HF Habs: The official 2023-2024 tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yes at root I don't disagree but even competent GMs/scouting staffs make blunders.

I just have a lot of trouble behaving that an entry draft is an exact science when there's ample evidence to show it's clearly not.

Or perhaps it's MB era PTSD taking over.
No. You are right. A lot of it is a crap shoot. But when you are in the top 10 (in a decent draft) it can be pretty obvious who belongs there. Can't always determine desire, willingness to work at improving, and level of hockey sense though.
I never found anyone that said Slaf even had decent hockey sense but he certainly appears to.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm sorry but calling the forwards after Celibrini 2nd line forwards is very wrong. It's just that Celibrini is very very good he's an above average 1st overall pick. There's a couple of very good dmen though but that doesn't mean the forwards are not 1st line potential.
2nd tier, they may or they may not end up 1st line F not slam dunk

Celebrini is projected as a guaranteed 1st line F

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I expect 82-86 points next year, which would be a normal growth rate.
Nope. Not good enough. Playoffs or bust. Based on this year they only need 8 more wins. Considering that Allen cost Habs about 20 games this season that should be more than achievable.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Jets pick is currently 27th.

It will get worse if the Jets make it to the conference finals.

It will only improve if the teams that did not win their division and are lower than the Jets in the standings make the conference finals (ex. if Colorado makes the conference finals the Jets pick would improve to 26).

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The Jets pick is currently 27th.

It will get worse if the Jets make it to the conference finals.

It will only improve if the teams that did not win their division and are lower than the Jets in the standings make the conference finals (ex. if Colorado makes the conference finals the Jets pick would improve to 26).
I'm convinced the Jets are never going to lose another game this year.

Actually they'll probably make it all the way to the Stanley Cup final just like Florida last year again. Our pick will be #31 and we won't get that bonus 3rd round pick in 2027 that was a condition in this trade if the Jets win the Cup.

Last edited:

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
So we re 5th pick again, unless we win the lottery. Not bad...

But how is there 30 points separating the first 5 selections?

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
So we re 5th pick again, unless we win the lottery. Not bad...

But how is there 30 points separating the first 5 selections?
The NHL is a farce of a league with way too many teams (I always ring this futile bell). This is a problem that is guaranteed to get worse considering the Arizona re-buy conditions.

In a league with just 32 teams it would take that many years in a perfectly 'fair' system for each team to earn a Cup. If only they just eliminated Arizona instead of moving to another money-hole the chances would be a little better and each team would be slightly better.

Last edited:

Next Best Thing

Oct 31, 2022
The NHL is a farce of a league with way too many teams. This is a problem that is guaranteed to get worse considering the Arizona re-buy conditions.

In a league with just 32 teams it would take that many years in a perfectly 'fair' system for each team to earn a Cup. If only they just eliminated Arizona instead of moving to another money-hole.

I think they need to implement a sytem where if you get under a certain points floor you lose a pick or worst. Maybe a few balls at the least lol.

We stood no chance. Wouldn't of had Slaf even if this was 22.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I think they need to implement a sytem where if you get under a certain points floor you lose a pick or worst. Maybe a few balls at the least lol.
Honestly, a relegation league with the AHL another step down would be preferable.

I'm a broken alarm but I will ring it again 'on average your team will now win 1 Cup every 32+ years.' STOP using a Cup win as your defining idea of success unless you're ready for potentially decades of disappointment.

Reactions: bsl and morhilane

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Eiserman at 5 means they assume Demidov Lindstrom and Iginla are all gone I can't imagine the draft going like that
Nah, the tankathon website had Demidov #2 always then a swap between Levshunov and Silayav for 3rd-4th with us alywas picking Eiserman 5th. I was just complaining about the website's poor scouting. Sorry, I should've clarified.

Reactions: habsfan891

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Currently 27th…highest should be 23th if all higher seeds fail to make the conference finals. It’s not worth obsessing about the WPG pick
First we need The Jets to not make the conference finals. Then we need 4 lower seeds to make the conference finals.

In the east, two of Tampa, Boston, Toronto, NYI, Washington.

In the west, two of Edmonton, Colorado, Vegas, Nashville, and LA.

Colorado beating the Jets would kill two birds with one stone.

It's not worth obsessing over, but I will anyways. 23rd sounds a lot better than 27th.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hacketts

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Honestly, a relegation league with the AHL another step down would be preferable.

I'm a broken alarm but I will ring it again 'on average your team will now win 1 Cup every 32+ years.' STOP using a Cup win as your defining idea of success unless you're ready for potentially decades of disappointment.
I was alive for 15 cup wins. So, the first 30 years, we saw them win all the time! Now, the last 30 years, I guess that winning the 2nd round is good enough.

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
Rust we need The Jets to not make the conference finals. Then we need 4 lower seeds to make the conference finals.

In the east, two of Tampa, Boston, Toronto, NYI, Washington.

In the west, two of Edmonton, Colorado, Vegas, Nashville, and LA.

Colorado beating the Jets would kill two birds with one stone.

It's not worth obsessing over, but I will anyways. 23rd sounds a lot better than 27th.
Would be very surprised if we use that pick to draft a player. Most likely going to be used as part of a package for an NHL ready player. 23 or 27is not going to make or break that deal, that’s why don’t stress about it.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
What's the general preference:
A) Hope for an early WPG exit and secure pick around #24-27
B) Hope for WPG cup and get pick #32 + a 3rd

Also curious if we had #32 and offered a 3rd how much could we move up. Guessing only 2-3 spots at max

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think they are going to trade up with it this year
Would be very surprised if we use that pick to draft a player. Most likely going to be used as part of a package for an NHL ready player. 23 or 27is not going to make or break that deal, that’s why don’t stress about it.

Would be great if we trade up. It's easier to trade up from 23 than 27.

But if we want to trade up, given who will be on the board, why would other teams want to trade down, given who will be off the board?

The Penguins 14th overall pick, which belongs to the Sharks, could be a target. Would they be interested in adding to their young upcoming dcore the likes of Barron, Struble, and/or Harris as part of a package to move up?

How much trade value do Engstrom and Bogdan have? And, Farrell, Mesar, Heineman, Ylonen, or RHP? Primeau?

Are one of Beck or Kapanen worth sacrificing?

Their cupboard is kind of sparse. But are those the kind of players they want to fill it with?
For sure it will be interesting to see what HuGo do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad