The NHL needs to make all majors reviewable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If you look at it from the perspective of how many goals you'd expect to give up killing a major, which I'd imagine hovers around .6 or .7 (this can be argued, but it's less than one goal), there'd be a lot less controversy here. For example, this call in isolation was probably less impactful to the outcome of the game than the missed high stick on VGK's 2nd goal.

Exactly this. The Sharks scored around .66 goals every 5 minutes at 5 on 4 in the regular season. Before that major, they had scored .43 goals every five minutes at 5 on 4 in this series. The extra goals came from Vegas's bad penalty killing.

On top of that, the NHL obviously botching that review when Eakin's stick looked to first make contact at shoulder height (a foot and a half above the crossbar) in the same game should be a cautionary tale to those who think the league would do any better with penalty reviews.

Reactions: Phu

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If they called it interference instead of crosscheck, then 5 minute major is correct call. No more video reviews. They still haven't got the other ones right yet.

Not even then. A major is based on 'the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent.' Statsny didnt't blow him up, hit him in the head, or slam him to the ice.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wow, if the Sharks win, this is a disgrace that will follow the NHL for a long time.
I've already forgotten about it. Bad calls happen, this was one of them. But let's not go overboard here.

I think it will stick with Vegas fans for a while though. :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Was a good call

Gutless plays like crosschecking should be 5min majors.
Questionable if it even deserved two minutes. Those kinds of things happen all the time.

The refs don't have the hindsight/replays that the audience do. They blew the call but it's easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback. A guy gets knocked down and starts bleeding... not surprising there's a reactionary call.

Reactions: Pia8988

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
Exactly this. The Sharks scored around .66 goals every 5 minutes at 5 on 4 in the regular season. Before that major, they had scored .43 goals every five minutes at 5 on 4 in this series. The extra goals came from Vegas's bad penalty killing.

On top of that, the NHL obviously botching that review when Eakin's stick looked to first make contact at shoulder height (a foot and a half above the crossbar) in the same game should be a cautionary tale to those who think the league would do any better with penalty reviews.
Wrong- last night was a clear example of almost 100% agreement that a major was the wrong call that would have easily been rectified by a review. Full stop. So all the ifs and buts and stats about LV penalty kill is irrelevant, they should not have been in that position to begin with if not for incompetence from the reffing crew, which I hope will be banned from playoffs. Oh well you can guarantee next year major penalties are reviewable so it’s a moot point now.
And to say the tip was a foot and a half above the crossbar when there wasn’t an obvious angle is homerism at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Duck Knight

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
Penalties arent reviewed period. A lot of the reasoning behind it is subjective.
You expect refs to change their call that easy?
Next year they will be reviewable you can guarantee after this PR nightmare. The league can’t defend this - no explanation passes the sniff test. They bowed to the pressure of the fans and blood. It’s the worst example of game fixing I’ve ever seen...

Reactions: Hal 9000

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
4 goals against in a 5 minute span of being shorthanded.

Learn to kill a penalty.

Bad calls happen numerous times each game. Up to the teams to respond to said calls. Vegas failed to respond in spectacular fashion.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018
4 goals against in a 5 minute span of being shorthanded.

Learn to kill a penalty.

Bad calls happen numerous times each game. Up to the teams to respond to said calls. Vegas failed to respond in spectacular fashion.
Except it was game 7 - refs decided to impact the series then and there. It’s disgusting.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Questionable if it even deserved two minutes. Those kinds of things happen all the time.

The refs don't have the hindsight/replays that the audience do. They blew the call but it's easy for us to sit here and armchair quarterback. A guy gets knocked down and starts bleeding... not surprising there's a reactionary call.

To say that even a minor penalty was questionable is well....questionable. The crosscheck was a text book example of a crosscheck so lets not pretend that at least 2 minutes was not deserved.

We can all argue about whether the major was justified or not but that does not change the fact that a text book crosscheck started the whole sequence of events off.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
To say that even a minor penalty was questionable is well....questionable. The crosscheck was a text book example of a crosscheck so lets not pretend that at least 2 minutes was not deserved.

We can all argue about whether the major was justified or not but that does not change the fact that a text book crosscheck started the whole sequence of events off.
No it wasn't. Pushes/crosschecks off the faceoff happen 20 times a game and are never called unless it is to the head.

The referees fabricated a major penalty out of nothing.

Max1997

Oct 12, 2018

A cross check that gets maybe 2 mins and we’ve seen 1000 times all season

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No it wasn't. Pushes/crosschecks off the faceoff happen 20 times a game and are never called unless it is to the head.

The referees fabricated a major penalty out of nothing.

This game has written rules that define such things, whether you agree with the call or not it's clear that the cross-checking penalty was one according to those rules.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Next year they will be reviewable you can guarantee after this PR nightmare. The league can’t defend this - no explanation passes the sniff test. They bowed to the pressure of the fans and blood. It’s the worst example of game fixing I’ve ever seen...
And worse penalty killing

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
A cross check that gets maybe 2 mins and we’ve seen 1000 times all season

That particular crosscheck would get called more times than not in the regular season. It was not the run of the mill light tap after a faceoff, it was delivered with such force it knocked a player off his feet.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This game has written rules that define such things, whether you agree with the call or not it's clear that the cross-checking penalty was one according to those rules.
I hope you post in every GDT whenever a team violates the written rules with an illegal line change.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I hope you post in every GDT whenever a team violates the written rules with an illegal line change.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

Wait...wait! Game fixing? Who paid Vegas to choke up a 3 goal lead a surrender 4 goals in under 5 minutes?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The speed limit on highway 401 is 100. Everyone does 120. Is it against the law? Sure. But the speed of traffic is 120 and nobody gets busted for it.

That crosscheck happens all the time with no call. And it would've been ignored if that guy doesn't fall and start bleeding all over the ice.
You can say textbook all you want... it happens all the time without being called. At most it's a two minute penalty, if it's a penalty at all.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
The speed limit on highway 401 is 100. Everyone does 120. Is it against the law? Sure. But the speed of traffic is 120 and nobody gets busted for it.

That crosscheck happens all the time with no call. And it would've been ignored if that guy doesn't fall and start bleeding all over the ice.

You can say textbook all you want... it happens all the time without being called. At most it's a two minute penalty, if it's a penalty at all.

How many times are players cross checked so hard they are knocked off their feet AND there is no penalty called? This normally gets called in the regular season so I am not sure why people are questioning it now.

Watching the hit at normal speed instead of slow motion also shows it was a lot more forceful than a standard faceoff shove.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How many times are players cross checked so hard they are knocked off their feet AND there is no penalty called? This normally gets called in the regular season so I am not sure why people are questioning it now.

Watching the hit at normal speed instead of slow motion also shows it was a lot more forceful than a standard faceoff shove.
As I said, maybe it's two minutes but that's it. No way it's a five minute penalty. It's certainly not something that's going to get called every time. And I think if he lands on his shoulder it probably doesn't get called at all.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
As I said, maybe it's two minutes but that's it. No way it's a five minute penalty. It's certainly not something that's going to get called every time. And I think if he lands on his shoulder it probably doesn't get called at all.

Pavelski did not have much choice on how he landed did he? While it is unfortunate that he got hurt I think the refs got it right. The crosscheck starts it off and the secondary collision with Statsny ensures that Pavelski has an awkward landing. None of this happens without the crosscheck and Pavelski was defenseless for the most part.

Blame the refs all you want but Eakin is the one who made a stupid play at a time where his team was in a comfortable position.

Reactions: Phu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad