The NHL teams missing on Shesterkin in the 2014 Draft was a massive collective miss

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
I also like how the OP jumps over the fact it took him 5 years to come over. Shit like that does factor into how a team drafts

and here is the draft
A few teams found diamonds in the rough that year

for those who play down picks after the 3rd round?

Player with 250+games in the NHL

Jacob Middleton
Jake Evans
Ondrej Kase
Pierre Engvall
Victor Olofsson
Sammy Blais
Kevin Labanc
Oskar Lindblom
Gustav Forsling
Michael Bunting

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I also like how the OP jumps over the fact it took him 5 years to come over. Shit like that does factor into how a team drafts

and here is the draft
A few teams found diamonds in the rough that year

for those who play down picks after the 3rd round?

Player with 250+games in the NHL

Jacob Middleton
Jake Evans
Ondrej Kase
Pierre Engvall
Victor Olofsson
Sammy Blais
Kevin Labanc
Oskar Lindblom
Gustav Forsling
Michael Bunting
drafting a 17 or 18 year old goalie with the idea of that goalie needing to be NHL ready within 5 years is stupid. the only ones that you can realistically project that timeline are top 10 goalies and drafting a goalie top 10 isnt something id want to do. even the really hyped goalies that were taken in 2021, wallstedt and cossa havent contributed anything at the NHL level within 3 years of being drafted and nothing shows that they will be significant contributers in their 4th post draft season.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I mean obviously, but you can say the same thing about almost every player ever who was drafted after the first round and had a good career. Nothing really insightful about this take whatsoever.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not so much for a goaltender imo. Sub-23 year old goaltenders COMBINED for 58 NHL games played this season. 18 year old Zachary Benson played 71 games himself for comparison.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
It’s become abundantly clear that the nhl needs to learn how to scout goalies better.
Forwards , many 18 year olds make the NHL , Defensemen it's the rare 18 year old that makes it , Goalie , has an 18 year old played in the NHL (other than emergency call up) and stayed?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Forwards , many 18 year olds make the NHL , Defensemen it's the rare 18 year old that makes it , Goalie , has an 18 year old played in the NHL (other than emergency call up) and stayed?
The last one was Dan Blackburn. Most famous recent(ish) one was Tom Barrasso. Based on his birthday, Fleury was not eligible but played quite a number of games in the season directly after he was drafted.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Rangers have the best goalie coach in the league. Maybe whoever we took would've become Igor.
I know there's some holes to poke in this, but I feel there a lot of truth to this. Canucks also have a great coach in Ian Clark. He reportedly handpicks the goalies at the draft, too, and I'm sure he directs pro signings as well. The Canucks have a great record of getting a lot out of their goaltender draft picks and pro signings. Coaching and development is huge for goalies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Goalies are like kickers and closers. Very hard to predict. Draft a bunch and hope one works out.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
NHL teams missed on Ilya Sorokin, Juuse Saros and Brayden Point too in 2014, i fail to see why OP is going this hard over Shesterkin.

He's good but don't act like there aren't late round picks who teams regret a ton. Speaking from experience, there's a lot of players who I wish the islanders drafted over who they did, especially in 2013 and 2014...
Taylor Cammarata anyone?

For every Shesterkin, there are 25 Daniil Chechelevs
For every Ilya Sorokin, there are 10 Linus Soderstrom's and Mikko Koskinens.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
The last one was Dan Blackburn. Most famous recent(ish) one was Tom Barrasso. Based on his birthday, Fleury was not eligible but played quite a number of games in the season directly after he was drafted.

Fleury would have likely stayed up longer but he had a games-played bonus (at 25 games) and the Penguins did not want to/could not afford to pay that, so he was sent to the World Juniors and then back to the QMJHL after playing 21 games.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
As far as Henrik Lundvist goes, the Rangers took him as their last pick that year, and almost forgot they wanted to take him. It would have been much more impressive if they took him as their first pick, and everyone rolled their eyes and fell about laughing not knowing who he was.

Not just in hockey, but it never ceases to amaze me how everyone's an expert after the fact.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
So good should have gone 2oa

This ignores one of the fundamental rules of succeeding in the draft (aside from hindsight bias).

If you have perfect knowledge and know that no one else is going to take Shesterkin until (at minimum) the fourth round, then taking him second overall is terrible draft management. Take someone higher rated second overall, then get Shesterkin where you ultimately did.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This ignores one of the fundamental rules of succeeding in the draft (aside from hindsight bias).

If you have perfect knowledge and know that no one else is going to take Shesterkin until (at minimum) the fourth round, then taking him second overall is terrible draft management. Take someone higher rated second overall, then get Shesterkin where you ultimately did.

This is not a Rangers comment since they took another goalie in the second round, but if you think he's 2nd round good but will be there in the 4th round, do you take him in the second or fourth if he's still available? I always wonder this, especially with a guy like Tom Brady.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad