Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part II: 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If we do move Cowen for Monahan then it just wouldn't make sense. Yes Monahan may have number 1 potential but so does Zibanejad.

Why would we move to get a center when we already have a top 5-10 center for at least another 5 years and a legitamate number 2 and 3 centers who could be 1B centers in 2 years.

Unless we select Lindholm cause he plays RW as well, it just makes no sense to me.

If Ottawa trades Cowen for Monahan then I expect to trade Spezza for Shattenkirk, Schwartz and whoever cause obviously we aren't looking to compete right away so might as well pick-up assets so in 2-3 years we have all pieces. I'm just saying.

Our D has a top pair and then 4 bottom pairing D's.

I don't necessarily agree with that part. RIGHT NOW, maybe. But at the start of next season, if or when Cowen and Wiercioch are healthy and have had a good summer of working out and a training camp under their belts. Almost assuredly one, and hopefully both of them can be top-4 defensemen if not at the beginning of the season, towards the 2nd half of it for sure. The potential is certainly there.

Either way, the way our D is shaped, we don't really need to label our defensemen. We have Methot and Karlsson who can play a ton, and then the minutes can be separated between the rest.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't necessarily agree with that part. RIGHT NOW, maybe. But at the start of next season, if or when Cowen and Wiercioch are healthy and have had a good summer of working out and a training camp under their belts. Almost assuredly one, and hopefully both of them can be top-4 defensemen if not at the beginning of the season, towards the 2nd half of it for sure. The potential is certainly there.

Either way, the way our D is shaped, we don't really need to label our defensemen. We have Methot and Karlsson who can play a ton, and then the minutes can be separated between the rest.

I'm talking about if we do deal Cowen.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
what if Calgary asked for our first prince and stone for 6th overall? where do you guys sit on a deal like that? too much to give up? seems like it.

I'm not saying do that at all I'm just throwing whatever around.

Done, where do I sign up? :)

WhiteLight*

Can't believe people are so quick to give up on Stone. All the guy does is score at every level.

He led Bingo in scoring despite a slow start due to injuries. He was ppg in the last 30 games. The guy will be a scoring winger in the NHL and he has 1st line potential.

Stone + 17th + Prince for 6th? Come on guys. And I really like Monahan. Prince and Stone could easily be 2/4 of the team's top 2 line wingers.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Can't believe people are so quick to give up on Stone. All the guy does is score at every level.

He led Bingo in scoring despite a slow start due to injuries. He was ppg in the last 30 games. The guy will be a scoring winger in the NHL and he has 1st line potential.

Stone + 17th + Prince for 6th? Come on guys. And I really like Monahan. Prince and Stone could easily be 2/4 of the team's top 2 line wingers.

Who is giving up on Stone? He's a good prospect and has value, that's why he's being included in trade proposals. Not because people have given up on him.

Gotta give to get.

WhiteLight*

Who is giving up on Stone? He's a good prospect and has value, that's why he's being included in trade proposals. Not because people have given up on him.

Gotta give to get.

Stone is just as likely to develop into a 1st line winger as Monahan is into a 1st line centre. Centres are more valuable, but the difference isn't Prince and 17th.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Stone is just as likely to develop into a 1st line winger as Monahan is into a 1st line centre. Centres are more valuable, but the difference isn't Prince and 17th.

True.

Not saying I like the deal cause I wouldn't do it either. Just saying I don't see anyone giving up on Stone.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Yo have to give to get my friend. I don't think anyone around here is advocating to move Stone, but he holds a lot of value.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/28...e-up-from-no-17-spot-in-pre-draft-trade-talks

One team asked for Turris and the 17th for the Sens to move up. :amazed:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
For every GM that intends to trade their pick there are six or seven that say they are willing but set the price so high either no one bites, and they pick their guy, or they make a killing.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Yo have to give to get my friend. I don't think anyone around here is advocating to move Stone, but he holds a lot of value.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/28...e-up-from-no-17-spot-in-pre-draft-trade-talks

One team asked for Turris and the 17th for the Sens to move up. :amazed:

You have no idea which team asked for that. It could have been Philly, it could have been Nashville. Evidently, BM is smart so I tend to believe it someone closer to Philly than the top of the round, but still, classic Ottawa Sun.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Saw this on the Habs board:

Martin McGuire on 98.5 FM tonight:

http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=181719

(7:30 mark)

- The worst kept secret in NJ/NY right now is that the Habs want to move up. They are very active.

- The info he has gathered is that the Habs want to get into the top 17-18. They want someone who clearly won't be there at 25.

My French sucks but I wonder if the sens are thinking of trading down with Montreal who have 25, 34, 36, and 55 I think

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You have no idea which team asked for that. It could have been Philly, it could have been Nashville. Evidently, BM is smart so I tend to believe it someone closer to Philly than the top of the round, but still, classic Ottawa Sun.

I can't see Philly asking for a centre with Schenn and Couturier there. They would have asked for Lehner or Cowen realistically because they need defence. That's why JVR was expendable last year, they needed capable bodies on their blue line. It was probably Nashville or Calgary asking for Turris as both are in dire need of a number 1 centre.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Moving down essentially means acquiring more picks that are poised for a later spot in the draft. Say we trade our 17th for Montreal's 1st + 2nd, we'd be selecting two players in the first two rounds rather than one. However, with our 17th, we'd be selecting a player who is of higher quality than Montreal's 1st or 2nd round pick. Then it boils down to quality vs. quantity.

I personally think we should either move up or stay at 17th. The Sens already have a plethora of decent guys in the system; we don't need even more average players. I'm hoping we go for a guy with huge potential at 17th. That is the kind of prospect the Sens need right now.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Saw this on the Habs board:

My French sucks but I wonder if the sens are thinking of trading down with Montreal who have 25, 34, 36, and 55 I think

Could be the difference of mantha/rychel at 17 for example vs gauthier and erne/haag/?

Another tough decision but probably don't do it. It's going to depend how the draft goes. They'll decide at some point before 17 if they are considering it.

SensFan26

Oct 27, 2009
Sturgeon County, AB
I'd put a lot of money on that the team that asked for Turris and 17 was Calgary. Carolina wants a defenseman in a trade for the 5th, and the Oilers don't need another forward

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'd put a lot of money on that the team that asked for Turris and 17 was Calgary. Carolina wants a defenseman in a trade for the 5th, and the Oilers don't need another forward

makes sense that it would be calgary but i would just draft monahan if i were them.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I'd speculate Dallas was the one that wanted to swap #10 for Turris & #17.

Murray said no way, but I still wouldn't be totally surprised to see #10 & Faksa for #17, Turris & Da Costa at the draft. Especially if or Monahan or Ristolainen makes it to #10.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I'd speculate Dallas was the one that wanted to swap #10 for Turris & #17.

Murray said no way, but I still wouldn't be totally surprised to see #10 & Faksa for #17, Turris & Da Costa at the draft. Especially if or Monahan or Ristolainen makes it to #10.

you crazy, there is just no way Turris is moved with out and eriksson or benn coming the other book it.

Turris already puts up a 50+ point pace in his first season manning our top center position. no way will we move him for monohan. He's a fringe 1B NHL player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad