The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
What is with these rumors about throwing Bishop into the deal? In what way does that make us a better team? I understand the cap implications but losing Bishop makes us worse immediately, especially with Elliott coming back. St. Louis has Allen already anyways.

That would be absolutely ****ing bat**** dumb....

Bishop isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I like Vasi and all, but he still let in 4 goals last night. Bishop is averaging 2 or less a night, consistently. Not to mention he's literally carried games by himself and kept us from being completely embarrassed.

I would lose 100% all faith in Yzerman if Bishop was moved at ANY point in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The term "tampering" doesn't exist in the CBA. It's the common term used to describe circumventing the CBA. The CBA doesn't prevent you from discussing other players. Otherwise coaches would have a really tough time when asked about the team they just faced. It prevents you from speaking to players on the team either directly or through the media and making promises, inferences, etc. Since Drouin is not a free agent it's not a relevant issue. Unless you think that in like 6 years Drouin would be signing with the Ducks because of this quote.

For example, Toronto fans saying "Why don't we just promise Stamkos endorsements if he signs here" are talking about CBA circumvention. That's a whole different thing than this.

Here is the relevant section of the CBA:

Murray made a point of not expressing intent, making an assurance, committing, etc. He essentially just said "It's a possibility." Poile in Nashville for example has already said that he's in on Drouin. There's no rule in the CBA against GMs saying they're interested in trading for an available player. There is a rule against a GM contacting a player and telling them to request a trade.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Burke's constant refusal to discuss players names with the media during the Kaberle saga led me to believe that trade negotiations were also covered in circumvention.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Burke's constant refusal to discuss players names with the media during the Kaberle saga led me to believe that trade negotiations were also covered in circumvention.

I think they could be since it says "any transaction" but it depends on what is said. Murray didn't say Drouin's name either even though we can easily infer which player he's talking about. I think most GMs go by the better safe than sorry approach. For CBA reasons but also so they don't look bad if a deal never goes anywhere.

But also no GM is going to say "Yeah we're 100% in on Drouin we want him so badly" because that's a terrible strategy for negotiations. So his statement could mean that he's only somewhat interested in Drouin or that he's trying to downsell his interest to try to get a better deal. I guess we'll have to see what develops(soon hopefully please)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.startribune.com/wild-trying-to-avoid-listening-to-distracting-trade-rumors/365538821/
Coach Mike Yeo indicated there will be a lineup change tonight. Ryan Carter isn't on the trip and since the Wild hasn't called up any forwards, Mike Reilly is either playing for Nate Prosser or the Wild will dress seven defensemen.
Also, trade rumors continue to swirl and Yeo said while nobody is waiting for a trade, he said it probably has become a distraction for players like Matt Dumba, Jonas Brodin and Marco Scandella.

"There’s no question you get three young defensemen that are reading the paper and they’re looking at the fact that they might be getting traded or at least they’re reading that that’s a possibility, and that’s a distraction," Yeo said. "But when we talk about the journey at the end of the year, those teams that are in the playoffs, you have to get through tough times, you have to be able to fight through distractions.

“That’s what we have to be ready for.”
I reported earlier this week that the Wild offered Brodin in a package to Columbus for Johansen before he was dealt to Nashville and that Dumba’s name has come up in talks with Tampa Bay about Jonathan Drouin.

Fletcher has said multiple times that the Wild’s abundance of depth of defense organizationally could lead to a trade for an offensive forward, particularly a center.

Asked if he felt the Wild needed a shot in the arm, Yeo said, “No. I just think that we need to play. When we’ve been on top of our game, we were one of the higher scoring teams in the league, but the way that we create, we have to be on the same page.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
^ well dressing 7 defenseman doesn't really support the whole Dumba healthy scratch thing...

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Going back to the other thread I would feel better about a Coyle/Dumba package than just Dumba, even if it cost us more.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Going back to the other thread I would feel better about a Coyle/Dumba package than just Dumba, even if it cost us more.

Coyle is a great player with size, speed, talent, and the most important thing for us, youth. He's going to cost a lot, but if we can make a deal around Drouin++ for Dumba+Coyle, I'd do it. As long as one of those pluses is one of our other roster players. I'd hate to have even more of a logjam.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Crunch game just started. I'll be watching the whole thing so I'll update with anything notable. Drouin just finished his second shift. Had some really good offensive pressure, puck went the other way, Drouin stole it in the DZ, got the Crunch back in the OZ and set up a chance. So a good start for him so far.

And while I typed this one of the Pens shoved Drouin and Blunden stood up for him.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't think Drouin will get a point for the Crunch's 2nd goal but he did hella work to make it happen. Brought the puck into the zone, skated around to open up space and passed to the shooter. Led to a rebound and 1-2 players getting sticks on it hence no point probably but definitely needs credit for his effort. Oops no they just announced it and he gets the second assist. Yay.

Btw his skating is like ridiculously good compared to every other player on the ice. Like in a different league completely.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
If Coyle comes over in the deal ... he immediately slots on the Johnson/Kucherov second line. That slots Killorn on the third line with Filp & Cally. That would be awesome for sure.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Over or under on this taking at least another week? I'll take the over

Probably not happening this weekend. I'd probably join you with the over, I think if something was imminent or close Drouin wouldn't be playing tonight. Yzerman probably needs at least another week to work out details if there is framework for a deal. My guess: some teams aren't done scouting Drouin yet and Yzerman hasn't had anything more than preliminary discussions with them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd put the over/under at the deadline. I'm not sure this gets done until the off-season. There's just no reason to appease the trade request unless there's a big return coming. And I'm not sure teams are going to pony up to Yzerman's expectations.

I'll say it happens at the draft. Some team won't like their options and deal something like the #9 pick + a bottom pairing project player.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
"Drouin brings it in, sets up Blunden... Shoots wide left"

If I had a penny for every time...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I'd put the over/under at the deadline. I'm not sure this gets done until the off-season. There's just no reason to appease the trade request unless there's a big return coming. And I'm not sure teams are going to pony up to Yzerman's expectations.

I'll say it happens at the draft. Some team won't like their options and deal something like the #9 pick + a bottom pairing project player.

If Yzerman could trade Drouin for a single draft pick, how high do you think we could go? A top 5 pick?

I like that idea of trading Jo at the draft (if a trade has to happen) and reloading with a pick or prospect that will take some time to develop. We're pretty good on depth right now, forwards and defense. It may also be smart to not take on anymore salaries for the moment considering all the other contracts Yzerman is going to have to deal with this offseason and next. Picking up another 18 or 19 year old who won't get and then come off their ELC in 4-5 years would let a lot of stuff be sorted out in between then

If you add another good young player, like Dumba, who is already/almost off their ELC, then that's another contract Yzerman can throw on the pile along with Hedmans, Kucherovs, Palats, and the others, that he has to work out very soon.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Probably not happening this weekend. I'd probably join you with the over, I think if something was imminent or close Drouin wouldn't be playing tonight. Yzerman probably needs at least another week to work out details if there is framework for a deal. My guess: some teams aren't done scouting Drouin yet and Yzerman hasn't had anything more than preliminary discussions with them.

I think Drouin would play regardless if a deal was lined up. I don't know what the holdup is because it's not like teams don't have film on him and it's not like the Lightning haven't scouted enough central division games. Unless this is a blockbuster then all it proves is that the Lightning were piddling around at 9 PM on the night of January 16th. You don't let this drag out any longer than you have to at risk of Drouin sustaining an injury or going through a scoring drought that makes your trade partner think otherwise about the deal. Sure, give it another week. But there is exactly one scenario in which the Lightning benefit by letting this go on any longer and that's for Drouin to annihilate the AHL and look like the prospect that led him to being the 3rd overall pick. I don't see how waiting is going to help.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Fingers are crossed nothing happens to Drouin and that it doesn't take that long. If it does then we can probably kiss a better deal goodbye. If Drouin gets hurt again he's gonna come with a "damaged goods" label. If he goes into a nasty scoring funk it'll be "He can't even get it going in the AHL!!"

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Nice hustle on a backcheck by Drouin to break up the Pens' zone entry. Score 3-2 right now with 15 left in the 3rd. Wilcox has had some ridiculous saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad