Movies: The Official "Movie of the Week" Club Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
It's Such A Beautiful Day is the story of Bill, a stick figure man going through a rough time. He's already broken up with his girlfriend and he's dealing with a mental disorder which has him in and out of hospitals, bouncing from doctor to doctor and on all sorts of meds. His family seems to have a history of mental illness, disease and tragedy, especially run-ins with trains. His mother dies. He is reunited with the father who abandoned the family when he was young, but neither recognizes the other. Despite the heavy subject matter It's Such A Beautiful Day isn't a tearjerker, in fact it's not particularly sad. It's enlightening. I'd recommend it to anyone but especially to those who have loved ones dealing with terminal illnesses.

Despite Bill's stick-figure world, It's Such A Beautiful Day isn't just 62 minutes of cheap animation. The stick figures themselves are roughly drawn and seem to be constantly vibrating which give them a greater sense of being alive. Plus a lot of tricks in the animator's bag get pulled out to keep things interesting visually. "Interesting" at the very least...it is often dazzling and wondrous, applying avant-garde techniques (but I personally wouldn't call it avant-garde, mainly because I diddn't find it incomprehensible!) It's Such A Beautiful Day expresses Bill's dreams, memories, hallucinations and, after being told he hasn't long to live, a new perspective on life.

Bill dies at the end. This isn't really a spoiler because, well, his death isn't really the end. It's just a precondition to achieving immortality.

P.S.: props to @Rodgerwilco for the recommendation!
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
It looks like The Goalkeeper's Anxiety of the Penalty Kick is widely unavailable. So if no one objects I will change my next pick to Luchino Visconti's Death in Venice (1971).

Too bad, that would have been a good "FIFA World Cup" pick. World Cup will be over by the time my next pick comes around but I'll go with something with a soccer angle anyway and choose Bill Forsythe's Gregory's Girl.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
It's Such A Beautiful Day is the story of Bill, a stick figure man going through a rough time. He's already broken up with his girlfriend and he's dealing with a mental disorder which has him in and out of hospitals, bouncing from doctor to doctor and on all sorts of meds. His family seems to have a history of mental illness, disease and tragedy, especially run-ins with trains. His mother dies. He is reunited with the father who abandoned the family when he was young, but neither recognizes the other. Despite the heavy subject matter It's Such A Beautiful Day isn't a tearjerker, in fact it's not particularly sad. It's enlightening. I'd recommend it to anyone but especially to those who have loved ones dealing with terminal illnesses.

P.S.: props to @Rodgerwilco for the recommendation!
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Pal. It's one of my favorite movies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It’s Such a Beautiful Day
Hertzfeldt (2012)
“It’s kinda a really nice day.”

Bill is depressed. Bill is maybe going crazy. Bill is probably dying. Bill has bad genes. Bill’s family is a mess. Bill is getting better. Bill gets worse. Bill is alone. Bill’s life is mundane. Bill forgets things. Bill’s body begins to fail him. Bill gets better. Bill gets worse. Bill maybe dies. Bill could be a god.

Don Hertzfeldt’s It’s Such a Beautiful Day chronicles the life of Bill, an ordinary man whose life is turned upside down by illness as his body and mental state collapse from an unnamed malady. That’s an awful dour logline, but the 60-minute animated film is anything but. The seemingly rudimentary animation belies a much more profound experience. Bill’s a more fully formed character (despite his basic line-drawn nature) than actual flesh-and-blood actors in many a movie. His journey is sad and moving, crossing space and time and winding up in a beautiful place. The fish growing out of my skull is tempted to call it a little hokey, but I think that’s just a delusion.

Despite the serious nature, it’s also a darkly, dryly, deadpan funny experience with artfully timed voice over deliveries like, “She died of Yellow Fever … And catching on fire.” Or there’s the story of his half-brother Randall, a boy with physical and mental disabilities who dies after chasing a gull into the ocean. “The other kids were surprised he could run that fast.” The section covering Bill’s rather disjointed and dysfunctional family is loaded with twisted laughs.

It’s like if Aki Kaurismaki and Terrence Malick decided to make an animated movie.

It’s Such a Beautiful Day is a constant collage of sights and sounds. Early on there’s a sequence where Bill watches a boxing match on tv, ponders a calendar with a manatee on it and calls his girlfriend. While each act is in its own box, the sounds meld and blend into an unintelligible audio soup. As Bill’s state declines, the animation and sound gets fuzzier and fuzzier, drawing the viewer in to his plight. Occasionally such breaks are then broken by moments of calm or silence. One particularly profound one is upon receiving the doctor’s prognosis. When the noise calms, Bill sits alone on the table, removes his hat and scratches his head.

I feel you Bill, I really do.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
images-w1400.png

It's Such a Beautiful Day
(2010) Directed by Don Hertzfeldt

It's Such a Beautiful Day is a deadpan character study of Bill, an unexceptional man who has lived a life mainly defined by dysfunction--society's, his family's, his own--who somehow muddles through, though not exactly gracefully. The animation is both startlingly basic in the main but wonderfully abstract and imaginative around the edges, providing oodles of atmosphere and a kind of offbeat commentary. Bill is little more than a stick figure with a hat, but he has a lot of personality with him being primarily a stoic at heart. His life is sad, absurd, ordinary, though as he ages, he begins to cotton on to important things just as the lights are beginning to go out. He goes from being simple to complex to perhaps a symbol of eternal consciousness. He is an existential Every Man, remarkable primarily for the fact that he is alive in a universe that shouldn't exist at all. Life may be bleak, unpredictable and perverse, but there are simple pleasures to be had, too, just by becoming attuned to one's own senses.

It's Such a Beautiful Day using simple devices manages to strike a chord. The hour long film seems to have found the pulse of something important, something even profound, about the human condition. The overall approach reminded me a bit of Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot, itself a mixture of absurdity, despair, humour, and humanity--although this short feature adds a note of transcendence that Beckett doesn't offer. Director Don Hertzfeldt has a nice touch getting at the nature of things. For instance, the gradual loss of one's memory has seldom been presented more evocatively and sadly than it is here. Bill's memories, one's that have defined his life, become ephemeral and untrustworthy and eventually fade entirely--lost in the ether of mental disintegration. Hertzfeldt has a lot to say about life; to me, most of it rang intuitively true. Reduced to essentials, he explores how the inevitability of death shapes our lives and underscores how that eventuality is the most daunting and fearful of all realities, perhaps more so for those who never really caught much of a break along the way. Bill will stick in my mind for a very long time.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It’s Such a Beautiful Day
Hertzfeldt (2012)
“It’s kinda a really nice day.”

Bill is depressed. Bill is maybe going crazy. Bill is probably dying. Bill has bad genes. Bill’s family is a mess. Bill is getting better. Bill gets worse. Bill is alone. Bill’s life is mundane. Bill forgets things. Bill’s body begins to fail him. Bill gets better. Bill gets worse. Bill maybe dies. Bill could be a god.

Don Hertzfeldt’s It’s Such a Beautiful Day chronicles the life of Bill, an ordinary man whose life is turned upside down by illness as his body and mental state collapse from an unnamed malady. That’s an awful dour logline, but the 60-minute animated film is anything but. The seemingly rudimentary animation belies a much more profound experience. Bill’s a more fully formed character (despite his basic line-drawn nature) than actual flesh-and-blood actors in many a movie. His journey is sad and moving, crossing space and time and winding up in a beautiful place. The fish growing out of my skull is tempted to call it a little hokey, but I think that’s just a delusion.

Despite the serious nature, it’s also a darkly, dryly, deadpan funny experience with artfully timed voice over deliveries like, “She died of Yellow Fever … And catching on fire.” Or there’s the story of his half-brother Randall, a boy with physical and mental disabilities who dies after chasing a gull into the ocean. “The other kids were surprised he could run that fast.” The section covering Bill’s rather disjointed and dysfunctional family is loaded with twisted laughs.

It’s like if Aki Kaurismaki and Terrence Malick decided to make an animated movie.

It’s Such a Beautiful Day is a constant collage of sights and sounds. Early on there’s a sequence where Bill watches a boxing match on tv, ponders a calendar with a manatee on it and calls his girlfriend. While each act is in its own box, the sounds meld and blend into an unintelligible audio soup. As Bill’s state declines, the animation and sound gets fuzzier and fuzzier, drawing the viewer in to his plight. Occasionally such breaks are then broken by moments of calm or silence. One particularly profound one is upon receiving the doctor’s prognosis. When the noise calms, Bill sits alone on the table, removes his hat and scratches his head.

I feel you Bill, I really do.
Lovely review. That Kaurismaki/Malick line is spot on.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
DeathInVenice+summer+019.jpg

Death in Venice
(1971) Directed by Luscino Visconti

Death is Venice, based on Thomas Mann's novella, is a movie that could easily be misunderstood in this day and age. Many viewers could presumably see it as a kind of gay, tortured Lolita what with a much older man enthralled by a young adolescent, even to the point of stalking him and his family. But that would miss the point of Mann's work completely. Gustav Aschenbach (Dirk Bogarde in a commanding performance) is a classical music composer of such rigorous standards that his best friend Alfred accuses Aschenbach of excluding feeling in his search for artistic perfection. Aschenbach's rigid standards extend to his morality for he believes that to create his art, his conduct must be exemplary and restrained, that being a minimum condition for creating something pure. As Alfred tells him, "For you, every slip is a fall, a catastrophe" and chides Gustav that he has succeeded in his music of only abstracting the senses, not embracing them. Alfred scoffs at the notion that art is the least concerned with morality. He sees his friend's quest for perfection as essentially inhuman.

On an enforced vacation to Venice because of his ill health, Gustav plans only to rest. However, by chance, he observes Tadzio, a boy of surpassing beauty, who is in his early teens. He and his mother and several sisters are staying at the same hotel as Gustav. Initially against his own will, Gustav slowly becomes ever more attracted to Tadzio, who represents to the composer an ideal of beauty that completely breaks down Gustav's carefully structured sense of morality and propriety. Suddenly he has allowed his feelings to overwhelm him. Combined with his frailty due to his heart affliction, he begins to lose control. It is as though in the face of such natural perfection, everything he once believed as an artist and a man is turned topsy turvy. For his part, the boy is curious about the old man, perhaps even a bit of a tease, but at no time does he suspect the depth of Gustav's feelings. When Gustav realizes that cholera is spreading in Venice, he beseeches Tadzio's mother to leave the city, and she prepares to do so. By this time, thoroughly detached from his moorings, Gustav allows himself to be groomed in such a way that he looks grotesque, a sad parody of his lost youth and his lost ideals. Watching Tadzio from afar one last time, he is made distraught when the boy wrestles with a friend. Finally, he dies on his beach chair and is unceremoniously carted off the beach. He has found perfection, but he has tragically underrated the power of his own feelings.

The movie makes two principle changes from the novella. First Gustav is transformed from a writer to a music composer. This is a brilliant move because it allows Gustav's music to underscore the emotions of the movie. Mahler's 3rd and 5th symphonies are used as accompaniments to the drama, and the gorgeous music evokes the depth of Gustav's tragedy, setting a mood that is reinforced by the equally gorgeous cinematography. Director Luscino Visconti sets the tone right away, starting the movie with an establishing shot, almost a minute and a half long, of a steamer sailing into the Venice harbour as a dark purple dawn just begins to break across the sky. The visual beauty, the absence of language, the unhurried pace all lay the groundwork for the presentation of the downfall that is to come. (Visconti is one of the fathers of neo-realism, some arguing that his La Terra Trema was the very first work of neo-realism in Italian cinema. He is a long way from his roots here--Death in Venice is a stately, elegaic, sumptuous work that more closely resembles "slow" cinema than neo-realism. Indeed, I think it is among the most beautiful movies to look at ever made).

The second major change in the novella that Visconti makes is to include conversations between Alfred and Gustav that don't exist in the book. While these scenes present essential information about Gustav's approach to art and life (virtually the same), the acting is often overwrought thanks to Mark Burns as Alfred who screeches all his lines like an amateur. Too bad, because we don't need a distraction when the ideas are as important as they are in this film. Bogarde is mostly an innocent bystander in these scenes; however, he is absolutely brilliant in the rest of the movie. Throughout the two hour and ten minute movie, he is virtually always on screen, yet with relatively few lines of dialogue. Nonetheless, he held my attention expertly by creating a character of great depth who is simultaneously fussy, frail, impatient, and desperate, but also very human--a man whose tragic flaw is to underrate the power of human feelings. He distrusts them, in art and life, and it is ironic in the extreme that he was perhaps wise to do so. For when he finally allows his feelings free rein, they consume him.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My next pick is another Dirk Bogarde movie, Liliana Cavani's The Night Porter (1974)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I just learned there are two versions of Chinese Bookie. They both seem to be on the same DVD and streaming so I don't think this will be an issue for anyone. After reading a little on it, let's do the 1978 Director's Cut, which is about 30 minutes shorter too.

If you already watched the longer, 1976 version, we will just compare notes.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I've been busy the last couple of weeks, so I'm a bit behind. I'll do my best to catch up quickly though.

It's such a Beautiful Day (2012) dir. Don Hertzfeldt

Bill is a young man with a complicated medical history, and life in general. He suffers from some sort of unexplained mental illness. We follow him in his daily routines and dreams, all explained by a narrator, as there's no actual dialogue in the film. It's a strange tale, that only gets stranger as we learn about Bill's early life and his family history.

This movie almost perfectly combines comedy with serious topics and philosophical musings. At times it felt like I was watching some of Terry Gilliam's animated sketches from Monty Python. Although I don't think Gilliam was ambitious philosophically as Hertzfeldt is here, when he made those sketches. And I think Hertzfeldt cuts deeper in that department than Gilliam has ever done in any of his work. But the deadpan absurdist comedy style I think is quite similar between the two. Other than that, I think it's hard to compare Hertzfeldt to many others. His art style is quite unique, and very expressive despite it's simplistic nature. He's also not afraid to explore tough topics, and does so very earnestly. His choice of topics and art style stand in stark contrast to each other. His art style might be considered childlike, in the most positive interpretation of the word. While his choice of topics and his general content in this film, is often very adult. And this is definitely not a kids movie. I really like the approach to mental illness that the movie takes, the use of animation allows us to get much more inside the head of Bill than traditional live action would have done. It's both a funny and thought provoking way of looking at it, which made me think about it in ways I haven't done before. The movie is able to get laughs quite consistently, without cheapening the message. Going for these laughs is probably what allows the movie to dig as deep as it does, without becoming depressing or overbearing.

I had never gotten around to watching a Don Hertzfeldt movie before this, despite hearing great stuff about this movie, and also World of Tomorrow from a few years back. It was really nice to get the push to see one finally. Because I really enjoyed this. I also went and watched World of Tomorrow afterwards, which was also really enjoyable.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Death in Venice (1971) dir. Luchino Visconti

Aschenbach (Dirk Bogarde) is an acclaimed German composer. He travels to Venice to nurse his poor health. While staying in Venice he notices a young boy, Tadzio, staying with his family in the same hotel as Aschenbach, and who frequents the same beach. Aschenbach becomes very interested in the young boy. Often admiring him from afar, spying on him. Hoping to get a reciprocal glance from Tadzio. Being ascetic in regards his art, arguing that beauty lies only in the intellect not anything physical, Aschenbach is disgusted with his sudden desires of the flesh. When not admiring Tadzio, he spends a lot of time being in anguish about what he believes he is doing to himself by having these urges, and following up on them by seeking out Tadzio to get further looks at him. Aschenbach however never approaches Tadzio or talks to him. Aschenbach's sudden interest in the flesh also affects his composing. He suffers a writing block, and when he does write, what he writes isn't good. Which further fuels his bad thoughts about himself. Feeling the hot and humid weather in Venice taking a toll on his health, Aschenbach decides very rapidly to leave Venice. However his luggage gets misplaced, put on the wrong train. So Aschenbach refuses to leave until his luggage has returned, and he gladly checks back into the hotel, forgetting all about wanting to leave Venice.

There are some things that Death in Venice does very well. It looks fantastic. The costumes and sets are great. The movie looks like the time it's supposed to be set in, every last bit of it. That is something that Visconti has an incredible eye for. The camera work is also great. Certain shots looks like something out of renaissance painting. The movie is generally a feast for the eyes. Dirk Bogarde delivers a very good performance as Aschenbach, in a movie where he has do everything in terms of bringing character into the movie. Anyone but Aschenbach really just are cardboard cutouts. Even Björn Andrésen is mostly just asked to stand around looking pretty. So without a good performance from Bogarde, the movie would easily have become a drag. I also really like how Venice mirrors Aschenbach. As his mental and physical state degrades, so is Venice hit by a cholera epidemic. The Venice locals are hesitant to talk about the epidemic, in fear that the tourists will leave. As is Aschenbach afraid of facing Tadzio, who is causing him all the trouble that he is facing inside of himself.

There is however one big thing that overshadows everything else in the movie for me. It's an old man lusting for a 14 year old kid. And the movie seems kinda okay with that. To me it doesn't feel like the internal struggles that Aschenbach have because of his attraction to Tadzio is because of Tadzio's age. It's because he has these feelings at all, for anyone. It just doesn't feel like the movie ever addresses Tadzio's age at all. The 70s were a different time I guess, but Tadzio doesn't even look "mature", he looks like he's barely hit puberty. It's just disturbing all the way through for me, and I can't really overlook that. It means I have a hard time otherwise interacting with the Aschenbach character, and the subtext in the movie.

Technically I have huge respect for Visconti as a director, and he doesn't disappoint in this movie. But I can't not have a bad taste in my mouth while watching it and thinking about it afterwards.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Death in Venice
Viconti (1971)
“Beauty belongs to the senses. Only to the senses.”

Gustav von Aschenbach is an aging, sickly composer away on holiday to Venice where he can recouperate. He wiles away his time reading the paper and relaxing. He sees a young boy, a beatific creature with floppy blonde hair who looks as if he’s been pulled from a painting. The boy is on holiday with his family. Gustav is taken with the young man. His distant admiration grows and overtakes him to such a point that when a luggage mishap further strands him in Venice, he is outwardly angry but inwardly thrilled at the prospect of remaining in this beautiful person’s orbit. Despite his feelings, he never touches or talks to the boy. The boy seems to tease and tempt (or is that Gustav’s imagination?). Meanwhile Venice is in the midst of a Cholera plague, which the city is trying to keep under wraps so as not to harm the tourist business. Gustav tries to warn the family, fearing for his unrequited love. In the end it is he who dies, alone in a beach chair, hair dye sweating down the side of his face grotesquely.

I’ve never read the novel by Thomas Mann so this is the only text from which I’m working. While I want to give it more credit and I do believe Gustav’s feelings are more than merely sexual, it is hard to not see it as a homosexual version of Lolita. Am I being unfair? Yeah. Certainly simplistic. And similar to Lolita, it’s hard not to get a little ick’d out by the scenario. I know there’s more to it, but the sexual vein is certainly there as well and that’s a hard hurdle for me to clear even as tastefully and chastely as it is handle here. Flashbacks frame Gustav as repressed on many fronts — especially emotionally. So I buy that this is an awakening in many ways. But there’s a lot of soft-focus teasing on the boy too. Death in Venice is quite the languid affair as well. I knew to settle in when it took the boat at the opening about 10 minutes to dock. I’m not opposed to a thoughtful slow film, but this one, I must admit, was a struggle.

Things I did like — Bogard is fantastic. It’s a quiet performance with a lot of staring, a lot of face time. He’s quite affecting. The compositions (visually) were great. Often structured like moving paintings to me with the beach scenes, the women with parasols, the finely tailored people in the hotel’s various rooms.

A beautiful film, though not one I'm sure I'll revisit.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
I saw Death In Venice about ten years ago and there were two things that stick in my memory. I remember the constant use of the zoom shot, employed so much it became an annoyance. If I had a time machine and a roll of duct tape I'd go back and tape that lens in place. But I also remember Dirk Bogarde owning the screen, a consummate performance. So there was at least one thing I was looking forward to when settling in to watch Death In Venice again. First thing is the opening credits. Zooming out at me. *Sigh*

No regrets, however. Being already familiar with the story meant being more open to other elements of the movie that may have gone unnoticed the first time, and the experience this time around was revelatory. I see now that Death In Venice isn't really a "story" at all, it's more like a surreal poem, set in a dream world. Scenes cut away from the present time of the main storyline to flashbacks of Gustav's memories, fantasies or dreams. Much like Fellini's 8 1/2, except whereas in those scenes Guido escapes reality into his own fantasy world, here they are like dreams within a dream. A horror movie without the horror, Death In Venice is like a nightmare in which a man sees preparations being made for his own funeral and is helpless to stop it.

As Gustav, Bogarde creates a full-bodied character, prissy and self-absorbed. With his spiffy white suit, brimmed hat and spectacles he's like a cross between Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton. He's a sad, mostly silent, clown, the victim of a cosmic joke: ordered by his doctor to take a good long rest for the sake of his health, he takes a holiday the same time Death does and they meet in Venice just as it's about to get hit by a deadly cholera epidemic. Talk about bad timing.

As though lost in a dream, Gustav wanders the resort grounds and streets of Venice alone with virtually no interaction with other people, except for the servants and resort staff which he usually shuns ("We hope you like the room, which we have prepared for you." Hint, hint. Still, Gustav shows no response.) He is the only adult male guest at the resort, the other guests are elegent aristocratic ladies, their rambunctious kids and their nannies. The resort and its staff have an "Overlook hotel" creepiness. Things are not quite right.

I previously saw Death In Venice as the story of a man struggling with latent homosexuality, an interpretation I would now argue against. I don’t see anything romantic or sexual in Gustav's obsession with Tadzio, although he is certainly obsessed. I don't think Gustav quite comprehends this obsession either. He only knows he is drawn to Tadzio as though he were under some kind of spell. Like everything in Death In Venice, Tadzio is not quite real. He is a supernatural being: one minute he's a boisterous kid, next he's an angel of death luring Gustav to his ultimate end. (And what about Alex? Is this guy for real? Who talks and acts like that? I believe Alex is also a figment of Gustav's psyche, an irritating Jiminy Cricket, the voice in the back of Gustav's mind that keeps telling him he is a fraud, he doesn't really know what he's doing. For every one of Gustav's steadfast principles there is an obvious counterpoint that he has overlooked.)

Gustav dies at the end. That's not really a spoiler because, well, check the title. And the death scene has to be seen to be fully appreciated but I'll attempt to describe it. Sitting on the now nearly deserted beach Gustav sees Tadzio lazing about with an older boy, the same boy he's seen Tadzio with several times before--he has some influence over Tadzio...an arch angel? The boy is getting antsy, he wants to see some action. Tadzio has been putting off his duties, maybe he's getting to like all the attention he gets from Gustav. A fight ensues, ending with Tadzio's face in the mud. Beaten, Tadzio sulks away into the surf. The brilliant sunlight dapples on the waves like a portal to the next world. Tadzio is a silhouette, now just an abstract figure against the infinity of the sea and sky which is his home (well, he WAS wearing a sailor suit when we first saw him!) He knows Gustav is watching him, as always. He points towards the sky. It's time for you to go, Gustav. What a way to go.

Dazzling visual poetry, and so many other great scenes here…the elevator, the bordello, the street musicians. And those zoom shots? I got over them. They actually produce an uneasy feeling, like there is some ominous presence at the Grand Hotel des Bains stalking Gustav, something inevitable is coming his way.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I never knew this part of the board was here. I found my peoples!!! yea!!!!

You hipsters have been wathcing a lot of good f***ing films.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Scarface (1932) dir. Howard Hawks

Tony Camonte is energetic young man involved in the Italian mafia in Chicago, with a knack for using violence to achieve his goals. On orders by his boss Johnny Lovo, he kills the leading gangster of the South Side, a place which Lovo takes over, with Tony as one of his most trusted men. They run beer to underground prohibition bars, and threaten establishments run by rival gangs. Lovo however tells Tony not to touch the bars run by the Irish gangs in the North Side. Tony however soon starts to ignore this, and goes after them. He soon gets the police on his back, as well as rival gangs due to his violent and straight forward methods. Lovo notices the behaviour of Tony, and realises that over time, Tony will be looking to take Lovo's spot on the top, especially once he finishes off the North Side gangs.

Tony Camonte is in all but name a fictional version of Al Capone. Perhaps more his rise than his fall. With his very violent methods, and ruthless mentality, he uses fear as his main method of getting 'respect'. On the rise, Tony's life looks pretty nice. He gets money and interest from the woman he loves. But he doesn't seem like a very desirable person to admire as a viewer, and not really one I'd strive to be. He's a cold blooded killer, he has no respect for anyone around him. Not his mother, his sister, his best friend or even the woman he loves. Is it really worth it to get what he gets, if you have to be that kind of person to get it? It's not for me.

Tony didn't see it coming. He saw himself taking down the kingpins who came before him. But he never realised that he could end up the same way as them. Dead in the gutter. His hubris killed him, together with the fact that he never tried to make any friends. He had one friend, but he killed him, his other friends were hyenas waiting for the scraps he'd throw to them. The problem with hyenas is that when they sense weakness, they go for the kill instead of waiting for the scraps. He should have known, he used to be a hyena.

Together with contemporary movies Little Caesar and The Public Enemy, Scarface is the "original" gangster movie. There were many other gangster movies made back then. Most of them forgotten. But these three made the genre what it is today. You can easily see these movies in gangster movies made many years later, such as the De Palma Scarface, Goodfellas, Casino and many others. They are the prototypical American gangster movies, and they are still some of the best in the genre. Scarface however leaves you with a feeling of what could have been. It was attempted to be heavily censored due to its violent content and the perceived glorification of the gangster life style. Howard Hughes and Howard Hawks were able to push back quite a bit against these attempts, as the censorship office had not reached peak power yet. But scenes were deleted, and some of the movies worst elements were added. The opening plaque telling the audience what they are supposed to think about the movie and what the movie is trying to tell. It also caused the worst scene in the movie where the chief of police denounces gangsters. The scene is entirely unnatural and completely different in tone from the rest of the film. It is still a very good film, but what could it have been without the censoring?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
scarface1932.89192_052920140344.jpg

Scarface
(1932) Directed by Howard Hawks and Richard Rosson

I saw the original big three of gangster movies, Public Enemy, Little Caesar and Scarface on late night television when I was a kid. Until I saw Scarface again a few days ago, I didn't remember much about them except that they were exciting and fast-paced. I also remembered the actors because two of them, James Cagney (Public Enemy) and Edward G. Robinson (Little Caesar), went on to have major careers in Hollywood, especially Cagney who is among Hollywood's all-time most renowned movie stars. Paul Muni as Scarface was not so memorable--he seemed a bad fit in the role, and he made a less convincing gangster, partly because of a miscellaneous central European accent that didn't come close to being convincing. However, watching his movie now, Scarface seems like such a template for the gangster genre that I was amazed how much the genre owed to this film, and probably owed the other two movies as well.

Beyond the historical significance of the work, I had two main impressions. I couldn't believe how loud and how violent Scarface was. This movie must have come as a complete shock to its audience in 1932--I mean, silent movies were still being made; directors were still experimenting with sound. In Scarface, probably for the first time, sound becomes a defining factor of the film-going experience. The movie is very loud, especially during the frequent machine gun fire that happens again and again and again. People must have felt the film was an assault on their senses, and all that commotion probably made the film seem even more violent than it actually was. Scarface contributed greatly to the creation of one of Hollywood's most significant genres, on a par with Westerns and musicals--genres that were a natural fit for what the still emerging medium could offer. There have been probably been two or three thousand gangster movies since 1932, most of them American, but with significant outcroppings virtually everywhere, especially in Hong Kong, France and Italy. All of them owe at least a small debt to Scarface.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Guns blazing, bullets flying, tires screeching, mothers grieving…f*** them. Scarface revels in its bad-boy behaviour. Despite its moralizing and tacked-on disclaimers Scarface delivers the licentious thrills that its audience craves. Or should I say craved, past tense, since the envelope it pushed has extended exponentially since then. But the basic principle still holds. As much as we admire a hero, we also want to indulge our inner thug. So don't listen to your mother. Go after the boss' girl. Let the cops have it. Don't be held back by the restraints of social decency. The acts of violence in Scarface may be tame by today's standards but the swagger is still the same. Sociologists tell us that the violence in professional sports act as a safe outlet for the audience's natural aggression. The same could probably be said of gangster flicks. The bolder and bloodier, the better.

I don't remember the Oliver Stone version being this funny though, the humour deriving mainly from the immigrant gangsters limited vocabulary…such as Tony referring to habeas corpus as "a writ of hocus pocus", or his illiterate secretary thinking "go and state your business" is some kind of insult!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Fellow buffs, I have seen the next few choices yet haven't had a chance to do my reviews prior to a two week vacation abroad as I had hoped.

I will have some downtime so I may get the chance to check in in the meantime but if not, be assured I will be back in a few weeks with all my make up work. (Possibly an overdue assessment of The Apartment as well)

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
book15.jpg

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
(1976) Directed by John Cassavetes

Cosmo Vittelli (Cassavetes' regular Ben Gazzara) is a low-life strip club owner who gets suckered into a gambling debt by a group of relatively small-time but still dangerous mobsters. As he has no money, he can't pay the debt off, and eventually the mobsters make him an offer that he can't refuse--kill a Chinese bookie who has been infringing on their turf or get killed himself. Mock-graciously they agree to forgive his gambling debt as an inducement. Reluctantly, he accepts and he manages to luck out and fulfill his end of the bargain. But then the mob guys come looking for him to eliminate him. Though suffering a gunshot wound to his side, he manages to outsmart his potential killers and return to his sleezy night club. The movie ends with an oddly "the-show-must-go-on" note, with Cosmo's future extremely uncertain.

Cosmo is the sort of figure that seldom pops up even in crime dramas. He is lonely, isolated and has not much going for him besides his club. His only companions seem to be the strippers he hires to provide him with company when they are not dancing their routines at the club. Gazzara is perfect in the role because his face registers every thought that he is having. Cosmo is a loser sort of guy, not a possessor of particularly high moral standards, who makes bad judgements and has to take the consequences. But Cassavetes and Gazzara find a nugget of humanity in there somewhere.

Though the plot summary would suggest otherwise perhaps, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is not just another crime movie. Cassavetes is all about style and he has a way of making movies unlike any other director in history. I used to think that his method was an American form of neo-realism, but I was wrong about that. The Cassavetes film reality mimics reality more closely than most Hollywood movies, but it is still not intended as a replication of that reality. The term that I would now use to describe his work is "neo-naturalism." Cassavetes' movies go a long way to mimic how people actually talk and respond to one another. The style seems highly improvised, although Cassavetes went to his grave claiming his scenes were carefully scripted. That's an assertion that his principal actors, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara and Peter Falk have bounced around on a lot--sometimes supporting his claim, sometimes not. If his scenes are scripted, then I have to think he leaves a great deal of open space for his actors to roam in, for their performances are always more than mere interpretations of line readings. As a result of this open-ended approach to film making, Cassavetes loves long takes in which not much happens, but every now and then there comes about a moment that is unique, attainable in no other manner. Cassavetes' fans, and I am certainly one, wait for these moments the way fishermen wait for a 12 pound trout to tug at their line. Such a moment can be a glance, an offhand quip, a gesture, anything--though usually not adding up to much that you can actually explain to other people--but it stays in your mind forever and provides an insight into character that is startlingly revealing. Cassavetes has themes and issues, usually related to relationships and the various ways in which people can grow apart, but he is first and foremost a director interested in people, as character-driven a director as their is in the business, and that is why his movies work so well as a collection of moments that shape indelibly the personality and concerns of his characters.

It is risky style that can be annoying as hell when it doesn't work, when those magical moments go missing for too long. And it is a style that is heavily dependent on Cassavetes' relationship with his principle actors, all of whom he was personally deeply attached to. Rowlands, Falk and Gazzara are brilliant at interpreting his vision because A) they all knew him so well and worked together so long, but also because B) they are very patient technicians and never panic--if nothing is happening in a scene they know how to keep it going until something does. There is a funny moment right at the end of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie where Gazzara's character, sitting at a small table, laughs and says "I don't know what to do with my hands." That is definitely an out-of-character moment, but he and Cassavetes blend it right into the movie. This high risk/high reward approach to film making is not to everyone's taste obviously, but I find Cassavetes one of the true originals of English-language film.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Scarface
Hawks (1932)
“Get out of my way Johnny, I’m going to spit!”

This is one of the gangster film ur-text for all that would come later. Despite it’s age, so much about Scarface is familiar. It isn’t modern as much as it gave us the modern crime age. It’s quoted and referenced to this day (sure, to be fair, most of that is DePalma’s coked-up, sun-baked 80s epic take on the same story, but still ... much of that comes from here). The suits have changed, but the heart is still the same. Started from the bottom now we here. The rise and fall of crime kings. Here we have Tony Cmaonte, an enforcer for Chicago’s crime boss Johnny Lovo who has ambitions. He’s a bit off his nut though too.

After a mandated scolding about the both the troubles of crime and the failings of government, we jump right into the shadow-shrouded murder of Louie. The power grab is on. Lovo is reluctant, but Tony pushes, aided by his own right-hand-man Rinaldo. Tony has his eyes on the boss’ gal. But she isn’t the only important woman factoring into this story. While the status-hungry mol would become a staple of the genre, Scarface has a bit of a kinky twist rarely replicated in other gangster films (save DePalma’s Scarface) in the form of Cesca. She’s Tony’s sister and boy does he not like it when other men take an interest in her. It’s an obsession that proves deadly for dear friend Rinaldo and is the fatal fall for Tony leading to his eventual downfall. Oh, in between all this personal drama, Tony muscles his way into more and more Chicago territory and inevitably usurps his boss. In the end he’s a cackling madman laid low by his personal weaknesses with a pile of dead in his wake, including the only people he ever really cared about. Crime does not pay.

This, along with the likes of Little Caesar and The Public Enemy, are from whence so much would flow. The character prototypes are here as are the plot points and even some specific scenes. I got a chuckle at the scene where Tony is telling all the other baddies how it’s going to be. Don’t fight the takeover. One old gangster warhorse mouths off and earns a beating. How many times have we seen this in things to come? I thought both of The Dark Knight’s famed pencil scene and Goldfinger’s thug meeting at a Kentucky horse farm to name a few. It’s a spry and enjoyable film, especially to fans of the genre. Proceedings slow a few times for some ham-handed scoldings about lives of crime, but the interruptions were a bit of a comedic artificiat to me. It breaks rhythm but I didn’t mind.

One thing that really stood out to me was the level of implied violence. Given the time we don’t see a single drop of blood, but boy do a lot of people get killed in this. There are countless montages of shootings, many drive-by with a car screaming down the street, Tommy Guns barking and blazing. This movie is LOUD. Lots of rat-a-tat-tat. You don’t see much but man do you hear it. Speaking of hearing it, I’m not sure I’m completely into Paul Muni’s performance. It’s an iconic role but it plays really, really broad to me. Memorable though for sure. George Raft, on the other hand can wear a damn suit.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Cassavetes (1976)
“I pay my debts.”

Cosmo owns the Crazy Horse West, a night club/bit of a burlesque venture, mixing nudity with corny performances from the assorted talent, including his strippers and Mr. Sophistication, a grumbling washout who long ago was ejected from his dreams of stardom. The place is a both an end of the road and the peak of the mountain for a man like Cosmo. It’s his life’s work. He’s proud and protective of it. He’s also got a debilitating gambling problem that throws it all to risk. Within the first 20 minutes or so we see him dig himself out of one debt only to turn around on a night of celebration and fall into an even deeper hole. To pay this debt, local heavies ask him not to write a check, but to take on a job and thus we have the title of the film. The middle third is the set-up and payoff. It’s a botch from the beginning with the getaway car stalling on the way out. Ominous. Cosmo takes a cab to the hit. Once in the man’s house, he encounters more people than expected and kills more than the bookie. He takes a bullet in the side in the process. It’s as if that’s a final wake-up call. He spends the final third both dodging the angry gangsters as best he can an making peace with others in his life. He visits his girlfriend. He settles some disputes at the club. He buys everyone a round of drinks. He then walks off into the night, still bleeding.

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is as slow bleed of a film, taking its time to set up, execute and pay off Cosmo’s story. It’s classic Cassavetes in his grimy, hand-held, naturalistic style. It’s a gallery of worn out and weathered faces and bodies. I wouldn’t want to see any of these people in a bright-lit room let alone the sunshine. It’s a sad, grungy affair overall. But it does feel lived-in. It’s a New York of a time and place. I felt like I smelled like cigarette smoke two hours after the movie ended. It was claustrophobic not in the sense that it was tense, but in that I felt like I was in people’s faces the entire time. It’s an effect I appreciated more than enjoyed. I doff my cap to one of the godfather’s of American independent cinema, but I admit my tolerance for Cassavetes isn’t what I wish it would be. It’s very effective cinema, but never has much rewatch value to me.

All that said, the man has pulled some stellar performances from his loyal troupe of actors, most famously wife Gena Rowlands who is a knockout in A Woman Under the Influence. Not far behind that though, I would put Ben Gazara’s role here. He’s a voice and face I’ve always been drawn to and this is him at his best. He’s ultimately a low-level schmo but there’s an authority and dignity to him that always comes through. He isn’t honorable. He’s really a scum bag. But he’s understandable. You don’t exactly feel pity for him, but you can appreciate the peace he achieves. In some ways he reminded me of a less thuggish Bob Hoskins from Mona Lisa (my first ever Movie of the Week pick trivia buffs ...) as a performance that far overshoots the movie surrounding it.

Reactions: Amerika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad