The official I'm eating crow on Kyle Wellwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
Jon Prescription said:
Goddamn, is he ever impressive. His moves are insane and he can do them at a lot faster speed than I thought he'd ever have in the NHL.

Impressive.

Absolutely agree. Wellwood has impressed in a couple of games against the Rangers. He is an excellent skater and very smart passer. Looks like the Leafs with him and Steen up front have a bright future.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Kovy274Hart said:
Absolutely agree. Wellwood has impressed in a couple of games against the Rangers. He is an excellent skater and very smart passer. Looks like the Leafs with him and Steen up front have a bright future.

I agree he has been impressive, but I wouldn't say he is an excellent skater. Nonetheless I had my doubts and thus far he's proven me wrong.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
I had my doubts about him too, but ate my crow in an earlier Leafs thread. I'm not jumping on his bandwagon or anything, but I certainly don't have as many reservations about his future in the NHL as I used to. He's slick and has great vision and should become a valuable asset for the leafs.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Senator Stanley said:
I agree he has been impressive, but I wouldn't say he is an excellent skater. Nonetheless I had my doubts and thus far he's proven me wrong.

Agreed on the skating. He's certainly agile and has good moves, but is not the fastest nor the strongest skater.

I am also ordering the "all you can eat crow" tonight on Welly. . .

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
I have my doubts.

Dont get me wrong, I like him, I loved him last year....I think I just expected more. Hopefully he steps it up another notch.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Wellwood is good with the puck, but he is a 1 dimensional scorer. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well if only Pat Quinn will cut down the ice time for Antropov and then we'll see more of Wellwood. I liked Wellwood from the moment I saw him back in 1999 on the Belleville Bulls. he was like 5'7" at the time and a rookie. But I remember when I watched him play all I could think is that he looks like a slippery eel on the ice, and he still does.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Egil said:
Wellwood is good with the puck, but he is a 1 dimensional scorer. Players like him are a dime a dozen.

See, this is what I kept hearing before he made it with the big club, but I think it's wrong. He's not a floater by any means, and he probably puts more effort into the backcheck than most guys on the team. He still makes some defensive gaffs, but hey, he's a rookie. The effort is always there.

His skating and defence were always questioned, but I don't think either have really been a problem so far :dunno:

In the old NHL he would have been clutched and grabbed to death, but I'm excited about his prospects in the new league. Especially once he gets a little more confidence in his abilities

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Egil said:
You really need to see him play. There aren't many guys in the league who can effectively dangle the puck like Wellwood. He also works hard and breaks up plays on the backcheck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DaveyCrockett said:
You really need to see him play. There aren't many guys in the league who can effectively dangle the puck like Wellwood. He also works hard and breaks up plays on the backcheck.

Agreed. While he hasn't been as good tonight as he was last night against NYR, he's still showing just how amazingly shifty he is. He's a really fun player to watch and his moves remind me of a slower Datsyuk. I think Wellwood definately needs to add a quicker top end and first step to his game, but even if he stays as is, he's still a solid player for a team. Fun kid.

MastahPlaya

Mar 9, 2004
why don t you just say yu were wrong about him..
not eat crow thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Wonder if the LEafs will get rid of him like they got rid of another smallish centre Steve Sullivan?

Quinn is a genius.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
It's quite appreciated to see people do this. I was a supporter of Wellwood, in the sense that I expected him to make the league, but I've got to say he definitely surpassed my expectations.

Don't worry everyone, in about a month I'll be tossing up my own thread like this about a certain team doing better than another certain team. (NYR and Leafs) But I'm still holding out hopes :help:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MastahPlaya said:
why don t you just say yu were wrong about him..
not eat crow thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard

It's what we do here at HFboards.

You never admit you're wrong. That's just not manly. You have to go out into the woods, hunt down a crow, kill it, and eat it over the image of the player you previously disrespected. If you're lucky enough, you can even eat it WITH said player.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Jon Prescription said:
It's what we do here at HFboards.

You never admit you're wrong. That's just not manly. You have to go out into the woods, hunt down a crow, kill it, and eat it over the image of the player you previously disrespected. If you're lucky enough, you can even eat it WITH said player.

Also, it should be noted that if you remove the feathers from the crow, you dishonour yourself, and your family.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
GregStack said:
Also, it should be noted that if you remove the feathers from the crow, you dishonour yourself, and your family.

The feathers contain a mystical power known to enlighten and strengthen the mind so you do not make the same mistake again in the future.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I love watching Wellwood play. He is so smart and has such a great feel for who to pass it to, when and where. He may be limited but I like rooting for the kid.

Jax81

Jan 27, 2006
Just wait until:
1. He becomes more consistent (has his invisible moments)
2. Gets real linemates. You can only put up so many points playing with Jeff O'Neill and Chad Kilger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well a lot of people should eat crow over Fleury and Whitney.

And I should eat some for Lundqvist...

o-dog

May 24, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Wellwood does have tremendous skills but I still don't feel he will be a real impact player in the NHL. Not the best comparison in the world but I would liken him to Ribiero - incredible talent but lacking the size to compete. Without having blazing footspeed, smaller players will always be at some sort of disadvantage in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad