation. Staple says JHS SHOULD be treated differently then other players and was playing through an injury in January. He feels that Isles should have taken advantage of his skill since their bottom six had been non existent.

13.) For those questioning Belmont actually happening (you know who you are), Staple says it is the "biggest win in ages".

If Tavares bolts, then keeping Snow and Weight did not make a difference and at least the organization can move on from Snow and Weight.

I am a little confused about Staple's JHS comment. Whem he says JHS should have been treated differently, is he saying not to focus so much on the turnovers because the bottom 6 was so ineffective the isles needed JHS skill, more them they needed to press him about defense and turnovers?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I believe the exact quote was “ coaches coach, GMs GM, and Owners own”

Maybe it was just a smokescreen. This whole thing is confusing.

Tavares is always a robot but he isn’t acting like someone who’s playing their last games as an islander. His last home game he didnt make specifically special or wave and thank fans. Even as just the last home game of the season type thing UFA status aside.

Someone asked him tonight if he thought about it being his possible last game as an islander and he just said “nope business as usual”

This whole thing is really weird. I don’t know what to think.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If Tavares bolts, then keeping Snow and Weight did not make a difference and at least the organization can move on from Snow and Weight.

I am a little confused about Staple's JHS comment. Whem he says JHS should have been treated differently, is he saying not to focus so much on the turnovers because the bottom 6 was so ineffective the isles needed JHS skill, more them they needed to press him about defense and turnovers?

Even if Tavares signs, is ownership expected to keep Snow/Weight around for next year? I hope not but I can easily see that happening.

I believe what Staple is alluding to is that considering how bad the Islanders were regarding turnovers it was a little questionable to blame it on Ho Sang considering everybody was turning the puck over and playing bad defense. In an attempt to teach Ho Sang a lesson the Isles became a worse team and the third line was missing a key component because they did not have Ho Sang. Notice that I do not believe Staple is of the opinion that they needed Ho Sang there specifically, but rather if they wanted to send Ho Sang down they needed another skill player in that role which they did not immediately have.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The silence from the ownership is awful. When you are the NY Islanders and we have such limited press coverage as it is, to hide and remain silent is inexcusable. Zero accountability throughout the entire organization. With the exception of getting a deal done that will give the team a permanent home, Malkin/Ledecky are no better than Wang.
I'm kinda hoping the silence ends up being a good thing.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Nothing new here. But I woukdnt trust staples opinion that Snow is here to make JT happy. Snow is a loser. Is JT a loser? If Jt wants to surround himself with other losers...all who are really bad at their job like weight....then JT is certainly not a WINNER. Winners dont asociate with losers just cause they hate pressure. Im starting to wonder if JT is a loser. I hope snow is here because his best bud Wang would be a headache of a minority owner if you make him unhappy. The headache from fans for keeping snow is likely less then the headache wang would create.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm kinda hoping the silence ends up being a good thing.

Botta (and yes I know some take him with a grain of salt) said recently the owners were still mulling over what to do regarding the front office.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

He’s basically saying that Ho-Sang’s turnovers should have been overlooked based on how poorly the botton six was offensively. Guys like Ladd and Nelson’s offense was completely dry on the third line, and in Staple’s opinion the prospect of Ho-Sang playing with them outweighed his defensive play.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I like this version if Staple. Keep us informed please!

The goaltending piece is a big one. A Howard Greiss tandem is a lateral move. Hopefully they’ll play behind a system that supports them better. I like the proposals of a trade for Graubaur or Saroos.

Agreed about JHS.

Like that Snow is in the hot seat, let tonight be his last game as an NYI GM.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure it's been said before, but if JT wants to keep Snow, then what does that say about JT other than he's loyal? It doesn't make him look very smart. I don't mean to bash on JT, but come on, he has to be smart enough to know that Snow is not the GM that is going to build a cup contender.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'm sure it's been said before, but if JT wants to keep Snow, then what does that say about JT other than he's loyal? It doesn't make him look very smart. I don't mean to bash on JT, but come on, he has to be smart enough to know that Snow is not the GM that is going to build a cup contender.

Yeah not the type of loyalty we need...be loyal to the organization and the fanbase, not a person. He can leave and hopefully bring his buddy with him

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I agree.

Love JT, but if he’s that addicted to the koolaid, then hoo boy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad