Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Before creating a firestorm in the main forum, I wanted to get other Canes' fans take on what someone posted on Canes and Coffee. I really don't like it, but with Lindholm being moved, the Canes need another center possibility in case one of Aho and Necas aren't ready.

Pesce for William Nylander.

If Toronto is serious about going for Tavares, then Nylander will be available (a few Leafs' fans admitted as much elsewhere on HF). While most Canes' fans want to move Faulk, I am pretty sure he doesn't return Nylander. Pesce at $4m for six years works given everything Toronto is hoping to accomplish.

AS I said, I don't like it, so talk me out of it.

I'm one of them men who want to watch the world burn.

Not in to the trade so much, but do it.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I actually don't mind this...but. Once again, I really don't think Skinner would wave to go to Colorado. If he actually did give a 5 team list, think the usual suspects...Pitt, NYR, Chicago, LAK, SJ for example.

If the Pens are one of the teams on Skinner's list what do you think it would take to make a deal? From what I read your GM said something about he could be had for a 1st and a prospect. It did not go into detail about what kind of prospect we are talking about but I realize a good one. If that is true I could see a 1st and Sprong type deal or since I heard on another forum Canes interested in Jarry. I would make either of those deals but I am not JR. The thing is when you are in a win now mode I don't mind giving up a 1st and a top tier prospect on a rental. Just would like to see what Canes fans are hearing. I read rumors that Skinner turned down 2 deals already but who knows.

Reactions: Unsustainable

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
What makes you think Nylander is more prepared to play C than Aho?
I am as convinced as any Canes' fan that Aho will be a top-flight center. In fact, I am willing to say in 3 years he will be 85-90 point producer as C. But others are less confident. My point (and it was if Aho or Necas are not quite ready) was merely that Nylander would be 3 shots at finding 2 centers. And Nylander is much like Aho in being proven as a point producer.

Still, I hope the team doesn't take the proposal (Pesce for Nylander). Pesce is my sleeper for breakout player this coming season. He has stretches where he is both a shutdown defenseman and looks capable of 40+ points.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
With the Mason deal it seems like Montreal and Carolina are a good fit.

1) Canes need a goalie and Steve Mason is probably as good a bet as any
2) Mason has 1 year left on his deal - far better than having to sign a guy for 2+ years
3) Montreal looks like they would retain 50% making Mason’s deal only $2 million
4) Montreal has been linked to Rask
5) Canes have been linked to Pacioretty

Is there a deal where the Canes bring in a potential 1G on a 1 year deal and replace Skinner for the cost of Rask + futures?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
With the Mason deal it seems like Montreal and Carolina are a good fit.

1) Canes need a goalie and Steve Mason is probably as good a bet as any
2) Mason has 1 year left on his deal - far better than having to sign a guy for 2+ years
3) Montreal looks like they would retain 50% making Mason’s deal only $2 million
4) Montreal has been linked to Rask
5) Canes have been linked to Pacioretty

Is there a deal where the Canes bring in a potential 1G on a 1 year deal and replace Skinner for the cost of Rask + futures?

Pacioretty is a UFA after this year, but if they feel that they could sign him, and depending on the futures, yes please.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Pacioretty will turn 31 early in the first year of his next contract and is coming off of a very disappointing season. That's scary. From his perspective, he's coming off of a bargain contract and is one year removed from a 35 goal season. He'll want to get paid.

It's an interesting situation. You would think an extension would add to his value, but depending on the terms, it could hurt it. If I'm a GM, I try to pay less for a rental Pacioretty, see how he does on my team and then make the decision to extend, limiting the risk of having given up a huge return if he walks or being stuck with a bad contract if his prime is over.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Assuming you guys trade Justin Faulk, what is the return you are hypothetically looking for?

Do you guys need a LHD?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So like, Gardiner + Sparks for Faulk type of deal would interest you guys? Possibly with small additions in either side if necessary

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
We're going to see Gardiner for Faulk a lot, aren't we?

Gardiner puts an unnecessary time constraint on an organization that doesn't need to be in rush to make a long-term commitment to a defenseman. I like Faulk's potential trade value at the deadline with ~1.25 years remaining over Gardiner's with ~.25 years remaining, too.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Canes need a defensively oriented veteran top-4 D to play with Hamilton. They don’t need to trade Faulk for a LH playmaking (vs shooter) version of Faulk - so I doubt Gardiner is of interest.

I understand now wanting to break up Slavin-Pesce, but I think it's likely Slavin-Hamilton will be the top pairing. The staff tried many times last year to split those two up for a more balanced top 4, but obviously that wasn't working with Hanifin/Faulk. Girordano-Hamilton was one of the best pairings in the league last year and I expect we'll try to recreate that with Slavin-Hamilton. Slavin-Pesce won't be entirely dead though, they'll still be our top PK unit and will be on the ice together in crucial defensive situations.

That's why we should be looking more for a puck-moving top 4 LHD to pair with Pesce. Otherwise, I'm not sure who else besides Hamilton we'd be able to use on the PP, Slavin might be the second-most offensively skilled guy in our six. I like Gardiner for that role, but his expiring contract is probably a non-starter.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I'm with Buenos Necas that I'd rather go after a more offensive puck moving LHD to pair with Pesce and have Slavin Hamilton together.

Krug + Backes (3x3.6 in real cash) for Skinner (with agreement in place) + Gauthier

I'd probably do this in a heartbeat, then try to get Nino for Faulk.

Ferland Aho TT
McGinn Staal Williams
Nino Necas Svech
Zykov Rask Foegele
Martinook

Slavin Hamilton
Krug Pesce
Fleury TVR

I like the mix of that defence, should be able to score more without being a liability, and from what I remember Nino is good defensively? Should help the rookies.

... And I forgot about Backes

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ferland Aho TT
McGinn Staal Williams
Nino Necas Svech
Zykov Rask Foegele

Swap out Zykov for Ferland and I like the lines.

Ferland scored early last year when Gadreau was on fire then he couldn't score at all.

Zykov scored in the AHL and then complemented Aho and TT. I view the trade as Hamilton being the key and Ferland being an improvement on Martinook who can add some offense to for Rask and Foegele, but not playing on a scoring line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad