The Official Alexander Ovechkin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockwizard*

Foppa, it seems Ovechkin and Kovalchuk are developing somewhat of a rivalry to say the least.
Ovechkin was now quoted as saying Kovalchuk cannot play defense,
and Kovalchuk has said that the NHL is a different league than the one Ovechkin is used to and we will see if he is going to be any good.
Is this friction between them going to be a problem when they are playing together at the world cup?
Do you think Ovechkin will have as great as impact in the NHL as Kovalchuk?
From what I can see Ovechkin seems like a nice boy, so why the jealousy from Kovalchuk.
You would think they would want to help each other since they are both Russian. I guess it just makes them even more competitive with each other.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think it could be competitive spirit. Kovulchuk might well want to be the best player in the NHL. With Ovechkin getting pitched like this... But the consensus heading into the NHL entry draft in Raleigh, N.C., is that Ovechkin is by far the most talented prospect to come along since 1984, when Mario Lemieux was chosen first overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins.....
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61639-2004May27.html

that would indicate that Ovechkin is being hyped as better than Kovulchuk.
i would expect kovulchuk to have at least a "lets wait and see" attitude.

I would not be surprised if there was not a hot rivalry building between atlanta and kovulchuk and washington and ovechkin...its a division rivalry. there many that say that ovechkin will at least equal kovulchuk's rookie numbers....we will see.

SwOOsh*

Battleship said:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04151/324354.stm

NOTES -- Russian super-prospect Alexander Ovechkin is widely reported to stand about 6 feet 3, but actually measured an inch or so shorter before having his physical testing yesterday. To the chagrin of 29 teams, that discrepancy isn't likely to dissuade Washington from claiming him with the No. 1 choice in the draft.

I don't know. It seems that statement would imply that he's about 6'2". :) Although, I guess it's fair to say 6'2" is "just above 6'1"".

Exactly and by "actually measured an inch or so shorter" could also mean that he was only half an inch shorter as well so 6'2 1/2 . I don't get where you can interpret that as 6'1 but I guess I will leave that to the Pens fans. Also I like how it comes out of Pittsburgh first... still in denial.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't worry about it. I think both teams are going to be pretty competitive real, real soon.

Who care's what size Ovechkin is, the dude can play.
I was just relaying information, since people are always wondering about exact measurements. Besides, Ero and I had discussed it in another thread before.

Exactly and by "actually measured an inch or so shorter" could also mean that he was only half an inch shorter as well so 6'2 1/2 . I don't get where you can interpret that as 6'1 but I guess I will leave that to the Pens fans. Also I like how it comes out of Pittsburgh first... still in denial.
Was their information false? What's wrong with simply reporting what they hear?

SwOOsh*

Jacobv2 said:
Ovechkin checked in at just above 6'1" at the NHL combine, according to the Post Gazette.

Where do you get 6'1" that is what I'm saying, not that their reporting it wrong, but instead you are interpreting it in a false manner, due to your extreme bias.

Also I have a question.

Would the Post Gazette report that if the Pens held the 1st overall??? Answer: Hell no.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I think the thing is more just competion for Ovechkin. I can easily picture Kovalchuk being jealous of Ovechkin, but not vice versa. They both want to be the best. I don't think it's more than that--at least from Ovechkin's point of view.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Where do you get 6'1" that is what I'm saying,
6'3 - an inch or so = something between 6'1" and 6'2". I certainly spun it negatively, there's no doubting that, but just take it for what it is; information.

SwOOsh said:
not that their reporting it wrong, but instead you are interpreting it in a false manner, due to your extreme bias.
If I have 'extreme bias' against Ovechkin, what superlative would you use for EroCaps' bias?

Let me know of any instances whatsoever where I posted something blatantly biased or overly negative about Ovechkin. Until then, stop lumping me in with the Penguins fans who ARE doing it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Do not get your panties in a bunch Swoosh, he could be 4'11" and with how he has played would still deserve the accolades that he has recieved . . . and 6'1" is not a bad size at all, though it does limit his ability to be that huge player with talent such as Lindros was supposed to be, but that is about the only downside.

Now that all said, from an admittedly biased Pens perspective, Malkin at 6'5" and likely playing at 225 eventually, extremely long Mario-like reach, if the gap truly has closed that bit skill-wise as quite a few have said then that sizable difference in height and weight could make a difference between the two when they hit their mature NHL playing time. *smiles and lets the hammering for that thought begin*

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
6'3 - an inch or so = something between 6'1" and 6'2". I certainly spun it negatively, there's no doubting that, but just take it for what it is; information.

If I have 'extreme bias' against Ovechkin, what superlative would you use for EroCaps' bias?

Let me know of any instances whatsoever where I posted something blatantly biased or overly negative about Ovechkin. Until then, stop lumping me in with the Penguins fans who ARE doing it.

Ovechkin is probably not 6'3, and Malkin is probably not 6'5. I have no bias, it's all in your head, man; try looking in the mirror. I'm roasted for saying Ovechkin is, and when is all said and done, will likely be the better player. Isn't that what every scouting source says? I don't go searching out Malkin threads to criticize Malkin, unless the Ovechkin comparison is brought into it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin is probably not 6'3, and Malkin is probably not 6'5. I have no bias, it's all in your head, man; try looking in the mirror. I'm roasted for saying Ovechkin is, and when is all said and done, will likely be the better player. Isn't that what every scouting source says? I don't go searching out Malkin threads to criticize Malkin, unless the Ovechkin comparison is brought into it.

Actually was just messing with you all in that last part . . . anyone who actually says that they know how either will actually turn out because of an inch or three in height, a bit of weight or anything else is deluded . . . we all just have to wait and see them both develope on the ice . . . still it truly is fun messing with you all . . .

Btw, that goes for you also though, you can have your opinion, but I see it differently of course, not the Malkin is assured to be better, but that AO is NOT assured to be better, I would call it close to equal with a mere nudge AO's way.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't say Malkin was 6'5", but I'm pretty sure that you once said that Ovechkin was 6'3".

I'm roasted for saying Ovechkin is, and when is all said and done, will likely be the better player
I've said the same thing.

I don't go searching out Malkin threads to criticize Malkin, unless the Ovechkin comparison is brought into it.
I think we all know very well that you're the one that brought up Ovechkin in a lot of the Malkin threads.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
I didn't say Malkin was 6'5", but I'm pretty sure that you once said that Ovechkin was 6'3".

I've said the same thing.

I think we all know very well that you're the one that brought up Ovechkin in a lot of the Malkin threads.

I never said you said Malkin was 6'5, I was replying in part to the next post. I did say Ovechkin was 6'3, and I listed three major sources at the time. There are variations. Rather than picking apart every post for loopholes/flaws, try giving me the benefit of the doubt. Or not obsessing.

If you can find a post where I randomly bring Ovechkin into a debate in an effort to knock Malkin, I apologize.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Guys, it's a matter of inches...I really don't think it matters...

Size does matter in the NHL more than any other League. Also if you watch a guy that's 6'1 and someone tells you he's 6'4 he will look faster as well as more imposing.

That being said Ovechkin has results at every level of hockey short of the NHL playoffs (recent Worlds has to be at least comparable to NHL regular season). Whether he accomplished this at 6'1+ or 6'4- is academic.

stockwizard*

I really believe Ovechkin is a nice boy and I wish hime the best, however upon further review I would have to say Sidney Crosby is alot more exciting to watch. I can't say who is better at this point because they are two years apart in age. It is like comparing Ovechkin to Kovulchuk.
Crosby is a more valuable prospect though because he will bring more excitement and more people to the stands. He is more marketable since he has alot more charisma and due to the fact that he was born here. He has the ability to really bring people out of their seets.
Sorry Foppa, these are the facts. Everyone will agree with me. There is no denying it.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
stockwizard said:
I really believe Ovechkin is a nice boy and I wish hime the best, however upon further review I would have to say Sidney Crosby is alot more exciting to watch. I can't say who is better at this point because they are two years apart in age. It is like comparing Ovechkin to Kovulchuk.
Crosby is a more valuable prospect though because he will bring more excitement and more people to the stands. He is more marketable since he has alot more charisma and due to the fact that he was born here. He has the ability to really bring people out of their seets.
Sorry Foppa, these are the facts. Everyone will agree with me. There is no denying it.

"Upon further review" :lol :lol How many times have you seen them both play? Are you Canadian?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Crosbyfan said:
Size does matter in the NHL more than any other League. Also if you watch a guy that's 6'1 and someone tells you he's 6'4 he will look faster as well as more imposing.

That being said Ovechkin has results at every level of hockey short of the NHL playoffs (recent Worlds has to be at least comparable to NHL regular season). Whether he accomplished this at 6'1+ or 6'4- is academic.

St. Louis is about 5'8. I think he does fine. I think Iginla is 6'1. He is doing very fine. I would prefer that Ovechkin be about 6'2 so he is big enough to play his style of game but also not a big clumsy lumbering oaf. Ovechkin is 6'2, 212 as of April 23 as measured by the IIHF. :p:

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Crosby

Foppa_Rules said:
St. Louis is about 5'8. I think he does fine. I think Iginla is 6'1. He is doing very fine. I would prefer that Ovechkin be about 6'2 so he is big enough to play his style of game but also not a big clumsy lumbering oaf. Ovechkin is 6'2, 212 as of April 23 as measured by the IIHF. :p:

I think Ovechkin will be an mvp type someday, but how can you not respect crosby as the top prospect in the world... :shakehead

stockwizard*

St. Louis is league MVP. What is he 5'8'' 165pounds. It makes no difference if Ovechkin is 6'2'' or 6'3''.

Foppa, I think Ovechkin will be a great NHL player. I respect him alot for overcoming the adversity in his family, but there is no point in debating me on this because everyone agrees with me and knows I am right.

The type of excitement the Crosby is bringing to the game is unbelievable. He is the golden boy. I'm not predicting who will be better, but there is no doubt that attaining Crosby will raise the value of a franchise more than Ovechkin. Ovechkin doesn't even know how to speak proper english.

Crosby is the only boy in the history of Major Canadian Junior Hockey to lead it in scoring at the age of 16. No one has ever done this. Not Gretzky, Lemieux. Most 16 year olds are so intimidated they are just hoping not to embarass themselves.
This is the greatest league in the whole world for the 16-20 age group. It is an extremely competitive and cut throat league where players are willing to do anything to get ahead. I played with players that I though were awsome and they couldn't even make Major junior hockey.

Now Foppa, it is time you give Crosby the respect he deserves and admit I am right.
Don't attempt to debate me on this. I have paid respect to Ovechkin, it is time you show some maturity and pay respect to Crosby. :teach:

SwOOsh*

You make it sound like he should get on his knees and kiss your feet. Get over yourself.

stockwizard*

SwOOsh said:
You make it sound like he should get on his knees and kiss your feet. Get over yourself.
Thank you for your free advice.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stockwizard said:
Thank you for your free advice.

Crosby still has a lot to prove. I'd like to see him at least dominate a WJC or play for a Men's team before he's the next Canadian Jesus, i.e. Rick Moranis. ;)

He may be more marketable to a Canadian fan base, but I'm not sure it matters here in the States. Especially considering the Russian "Golden Boy" will be playing for a major Atlantic City.

It won't matter though, they'll keep this year's standings, and he'll end up in Pittsburgh somehow.

stockwizard*

EroCaps said:
Crosby still has a lot to prove. I'd like to see him at least dominate a WJC or play for a Men's team before he's the next Canadian Jesus, i.e. Rick Moranis. ;)

He may be more marketable to a Canadian fan base, but I'm not sure it matters here in the States. Especially considering the Russian "Golden Boy" will be playing for a major Atlantic City.

It won't matter though, they'll keep this year's standings, and he'll end up in Pittsburgh somehow.
Some would argue that in order to be the type of player to be considered one of the best of all time you have to be Canadian. This is because a number of reasons-style of play, better coaching, the quality of the minor hockey leagues, the importance of hockey in Canada and the Stanley Cup etc...
This is why Crosby top end potential is greater the Ovechkin.
No one doubts Ovechkin has the potential to be a great player, but Crosby has the potential to be one of the all time greats.

If both players had the same potential, I think the people in Washington would still much rather have a North American as opposed to a Russian that can barely speak English.
Crosby could do a lot more press related activity and be a leader in the Community. Most Russian Players aren't into community service.
Crosby would no doubt develop into a better team leader, as well I think the sale of the teams merchandise would improve a lot more with Crosby.
I would be willing to wager that Washingtons season tickey base would improve more with Crosby than with Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad